Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-20-2019, 10:34 AM   #1
deeprock

Default Rubber mat for a 37' 60hp

Is the floor mat for the 60 Hp different than the 85 Hp? I ordered the one Dennis Carpenter sells and the hole for the shifter is off by about 3-4 inch's. If that's the case where would I locate the correct one? Thanks for any help you can provide.

-shad
deeprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:48 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: Rubber mat for a 37' 60hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeprock View Post
Is the floor mat for the 60 Hp different than the 85 Hp? I ordered the one Dennis Carpenter sells and the hole for the shifter is off by about 3-4 inch's. If that's the case where would I locate the correct one? Thanks for any help you can provide.

-shad
You won't find a mat for your 60HP, '37 Ford.
I wonder if a mat from a '40 (NO floor shift) might be the way to go. You could cut the hole for your floor shift where necessary.
I am fairly certain the three pedals are in the same place.
Of course you may have to trim the outer edges. That's easy enough to accomplish.
And, does a '37 have a dimmer switch on the floor? The '40 does and the mat has a hole for it.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:36 PM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
And, does a '37 have a dimmer switch on the floor? The '40 does and the mat has a hole for it.
Believe 38 is the first year for a floor dimmer.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:17 PM   #4
35fordtn

whether this stock photo is correct or not who knows... BUT... Macs shows a black 1940 mat without a dimmer switch hole. If that is the case it would be a perfect candidate to do as Mike has instructed. The steering column hole will be larger due to 40's having a column shift but larger in a way that wouldn;t be noticeable.

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_m...er-440215.html
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:23 PM   #5
1937sedandelivery

I ordered a front mat for my 37 from Joe's Antiques and it was a perfect fit, best I can remember. It resides in my 37 Fordor and looks great. No cutting required. Mine is a 85HP motor, but not sure it is any different than a 60HP version.
gregg
1937sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:29 AM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1937sedandelivery View Post
I ordered a front mat for my 37 from Joe's Antiques and it was a perfect fit, best I can remember. It resides in my 37 Fordor and looks great. No cutting required. Mine is a 85HP motor, but not sure it is any different than a 60HP version.
gregg
They are different. See post #2. Floor gear shift is in a different location.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:54 PM   #7
deeprock

Thanks for the help, I contacted Dennis Carpenter about seeing if the supplier would make the mat without the shifter cut out. I'm guessing the Wall would be built before this happens, So I will try the one for 1940 and see how that works.

-shad
Old 02-21-2019, 03:15 PM   #8
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeprock View Post
Thanks for the help, I contacted Dennis Carpenter about seeing if the supplier would make the mat without the shifter cut out. I'm guessing the Wall would be built before this happens, So I will try the one for 1940 and see how that works.

-shad
In their (Carpenter's) defense, to not stamp that hole out is more time consuming than you might realize. The stamping die would have to have that punch removed for one mat. Then of course, the punch would have to be reinstalled. Not certain what a tool maker earns in that area, but I would think you're looking at a minimum of $400 to do this work. Then factor in the time it takes to install that die for one hit and well, it just is not worth it.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:30 PM   #9
rockfla

Quote:
In their (Carpenter's) defense, to not stamp that hole out is more time consuming than you might realize. The stamping die would have to have that punch removed for one mat. Then of course, the punch would have to be reinstalled. Not certain what a tool maker earns in that area, but I would think you're looking at a minimum of $400 to do this work. Then factor in the time it takes to install that die for one hit and well, it just is not worth it.
Kube
Much simpler task are a "big" ask as well, I would like to have some "smooth" 35 bumpers (without the two rabbited lines) NO dice on pulling two of them out "before" they are rabbited and passed on to the plating stage!!!! Seems like a simple task to pull two before the machine and re-insert them back "after". Seems, anyway!!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 03:35 PM   #10
35fordtn

Quote:
Mike,
Ironically carpenter has their mats made here in TN not far from me.

They have them made in batches with order minimums. So they cannot simply call their supplier to run one may without a hole... mike also nailed it as the supplier likely would not stop a full run to adjust for one piece...
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:01 PM   #11
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35fordtn View Post
Mike,
Ironically carpenter has their mats made here in TN not far from me.

They have them made in batches with order minimums. So they cannot simply call their supplier to run one may without a hole... mike also nailed it as the supplier likely would not stop a full run to adjust for one piece...
Hey Mike, I knew it was in your area but wasn't certain where exactly. Regardless, I'm certain it would be cost prohibitive to temporarily (modify) the die.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:03 PM   #12
pete rose

The center floor pan in a 37 is the same for either a 60 or an 85.
I recently converted a 60hp car to a 59A with an 85hp transmission and did not have to modify the floor pan. Carpets or rubber mats are the same for both.
Pete
pete rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:06 AM   #13
deeprock

This is what I ended up doing, The 40 mat petal cut outs were off, so I used the mat for a 37, took a 2 1/8 exhaust adapter and sharped the end up and cut a plug out where the new hole should be and super glued it in from the back. Doesn't look awful considering the options I had.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0.jpg (37.6 KB, 44 views)
Old 03-06-2019, 12:07 PM   #14
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Not bad!