Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-17-2023, 05:23 PM   #1
demingboy

Default 41 ford to 53 mwecury tranny

Hi there
I have a 1941 ford tudor sedan. Last year I changed out the engine to one I purchased out of a 53 mercury. Engine came with 3 speed overdrive bolted to it.
I ended up using my flywheel ,clutch pressure plate as they were new with the 8BA previous owner put in.

Thing runs great but I am trying to find out if it is really hard to convert to the overdrive or not.
It seems to me I read where it is just too much trouble to do.

I have priced a mitchell unit. Not only 6 months out but currently about 4k.
Really want to keep the torque tube and rear end if possible. I read where it can change to open driveshaft and I know it can be done but I really don,t want to go that route. Main reason is I am a part changer kind of mechanic lol.

Is it possible?
demingboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 06:42 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: 41 ford to 53 mwecury tranny

Since it runs great as it is, let it be.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 07:52 AM   #3
38 coupe

Default Re: 41 ford to 53 mwecury tranny

The overdrive transmission from 1953 is a totally different animal than the closed drive unit in your car. Different clutch mechanism, longer, open drive, and the overdrive solenoid is placed exactly where the big center part of your frame comes together. The closer transmission that still will not work is the 49-50 Mercury overdrive.
You have three reasonable options, two of which are expensive:
1 - Re-gear the rear axle. You can swap the current ring and pinion set for a higher speed set, either 3.54 or 3.25. These will trade off easy low speed driving for easy higher speed driving. Depending on how many hills you have and on the torque output of the motor you may or may not like the results.
2 - Mitchell overdrive. As you have found these are expensive with a long lead time. They also frequently hit the floor in the rear seat area and require cutting and welding, or at lead "massaging" with a big hammer.
3 - Columbia overdrive rear axle. More expensive than a Mitchell. These were aftermarket overdrives made when the cars were new. They bolt in. They require controls that are reproduced but also not cheap. If you can stand the price and are willing to work on restoring things I think this is the best option.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote