Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
Dutchtreat

Question Lincoln Y-Blocks and Ford Y-Blocks???

Ok I do not have much info on Y-blocks. But I do know that Ford had the 239,272,292 & 312 and Lincoln had the 317,341 and 368. Will intakes and exhaust manifolds made for the Ford Y-Blocks fit the Lincoln Y-Blocks? Which of the Lincoln Y-Blocks were Hyd cammed. What parts will interchange between the Lincoln Y-Blocks and the ford y-Blocks?
Thanks Guys
Dutch
Dutchtreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
rick55

Default Re: Lincoln Y-Blocks and Ford Y-Blocks???

The 317 of 1954 has hydraulic lifters - don't know about the later models. The intakes of that year will not fit a y block as the intakes are side by side, not stacked like a y block. The exhausts have same configuration but I don't know about the spacing. The 317 has a 3.8" bore and 3.5" stroke. I would think that although all these engines look similar there is very little interchangeability between them and the Ford engines. I would think they are not a common engine to get hold of.
Regards

1958 Ford Mainline Utility, 1955 Ford Tudor Sedan

Quote:
Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.
Henry Ford
rick55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
46yblock

The exhaust manifolds are not a swap, as some guys have found out the hard way. Lincoln RHs show up fairly often on ebay. Rams Horns were on the Lincoln Y's in trucks, 279, 302, (I forget where the displacement went after 302). A later model dist. will fit into an older Lincoln with it's Loadomatic if the dist. gear is changed. Oil pumps are the same. Intermediate shaft between dist. and oil pump same. That is about it. Not even the rocker arms will interchange. The 341 cu in engine was one year only, then it went to 368.

Last edited by 46yblock; 04-28-2012 at 06:28 PM.
46yblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
streetdreams

Location: Howell, Michigan, USA, The Peoples Slightly Overspent Demodependancy of Michigan

I've got some adapters designed up on the CAD/CAM to allow the Lincoln Ram's horns to be used on a Ford Y-Block. But with the off shore re-pops of the Ford ram's, plus the higher prices and demand of the Lincolns, they never went past proto.
streetdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:28 AM   #5
Dutchtreat

Thanks Guys for the info. I did a little digging on the internet and got so more info on the Lincoln Y Blocks. So I guess my next ? is are there(were there) any Aluminum intakes manifolds made for the Lincoln Y Blocks?
Dutchtreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
Ole Don

There also was a 302 and a 332 version of the Lincoln engine in F800 and T750 and 850 trucks. If my foggy memory serves me right, the truck version had a gear drive cam, solid lifters. The 332 I drove had a good sized four barrel carb. I read once the Lincolns that dominated the Mexican Road Race had truck cam drives and lifters.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
scicala

The only aluminum intake I am aware of for Lincoln Y Blocks would be the factory M335 dual quad intake made in 1957 and intended for NASCAR racing with the 368 engine. They are on EBAY from time to time, but go as high as $3K. There is one on EBAY now. The factory single 4 bbl. cast iron intake is about all else that is available.
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
streetdreams

Location: Howell, Michigan, USA, The Peoples Slightly Overspent Demodependancy of Michigan

I think I've seen either Edmunds or Fenton intakes also in 2x4.
streetdreams is offline   Reply With Quote