Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-25-2022, 01:03 PM   #1
mustang1215

Default 1936 tires

I have the original wheels on me !936 and wondering what would be the best tire for driving. I dont want to put a radial as they are very wide And I am afraid it will be hard to turn the wheel. any experience ? Ed.
mustang1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:28 PM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: 1936 tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang1215 View Post
I have the original wheels on me !936 and wondering what would be the best tire for driving. I dont want to put a radial as they are very wide And I am afraid it will be hard to turn the wheel. any experience ? Ed.

Ed ....Not all RADIAL tires are alike! These Stahl Excelsior radials come in a multitude of antique car sizes, and were designed to appear more-narrow like our original size tires were. These tires will not disappoint you as far as drive quality (both SLOW & at SPEED), and as seen by the picture enclosed of a 6.00R 16 Stahl mounted on an early wheel, they LOOK the "look"! We have run these on 4" wide 1940 Ford wheels, tubeless, on a '36 Ford 3-window coupe.

They don't give these things away, for sure, but worth every penny in our experience. These Stahl Excelsiors are available via several sources, but if you purchase yours thru Jeg's or Summit Racing, they often have promotions on these tires offering FREE shipping! Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:55 PM   #3
tubman

I have a 1951 Ford. I know it has 15" tires, not 16's like your '36, but it's close enough. If you are going to drive your car (not just show it), I'd say that radials are a much better choice. When I first did my '51, I put re-pop Firestone bias-ply 6.70/15 tires on it. I always felt that I was always close to the handling limits on those tires. When they finally aged out, I installed a set of Coker Classic radials. Being somewhat of a "Hot Rodder", I put 185/75R15's on the front and 225/75R15's on the back. The front tires almost exactly the size of the 6.70.15's. The improvement in ride and handling was impressive. Previously, any cloverleaf on the highway system raised my level of trepidation to a high degree; these days, I just cruise around them.

A lot of folks don't like Coker tires, but mine have been excellent. The fronts didn't require any weights to balance then while the rears took less than 2 ounces each. They've been on there about ten years with absolutely no problems. I'll probably be replacing them soon because of their age, but they still look and drive fine.

DD's right; there are a lot of places to get them and they come in all sizes. I will agree, they are a bit spendy, but you get what you pay for.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:23 PM   #4
TJ

Once you install radials you will not go back to bias ply tires. You will actually steer easier.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 12:21 AM   #5
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Once you install radials you will not go back to bias ply tires. You will actually steer easier.
....and I would agree 100%.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 09:35 AM   #6
19Fordy

Here's some additional tire pressure input:
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...essure.667479/
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote