Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-04-2021, 12:51 PM   #21
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron
Default Re: Car Wax

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
Jim,
I also need to apply some kind of wax to the nickel plated headlights, radiator shell and some other nickel plated item to protect them. Is this good for that job?
Thanks

Rusty
Simichrome will protect the finish also
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 11:30 PM   #22
Tom Wesenberg

I used an oily rag to wipe down the bright plated parts each fall. That kept them looking nice.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-05-2021, 09:23 AM   #23
Harpkatt

I've always kept my cars motorcyles boats ...Lawnmowers etc well waxed, I've certainly been known to over do it. That said, I've used basically every product under the sun. Heres what I think of some the well known examples

Nu-finish is inexpensive, easy to apply and remove, and looks great, but is known to leave white powdery dust on corners and felt/rubber edge trim. Good for a long time too.

Turtle wax is my least favorite product to apply and remove. It takes for ever and clumps up when removing it. Definitely a deep shine you'd expect with carnauba wax, doesnt last very long considering the effort. For a model A' with all the nooks and crannys I'll pass.

Meguiars cleaner wax is very good, But it doesn't wow me in application,removal or shine. It does work though and is fairly priced.

I started using Meguiars Blue hybrid ceramic wax on my A for a few reasons. You basically spray it on the car then hit it with the 'jet' pressure setting to spread it out. you can dry it or do whatever you like. The paint on my car is failing so I try not to work the surface too hard. It really lasts a very long time, I've used it on my DD car and its good for about 2.5 months in rain and sun and what ever you throw at it. It has no trouble being applied near the hinges(that most might not wax), or louvers or head light bar and doesn't leave a spec of wax dust. It's a product I thought was too good to be true when I first used it but it really is very good. Modern Tech I guess. The down fall is if you over apply it can look streaky,but this is easily corrected. It also doesn't seem to add much extra lustre past what the paint looks like. It's like an invisible layer that repells water and dust though. Can be layered over other Waxes/coatings etc. Which is how I've started using it. It gets into the nooks and crannys very very well.

Always read the instructions.
Harpkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 10:33 AM   #24
Tinbasher

Mothers, California Gold Paste wax. Twice a year and your good to go.

JP
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 11:05 AM   #25
Dougs 28

Have you ever tried using a clay bar? Meguires has a kit for about $20 with everything you need in it. I start with the clay bar then follow it up with Meguires Carnuba Paste-not liquid. It comes out like glass. My wife does this same process with her own car then follows it up with Meguires Ceramacoat spray-the one in the green bottle. It puts a nice finish on it and hides any minor little imperfections. Good luck
Dougs 28 is offline   Reply With Quote