Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-18-2017, 07:23 PM   #1
Woodie1

Default Oil Consumption

What are the thoughts on oil consumption? This engine was rebuilt 627 miles ago. Bored out, new pistons , rings, bearing, etc. I'm using 30W Valvoline & have driven mostly 30-35 mph for the first 500 miles. I run it at 45 mph now as it seems happy there. I did an oil change at a little over 500 miles. I checked the oil after 110 miles & had to add a quart of oil. The car never has been a speed demon. It might run 52 mph but not much more so I'm guessing the rings have not seated yet. What do you think?
Woodie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:37 PM   #2
WHN

Default Re: Oil Consumption

We have a 29 that has not been rebuilt. Using 20-50 HD oil and we change ever 250 miles or once a year. Never driven on highway and we keep it under 45 mph. We never have to add oil, dip stick might be down a quarter inch at oil change.

Ford, I believe said, one quart per 500 miles was to be expected. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:53 PM   #3
iverson

My dad that worked for a Ford dealer as a mechanic in the 30's thought a quart every 300 was good!
iverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:55 PM   #4
Simonpie

I have a motor with 2500 miles on it and have never noticed it burn a drop. Are you sure you checked the oil after running it a bit at first? The dipper trays fill up and hold about a quart. Even if you did the traditional 1 quart down the distributor hole and 4 in the bottom, you could still have a slight drop after the first run that just indicates the dippers filled up.
Also, if it was just the first run, don't sweat it. Break in does happen and it may seal up, but at 625 miles it should be about broken in.
Not leaking out?
Simonpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:02 PM   #5
Mad Mac

The motor in my 29 RPU has done over 27,000 miles and does not use any oil at all. Was re-bored and re-sleeved in 1992 and I change the oil every 500 miles, using 20-50 oil.
Mad Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:19 PM   #6
Woodie1

I have had some leakage on the manifold side of the oil pan. I've tightened the bolts on that side twice. When I change oil I put in 4 1/2 quarts. That brought it up to the full mark.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:33 AM   #7
V4F

I change oil twice a year . spring / fall . daily driver . no adding oil , but very little oil leaks . also 25/50 oil works well for me .
Old 11-19-2017, 10:10 AM   #8
katy

You gotta work it a bit to get the rings to seat, full throttle acceleration from about 15mph up to about 35mph 6 or 8 times should do it.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:51 AM   #9
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodie1 View Post
I have had some leakage on the manifold side of the oil pan. I've tightened the bolts on that side twice. When I change oil I put in 4 1/2 quarts. That brought it up to the full mark.
Before you pull the oil pan try this ...

Check the bolts on the front timing cover and side timing cover.

Be sure that there are no split lockwashers under any of the bolts.

Do not forget the hidden bolt in the cavity under the generator.

Oil will leak out through the split in the lockwasher and run down the pan rail making it appear that the oil pan or front crank oil "rope seal" is leaking.

I removed the lockwashers and put a little Permatex Ultra Black on bolt head surface where it contacts the cover.

Last edited by Benson; 12-05-2017 at 07:26 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:02 AM   #10
glenn in camino

On a rebuilt engine startup, I always rev it a few times to seat the rings before I retighten the head nuts. Then go out and drive it around my neighborhood. After the drive I go back and check the head nut torque one more time.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 03:01 PM   #11
barkleydave

If you putts around, drive 200 miles or less a year at under 40 miles your rebuilt motor will not settle in.

Talk to the touring folks and most will tell you most run 2000 miles per year on tours running 40-45 average driving 100 miles + per day on a tour. This year my truck ran2000 miles on the tours I burned NO oil and lost less than a pint through rear main etc. I do have an oil filter and change oil around 1,500 miles and it is clean as a whistle.

Engines that sit most the time have issues sooner or later.. I run mine even in the off season when roads are dry and salt free. Drive at least 25-30 miles once a month when practical. I have other antique cars that sit way too much and those are the ones I end up doing more work on... leaking oil seals, etc etc etc. DRIVE EM GUYS!
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 03:32 PM   #12
Simonpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodie1 View Post
It doesn't take much of a leak to show up on the dipstick. I'd chase the pan leak before worrying about ring seal.
Simonpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:24 PM   #13
Woodie1

Thanks for all the input guys.