Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-02-2017, 01:08 PM   #1
nb141fd

Default 1930 Coupe rear window panel repair

Hi, I have a 1930 coupe that has severe damage to the bead area of the panel above the deck lid.

Apparently a previous owner used body filler to shape the damaged bead. I would like to replace it if possible. I found the panel shown below from Brookville (A850B), they list it as both a 30-31 Bead 4 Foot Long and again as a 30-31 pickup cab back patch panel. I'm a little confused as to whether it can be made to work in my situation.

The panel is about 7" wide x 4' long with a 1 1/8" bead at the bottom. If anyone has experience using this panel to repair the bead above the deck lid on a coup I would appreciate hearing about your experience. I contacted Brookville and asked if the panel has a crown to it as the original is not straight across and am waiting to hear back from them.

TIA, Tony
nb141fd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:04 PM   #2
nb141fd

Default Re: 1930 Coupe rear window panel repair

I heard back from Brookville and apparently the panel is flat and has no crown at the base of the bead as the original panel has. I don't have any idea how a crown could be put into this panel due to its size restriction.

It looks like I am faced with trying to find an original panel from the roof to the panel above the deck lid or try to fashion some type of bead by use of a bead roller or free forming. If anyone has any advice or has encountered this problem I would appreciate your input.

Tony
Old 08-02-2017, 02:48 PM   #3
Bob C

I'm not a metal man but I wonder if you could use a shrinker on that bottom flange
to put a crown in it?

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:33 PM   #4
Marshall V. Daut

It looks to me like a heck of a lot more work and risk if you try to replace that panel. It's part of the rear window metal and will be difficult to separate and then replace, especially with all those contours. I'd try to save it first.
In the past, I have made similar repairs on coupes and roadsters in this area by using a two-part filler called All Metal/All Steel. It's silver and when mixed with the liquid catalyst, it can be shaped and contoured like plastic filler until it sets up. Then it is very strong and less likely to crack in such areas. It sands like aluminum and gives off silver air-borne dust, so wear a mask. You sand it like Bondo, but it will be much tougher and last longer.
I'll take a photo of the quart can I have tomorrow. I recommend you try this before ripping apart your coupe body and then discovering you've done more harm than good. This would be a challenge for even an experienced body man! It's not like installing lower quarter patch panels.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:53 PM   #5
nb141fd

Thanks Bob and Marshall, I appreciate the information.

Tony
Old 08-03-2017, 10:34 AM   #6
nb141fd

I was thinking it might be possible for me to 'patch' portions of the bead that have the most damage. I could cut and patch 3" or 4" sections and maintain the integrity of the panel. Does anyone know if I can reproduce this bead profile on a budget bead roller like the one sold by Eastwood or Harbor Freight? If not, does anyone make a bead patch that is pretty accurate as far as width and depth of the bead I am referencing.

If you have had any experience repairing this bead I would sure appreciate hearing from you. Thanks

Tony
Old 08-03-2017, 02:34 PM   #7
Brentwood Bob

Have you done a search for the original panel? Seems like that would give you a better outcome. Try Bert's in Denver.
The panel you would replace is out there.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:00 PM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I/we actually manufactured a panel very similar to the one you are needing for a customer several years ago on our Pullmax. Being frank with you, that is an expensive panel to fabricate if you are expecting 'exacting' results. As to whether the patch panel from Antique Auto Sheetmetal can be used, yes ...if someone has the patience and talent to see it thru. I am not trying to belittle or talk down to you, but we honestly do not know what your capabilities are, ...but remember everyone that is a professional now had to do their first one at some point. If you feel that you can, you definitely have our support.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:38 PM   #9
Marshall V. Daut

Here's a photo of the stuff I referred to in my post yesterday. Other brands have different names for it, such as "All Metal" or "All Steel", etc. It's probably all basically the same stuff.
Marshall
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1608_resized.jpg (117.5 KB, 23 views)
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:18 AM   #10
nb141fd

Thanks Brentwood Bob, Brent and Marshall I appreciate the information and support.

Tony