Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #1
More Dust than Rust

Default 1934 Model BB rear brake drum/hub grease retainers

A squeaky wheel and those with no grease retainers get the grease. Apparently when the rear brakes were done about 40 years ago the rubber guts of the inner grease retainer (p/n BB-1175-C) was thought to be optional.

Actually pretty happy about the condition of the brakes, looks like they were "just" done. Was thinking they were not working since everything was all worn out, but actually just well lubricated. Hopefully a little degreaser and the old "like new" shoes will function OK.

I am wondering though what keeps the rear end oil from getting into the wheel bearings other than its level being slightly below the axles? What about when parked for extended times on the side of a hill? My locking plate was in the inner groove of the outer grease retainer which seems right to me although in the service bulletin it looks by itself. Maybe the amount of oil that would seep past that assembly is insignificant.

Suggestions for refilling?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear Axle Truck.jpg (65.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg left rear drum.jpg (50.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg rear hub components.jpg (45.1 KB, 23 views)
More Dust than Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:33 AM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: 1934 Model BB rear brake drum/hub grease retainers

The rear oil is what lubes the bearing.

Most likely it was leather ---not rubber.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 10:26 PM   #3
Fredsr

Those early full floating axles used two different types of grease retainers in the wheel hubs: a steel seal (BB-1176-B) and compression ring (BB-1175-B) assembly in 1934 and a rubber-lined seal on 1935+ FFA on (both shown in the attached photo -compression ring not shown).
(1) The 1934 steel seal (BB-1176-B), front left, rides on a compression ring (BB-1175-B) that sits/rotates in a channel on the axle housing. See the attached drawing. The seal flange extends inwards past the ring so that any grease that gets past it will wind up in a sheet metal cone that bolts up with the brake and emergency backing plates..
(2) The 1935 grease seal (BB-1175-C), upper right, has a rubber seal that rides on a polished section of the axle housing.

The two seals are not compatible or interchangeable as the 1934 axle housing does not have the polished section needed for the rubber seal, but instead, the spring clip in a channel in the axle housing that needs to be compressed by the steel seal. The surrounding areas are rough and thus unsuitable for the 1935 rubber seal. Another issue is that the newer BB-1175-C has a stepped middle section that will not fit into the sheet metal cone present on 1934 backing plates.

I have been unable to determine whether 1935 and newer backing plates included the cone section or whether the rubber seal rendered it unnecessary. In any case, it seems that a 1934 axle housing is not the same as a 1935 axle housing.

Judging from the photos on this thread, the steel seal seems to function OK if a fairly stiff grease is used on the bearing. The manuals I have consulted call for a "short fiber sodium soap grease" (1934) and Ford wheel bearing grease M-544 (1935 on).

I am in the process of having new brakes and emergency pads installed on the shoes because of excessive grease in the brake area (there is no way I have ever heard of to restore greasy or oily brake pads). Initially I suspected the grease came from the differential or the hub bearings. But the seals seem to be adequate.
I now suspect the grease did not leak past the hub bearings seals or come from the differential, but was the result of over-zealous greasing of the brake actuator shaft (there is a grease nipple next to it on the outside of the backing plate).

One other thing: The 1935 (BB-1175-C) seals are easy to find, being in use up to (at least) the late 40s. The 1934 steel seal (BB-1176-B) is not being made (to my knowledge) although they occasional show up on Ebay, etc. Fortunately, they really don't wear out. But who knows exactly when the change to rubber seals was made. So, if you have a 1934 BB Ford, inspect your axle shaft to be certain which type of seal should be used.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040732_lev50pc.jpg (44.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 2021-04-25-0001.jpg (56.9 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Fredsr; 05-25-2021 at 10:53 PM. Reason: photo lost/add info
Fredsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:08 AM   #4
Bob C

What is BB-1175-B? The parts book says to use it with BB-1176-B. In figure 239 of the March 1934 Service bulletins looks like BB-1175-B fits inside BB-1176-B.
I saw a post on another site and they are calling the item in the picture BB-1176.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BB-1176-B.jpg (17.7 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Bob C; 04-25-2021 at 11:17 AM.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 09:46 PM   #5
Fredsr

Yes, the BB-1175-B (in your photo) fits/compresses inside the grease seal BB-1176-B which is pressed into the hub. BB-1175-B rides in a groove cut into the axle housing. This assembly and groove are unique to 1934 BB trucks with full-floating axles (1935+ FFA uses a rubber grease seal BB-1175-C and a axle housing with a polished area for the seal). When the 1934 hub assembly is installed on the axle, the outer flange of the BB-1176-B seal slides over, and compresses, the BB-1175 ring (if the hub stalls at about 1/2" from full seating, BB-1176-B may be banging into the edge face of BB-1175-B, rather than compressing it. The outer hub may need to be wiggled around a bit to get the seal flange over the compression ring). BB-1176-B flange extends past the compression ring BB-1175-B and into a sheet metal cone (bolted up with the backing plate and emergency backing plate) that catches any grease that gets past the seal/ring and keeps it away from the brake pads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2021-04-25-0001.jpg (56.9 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Fredsr; 05-25-2021 at 09:52 PM. Reason: correct numbers
Fredsr is offline   Reply With Quote