Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-08-2024, 10:03 AM   #1
Swingle

Default Hagerty Roadside Asssitance

Got my renewal today for my Hagerty insurance and roadside assistance.

I always talked highly of their roadside assistance program, as the one I was in, covered all my modern and antique vehicles, along with my travel trailer. They would even pick up my full-sized AA Truck, and flatbed it for 150 miles.
Noticed that the premium for the roadside assistance went down, by a lot. Looked into it more and found out that they are now only covering the antique cars that you insure through them, no more modern vehicles.
Asked if the AA Truck was still covered, they assured me it would be.
I did ask, that since this only now covers my vintage vehicles, and since I won't be driving these said vehicles during the winter months and not needing coverage, can I drop the roadside assistance during these months? Of course, was told you could not do this.

Last edited by Swingle; 03-08-2024 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Updated AA Truck coverage
Swingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 11:37 AM   #2
ronn

Default Re: Hagerty Roadside Asssitance

as in all things too good to be true-

they eventually disappear
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 11:57 AM   #3
38bill

Lets see, lower premium for the collector vehicle and all my modern vehicles policies already have roadside assistance. Seems like a win win to me.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 12:11 PM   #4
P.S.

This is true, the Hagerty roadside no longer covers "modern" cars. However, after a recent problem where AAA would not cover a tow of my 1929 Model A Mail Truck, but Hagerty will, having 2 roadside plans is necessary. Kinda like how with streaming TV, you have to subscribe to MotorTrend TV, Prime, Paramount Plus, etc. to get the 3 or 4 shows you want to watch.

With Grand Tour about to conclude, won't need Prime anymore though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingle View Post

I always talked highly of their roadside assistance program, as the one I was in, covered all my modern and antique vehicles, along with my travel trailer. They would even pick up my full-sized AA Truck, and flatbed it for 150 miles.
Noticed that the premium for the roadside assistance went down, by a lot. Looked into it more and found out that they are now only covering the antique cars that you insure through them, no more modern vehicles.
I did ask, that since this only now covers my vintage vehicles, and since I won't be driving these said vehicles during the winter months and not needing coverage, can I drop the roadside assistance during these months? Of course, was told you could not do this.
Old 03-11-2024, 11:34 AM   #5
Robert/Texas

Many thanks, I'm sure glad that I read this thread.
I've had Hagerty insurance on my old Fords for decades and had my '37 flat-bedded about 4 miles to my workshop/garage about two weeks ago. I just called Hagerty and was told that only the cars covered on my policy with them are covered. I can't believe that I wasn't told that at renewal time. I just added towing to my modern car policy.
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 12:14 PM   #6
ronn

seems like everything is getting more and more expensive across the board.........

with that in mind- just bought a 55 inch tv for 188. delivered to my door.

how is that possible????????? lol
Old 03-11-2024, 12:58 PM   #7
Swingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert/Texas View Post
I can't believe that I wasn't told that at renewal time. I just added towing to my modern car policy.

You were told, just not directly.... I only noticed because the rate for Roadside Assistance dropped by $105. The renewal fee had an asterisk by it, and many years working in a print shop, just had to see what it referred to.

The next line down said "*Thanks to a more streamlined emergency roadside model focusing on classic and collector cars, we're able to offer exceptional quality to all cub members - at a much lower rate. A savings of $105/year."

That was my first hint that the modern vehicles were no longer covered.
When I called, I confirmed that yes, modern cars were no longer covered. I asked when did this change take place, and was told quite some time ago. Was told I could log onto their website, they have it posted there.

I then checked to make sure I still currently had coverage on my modern vehicles until the renewal. They are covered until April 15th. Was good while it lasted, and understand things change. Do not think they did enough to let everyone know.

I have used them over the years, my parents have also, will need to find another plan. My parents were camping with their Model A Tudor, pulling a small pop-up. Their car broke down, and both Model A and camper were hauled home, 115 miles. Who else will do that?
Old 03-11-2024, 04:25 PM   #8
ronn

I used to have AAA. got 4 100 mile tows a yr.
My truck broke down up in CT, hauling a trailer with a 1937 cord. They towed my trailer and my cord and it cost me 2 of my tows. I was quite happy with that.
Old 03-13-2024, 11:01 AM   #9
fried okra

Location: Daniel Island,SouthCarolina/Knoxville, Tennessee/Sanibel Island,Florida

Does anyone recall where, as in what model year, Hagerty sets the date when a car/truck becomes a "modern vehicle?
fried okra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 11:53 AM   #10
Swingle

Good question, I am sure they will insure anything, but you might have to pay extra for newer.

I was asking myself the same question, while reading through their Drive publication. They were reviewing 2023 sports cars. Those are only 1 year old, and not antique.
Old 03-13-2024, 04:08 PM   #11
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingle View Post

Yep, I found out the same thing after State Farm bought their way into the company. I had to go to my standard insurance carrier to get towing insurance for my daily drivers. It was a cheap enough add, just still ticks me off.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 11:44 PM   #12
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fried okra View Post
Does anyone recall where, as in what model year, Hagerty sets the date when a car/truck becomes a "modern vehicle?
From the Hagerty website, "If you own a vehicle model year 1980 or newer you may qualify for collector insurance."

Source: https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/cl...newer-vehicles

Trucks seem to be different, "Classic trucks and SUVs must meet the following requirements:
Should be 1998 and older, unless identified as collectible
Vehicles in good or better condition
Vehicles under restoration may be considered
Minimum value $3,500
We can consider limited towing and hauling
Extreme off-road modifications such as brush guards, roll bars, tool boxes and lift kits with large off-road tires will not be accepted"

Source: https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/cl...ility-vehicles
Old 03-14-2024, 10:26 AM   #13
fried okra

Location: Daniel Island,SouthCarolina/Knoxville, Tennessee/Sanibel Island,Florida

Thanks, Paul......good input.
fried okra is offline   Reply With Quote