Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-27-2012, 05:15 AM   #1
Richard in NC

Default How to fix pitted wheels ?

I would like to know the ways that ya'll fix pitted wheels other than replacement. My 19" wheels are bad enough shape that they ruin my inner tubes, about one every year on average. I have sanded the inside of the wheel where the tire and tube contacts but the area is pitted pretty deep on at least two of the wheels. I am using a rubber flap but it doesn't cover the really bad spot. This time I applied bondo and then sanded and painted. Will that work? I know better wheels is the real answer but funds are limited at this time unless I win the lotto. Thanks for any and all advice.
Richard in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:44 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: How to fix pitted wheels ?

'Bondo', --or better yet, any Kevlar-stranded type body filler will work well. Other products such as JB Weld, etc., etc. will work too but would be more costly. Wheels are most likely one of the most labor intensive parts on the whole car to restore.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #3
Kurt in NJ

Are you using a full flap, or just a rim strip --a full flap goes up the sides ---I would think if you looked as swap meets that wheels could be found for close to the price of a tube and flap ---what are you using on the tube to "lubricate" it --talc, cornstarch --or??-are you deflating the tire then re-inflating it after seating the bead to prevent stretched spots on the tube?---as Brent says filler could be used (he is also correct about the labor involved)---but if the pitting is so bad the strength of the rin could be compromised --I have seen some paper thin around the stem hole.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I had mine powder coated and the problem is gone and the rims are smooth!
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #5
theHIGHLANDER

Powder coat's not a bad way to go. If you're concerned about an exact color, you can powder it close, then paint it. Not all of the pits will go away, but you can surface them out in the powder before paint. A light scuff followed by an adhesion promoter will make the paint nearly "soak" into the powder and be very durable. Time consuming is an understatement regarding getting them to look nice without looking too "thick". There's a product called "Bulldog" that comes in aerosol or in qt cans for a spray gun. 2 coats about 10-15min apart, wait 5min before applying the color, it should be there for decades. We did some Packard wheels that way, and even the trim ring didn't scratch all of it off when we removed it to get it centered around the valve stem. It left a few marks (sharp stainless will do that!), but it didn't strip it all off where the teeth made contact. Just a thought...
theHIGHLANDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:23 AM   #6
jr-41ford

Another way I have done it, is sand blast the wheel, remove any burrs or sharp edges with 100 grit sand paper or grinding disk, and generously apply Por-15 inside the rim. Afterwards, I install my liners, tubes, and tires.
jr-41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:24 AM   #7
1931 flamingo

Clean the offending area, say with a scotch brite and appy regular silicone caulk and smooth it out over the offending area, let it set up, should be good to go.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
Jim Parker Toronto

Just a thought, why don't you try and cut down one of your bad tubes, and use it as a rim liner. Then you could make it as wide as you want, and perhaps glue it in place....
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #9
Billaz

This is just a suggestion on what i have done unless they are totally unusable. Buy a roll of a heavy duty duct tape. Line the wheel in several layers of the tape and install tube and tire. I have used this easy fix for years with no problems.
Billaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #10
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

1. Blast wheels
2. Straighten Spokes
3. Bondo all pits and outer edge
4. Sand, Bondo, Sand, Bondo, Sand Bondo!!
5. Primer
6. Sand
7 Re-Prime IF Needed
8. 400 wet sand
9 Paint
10. Good Luck and enjoy!!
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #11
ronn

As Billaz says-easy fix is duct tape....
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #12
Craig Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Clean the offending area, say with a scotch brite and appy regular silicone caulk and smooth it out over the offending area, let it set up, should be good to go.
Paul in CT
Silicone caulk will restart and actually accelerate the rusting action by four-fold or more.

I like the idea of grinding &/or sandblasting off the worst part followed with a heavy coat of POR-15.
It might even take sanding the next day and recoating with POR-15 ... but this will leave a silky smooth finish which is especially made to adhere over rust.
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #13
Richard in NC

Thanks everyone for the advise on my wheels. I tried duct tape and it helps but in some cases it rolls up and then is no good. I suspect there is no easy way that is permanant nor as good as a good set of wheels. I think plenty of elbow grease and body filler is the best thing for me to do while I look for better wheels. Thanks everyone.
Richard in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #14
Droobie

Richard I dont know how in depth you would like to go but I have seen the wheels blasted and the pits filled with two part epoxy (holds up better than bondo) and then sanded. I believe I have epoxy here if you choose to go this route also I am sure I could get some bondo from work. Race cars are full of it and we have a lot of it.
Droobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #15
Billaz

I have never had any issues with using a good quality heavy duty duct tape. Use the cheap stuff in any product and you may have problems.
Billaz is offline   Reply With Quote