Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-19-2017, 08:03 PM   #1
Synchro909

Default Fs

A short time ago, I started a thread about a high speed miss in my A. Well, I replaced the FS distributor with a rebuilt original style one and the problem was gone. Clearly there is a gremlin in the FS dizzy. I have sorted another problem with this dist. in the past very quickly after getting in touch with Mel at FS who I found to be very prompt and reliable in responding to messages. With that experience, I sent them an email yesterday which would have arrived over night their time. So far there has been no response and their business day is over by now.
Does anybody have any knowledge of why that might be? I am prepared to wait (have no option) but this seems out of character.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:56 PM   #2
updraught

Default Re: Fs

If your email is "outlook" and his email is "gmail" your email will end up in his junk folder. Probably other combinations of mail are the same.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:29 PM   #3
larrys40

Synchro ,
As I has said in your original thread most thought to be carb related problems are electrical.
I had mentioned your ground as most if the electronic systems are sensitive to a good ground which can be a variable in a model A .
I would recheck all grounds and use a digital volt ohm meter to check for the path and resistance
Other than a module going flaky that would be my guess. You might also check the pigtail connection on the electronic unit .
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:10 PM   #4
H. L. Chauvin

Hi 909,

As far as your no response to your email, every now & then my computer sends an email to my "Outbox" where the email just sits there and never leaves.

Every now & then I check my "Outbox", re-send this particular delayed email, and off it goes.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:24 PM   #5
CT Jack

Larry's point is well made. I would run a ground from block to frame. Also isolate the negative input to the module from the battery. It should a direct line to your key with no other devices connected. You are not supposed to use a popout style key switch either. You mentioned the coil was changed but didn't say what type it was. According to the literature you should not use a hot coil unless you have the correct wires, cap material, and rotor. Your module is made by Petronix, I would contact them for their reasoning.
CT Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:34 PM   #6
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
A short time ago, I started a thread about a high speed miss in my A. Well, I replaced the FS distributor with a rebuilt original style one and the problem was gone. Clearly there is a gremlin in the FS dizzy. I have sorted another problem with this dist. in the past very quickly after getting in touch with Mel at FS who I found to be very prompt and reliable in responding to messages. With that experience, I sent them an email yesterday which would have arrived over night their time. So far there has been no response and their business day is over by now.
Does anybody have any knowledge of why that might be? I am prepared to wait (have no option) but this seems out of character.
Maybe he does not want to deal with you any more, plain and simple! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:21 AM   #7
Synchro909

Synchro ,
As I has said in your original thread most thought to be carb related problems are electrical.
I had mentioned your ground as most if the electronic systems are sensitive to a good ground which can be a variable in a model A .
I would recheck all grounds and use a digital volt ohm meter to check for the path and resistance
Other than a module going flaky that would be my guess. You might also check the pigtail connection on the electronic unit .
Larry Shepard

Maybe he does not want to deal with you any more, plain and simple! Wayne

Larry,
The system was working fine for years wired the way it was before the miss developed and I took it out. I'm confident the ground is good but I'll check it again. I'll take nothing for granted. Thanks for the input.

Wayne,
I have been told that Mel is not in the business at the moment and that those who are there are not technical people. It seems to me that if they don't know the answer to my questions, it is reasonable for them to leave it till Mel is back.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Mel is great for customer service, the reason why you might not have gotten a response yet is because I was told last week that he was in the hospital for a heart condition.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:36 AM   #9
Art Newland

Syncro, I was thinking (sometimes that's dangerous!) you could take CTJack's ideas one step further and wire your ignition module straight to the battery. All it would take is some wire, a switch, some connectors, and some time. Just keep your polarity correct for your setup. That would eliminate any question about power flow/ground, etc. You could pick up power at the starter battery cable connection, and run a ground to the battery ground strap. I do have a short cable (a 12 volt battery cable with eyelets on both ends) that I run from where my battery ground strap attaches to the frame, over to a bolt on the transmission to get a better ground. When I did this, I got a noticeable increase in cranking speed.
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 05:34 PM   #10
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
Syncro, I was thinking (sometimes that's dangerous!) you could take CTJack's ideas one step further and wire your ignition module straight to the battery. All it would take is some wire, a switch, some connectors, and some time. Just keep your polarity correct for your setup. That would eliminate any question about power flow/ground, etc. You could pick up power at the starter battery cable connection, and run a ground to the battery ground strap. I do have a short cable (a 12 volt battery cable with eyelets on both ends) that I run from where my battery ground strap attaches to the frame, over to a bolt on the transmission to get a better ground. When I did this, I got a noticeable increase in cranking speed.
Art, wouldn't that mean power is connected to the module all of the time? Pertronix say you shouldn't leave the key on for more than 30 seconds without the motor running.
From your post, I think you have assumed I am 6 volt +ve earth. It is 12v, - ve earth.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:20 PM   #11
glenn in camino

Quote:
I gave up on my FS ignition and went back to the original distributor. My deluxe delivery now runs better than ever, and I can control the spark when climbing hills.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 12:48 PM   #12
bnchief

Mel passed away they are still in business and his partner is trying to catch up on things call them leave a message
bnchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:21 PM   #13
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnchief View Post
Mel passed away they are still in business and his partner is trying to catch up on things call them leave a message
I heard that just before I started this thread but wasn't going to post without confirmation. I also heard he had heart surgery and was on the mend so you cab see why I didn't post anything.
This thread started out as a fishing expedition but I have received some good input anyway.
I also took up a suggestion to contact Bubba from this forum but his phone is either disconnected or doesn't like Skype. I also sent him an email but so far, no response.
I'm running out of options here unless I leave the standard distributor in there.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:19 PM   #14
pooch

Bubba offers info freely on the V8 site.

He is always in there, and I get responses within a day from him.

Great Fella.

They won't bite you in there with a model A spark question.

(well I don't think they will....)
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:07 PM   #15
VFRhugh

FYI
http://m.legacy.com/obituaries/dodge...0&preview=True
VFRhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:10 PM   #16
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
Bubba offers info freely on the V8 site.

He is always in there, and I get responses within a day from him.

Great Fella.

They won't bite you in there with a model A spark question.

(well I don't think they will....)
Thanks Pooch, i'm on my way over there now!
Old 01-21-2017, 07:05 PM   #17
quickchange

I was shocked to hear of the passing of Mel, Great guy who I had the pleasure of meeting at the Chickasha swap meet couple of years ago along with Mr Kelly. I called Mel looking for what was available for ignition for our salt banger, No problem Derek there will be our latest unit on a plane free of charge, I was blown away , just as I am now, Rest in piece Mel ,Together we will get the record, Derek from a wet stormy NZ ,Where the hell is summer,
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFRhugh View Post
Really sad to hear about Mel, I was told he was in the hospital, but didn't know he passed. He was a good man.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:05 PM   #19
Art Newland

Quote:
Art, wouldn't that mean power is connected to the module all of the time? Pertronix say you shouldn't leave the key on for more than 30 seconds without the motor running.
From your post, I think you have assumed I am 6 volt +ve earth. It is 12v, - ve earth.
I did mention "switch" in there too. But really was suggesting this for testing purposes only. If it works OK connected this way, you could start looking at your car's wiring/grounding for an issue, If it still doesn't work correctly with it isolated from the rest of the car's wiring, then it must be a defective unit.
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:39 PM   #20
Synchro909

With the news of Mel's passing coming to light, I feel bad about sending messages to him which will now be seen by people who will no doubt be grieving. My deepest condolences to them and from me from here, what I hope will be a dignified silence on the matter.