Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-23-2023, 10:40 PM   #1
Tom in TN

Default Cranking probs on a 272

Vitals: 1955 Town Sedan. 69000 miles 272 engine has been overhauled.
6volt. Pos ground, Optima red top 6v battery.
Resting battery voltage= 6.3v
Engine running- charging voltage= 6.82v
Cables are tight- connections are good.

Symptoms: Motor is getting harder and harder to get to turn over fast enough to fire up. Turn key to start and it might roll over (at a crawl), or it might just light the Oil and Gen idiot lights up and nothing else happen.
This has been a progressive condition over the past few months and it will now just barely turn over (sometime)- EVEN WITH A 12V BOOST.
When it would start, it runs like a dream, so no issues there.

The starter has only been out of the car for the overhaul- never any trouble issues..but..does this smell like a starter problem?
Any questions or details I missed let me know.
Tom in TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 11:34 PM   #2
miker98038

Default Re: Cranking probs on a 272

I’d be inclined to look at the starter solenoid and the ignition switch. If the Gen light comes on, the run position should be good. It will go off when you move it to start. Low voltage to the solenoid, failing coil or mechanical hang ups in the solenoid, or bad contacts in the solenoid. A remote start switch from the battery to the starter solenoid contact will isolate the ign switch. Use caution doing that if the key is on in the run position.

Last year I went thru a low voltage problem. Any individual connection was ok, but when they all added up it didn’t work. Ended up cleaning everything before the problem was solved. And that was 12volts, 6 is less forgiving typically. But since a 12 jump doesn’t cure it, I’d bet on the solenoid. Easier to get to than the starter.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 08:47 AM   #3
Ford blue blood

Had a problem just like that. Turned out the starter stud was loose, not the cable to stud but the stud to the body of the starter. Tightened it and all was good!

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 09:10 AM   #4
KULTULZ

Post Re: Cranking probs on a 272

You need (IMO) to perform a VOLTAGE DROP TEST / STARTER DRAW TEST.

Description and method should be in your WSM.

You will wear yourself out with " it might be this and I once ..."

EDIT -

PM From Tom -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in TN

...not opposed to doing it, but What the heck is a WSM, where the 'how-to' is supposed to be hiding?
WSM - WORKSHOP MANUAL (1955 FORD). It will have the procedure(s) and needed specs.

A 6V SYSTEM can be a bear. I bought a 55 BIRD years ago and got rid of it just for that. A person with good sense would have converted it to 12V but this was back in the MUSCLE CAR DAYS and the BIRD just wasn't doing it for me. I then acquired a 64 FALCON SPRINT and started back on the way to STREET RESPECTABILITY.

- WARNING -

Quote:
Dielectric Grease Caution -

DO NOT use dielectric electrical grease to keep battery posts free of corrosion, as dielectric grease is an insulator and has a low melting point. When dielectric grease melts (caused by the heat generated as the current passes thru the posts) it changes into a liquid form and runs down between the battery post and the cable clamp. All will be well until you shut off the engine and everything cools down.

When you go back to restart your car the battery will appear to be dead. In reality the current from the battery is not being allowed to pass thru to the battery cables. To correct the problem remove and clean both the cable ends and the battery posts with emery paper or a battery terminal cleaner tool and reinstall. That should restore your battery connection.
SOURCE - https://www.fifthaveinternetgarage.c...s_batterys.php

We should have a contest. The player has to start at the very last post of a thread & then try to guess what the OP's original question was about ...

Last edited by KULTULZ; 09-24-2023 at 06:29 PM. Reason: THE USUAL - CRS
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 09:44 AM   #5
cos

Hello Could be as Kultulz mention above. If starter bushing wear it causes a drag which causes problems like you have. A 12 volt jump may not cure problem. 55 years ago I had a YB with Jahns 5/8 inch defector head pistons. Would not turn over fast enought to start. Put a 12 V battery with 6V starter solved problem.
cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 10:34 AM   #6
oldbugger

Check and clean your engine to frame and engine to body grounds!
oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 12:07 PM   #7
chiggerfarmer

I have not put anything on battery post connections except the old fiber wheel bearing grease that doesn't seem to be sold anymore. I had folks say not to do that but it worked for me back in the day. Haven't done it in a while. I have a Lincoln that uses a spade type connector on the starter that began losing connection, probably because of the harsh environment where it lives. I bought some NyoGel760G Dielectric Synthetic grease and it has fixed it so far. Been a year or so. Don't know anything about it except it is working for me. Battery cables are one of those things that just require some regular maintenance. Saving the cables from corrosion is the idea, of course.
chiggerfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 06:06 PM   #8
Lamar Wadsworth

WalMart sells some stuff in a non-aerosol spray bottle that will prevent corrosion on battery terminals. It comes with the felt washers that go around the battery posts under the cable ends.
Lamar Wadsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 06:36 PM   #9
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Cranking probs on a 272

Quote:
Originally Posted by cos View Post

If starter bushing wear it causes a drag which causes problems like you have. A 12 volt jump may not cure problem.
There you go, may be as simple as bushings and brushes but the complete system has to be correctly diagnosed (incl correct cable(s) sizing and grounds) -

https://www.ctci.org/battery-cables/

- as who knows what the car has been through since 1955.

- JUST SAY NO TO BRAIDED GROUND CABLES -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Wadsworth View Post

WalMart sells some stuff in a non-aerosol spray bottle that will prevent corrosion on battery terminals. It comes with the felt washers that go around the battery posts under the cable ends.
Exactly! PERMATEX.

THANX!

If it is found to be a defective starter motor, try to find an electrical shop nearby that can rebuild it. It you can't and have to buy a CHI-COM, save the old GEN as it will most likely be desired by a nuts-on restorer (case stampings).

REFERRING URL - https://forums.aaca.org/topic/329685...m-in-question/

We should have a contest. The player has to start at the very last post of a thread & then try to guess what the OP's original question was about ...

Last edited by KULTULZ; 09-24-2023 at 07:49 PM. Reason: THE USUAL - CRS
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 08:25 PM   #10
Tom in TN

Well, I put a new solenoid in it today and that did not change the symptoms.
NAPA has a 'remanufactured' starter available, so it would at least be rebuilt in the USA.
I think replacing the starter is my next step.
I will keep everyone posted.
Old 09-26-2023, 08:51 AM   #11
oldbugger

still sounds more like a ground problem then a starter problem, just my 2cents
oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 10:18 AM   #12
Tom in TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbugger View Post
still sounds more like a ground problem then a starter problem, just my 2cents
You're right, It does but I have checked and scuffed up all the grounds that i know of and still don't get anything.
Old 09-26-2023, 04:31 PM   #13
Daves55Sedan

Some years back, my '55 had hard starting problems due to the motor turning over too slow. I cleaned the commutator, put in new brushes and lubed the bronze bushings, put it back in and there was no difference.
Took it back out, laid it on the floor and hooked battery cables directly to it. It spun like a top, but just won't crank an engine.
Gave up and got a new starter. That was the cure. Never had a problem since.
I'd hate to have to price a new one now though.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote