Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-09-2020, 05:17 PM   #1
rfitzpatrick

Default Andy Hardy Movies

When I watch the 30's era movies, I never see anyone start their A's with involving the spark/hand throttle. Were the cars used in the movies modified so's not to do this?

Just wondering
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 05:25 PM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: Andy Hardy Movies

Who is Andy Hardy?
As for what you see in a movie, they are hollywood fantasy, pure and simple with little or no relationship to the real world, just as most of those who have worked in the entertainment media are out of touch with it. In short, it's all fake. Maybe you are expecting more reality than they are able to show.
You might gather that I am rather cynical about the "entertainment" industry and those who have worked in it. They make a ridiculously large living out of playing make believe, something I stopped doing about the time I finished primary school.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:01 PM   #3
rfitzpatrick

You might gather that I am rather cynical about the "entertainment" industry and those who have worked in it. They make a ridiculously large living out of playing make believe, something I stopped doing about the time I finished primary school.[/QUOTE]

Actually I don't know what I "gather" about your thoughts on the "entertainment" industry -- I was just lookin' for some information/thoughts.
Thanks
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:30 PM   #4
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfitzpatrick View Post
You might gather that I am rather cynical about the "entertainment" industry and those who have worked in it. They make a ridiculously large living out of playing make believe, something I stopped doing about the time I finished primary school.

Actually I don't know what I "gather" about your thoughts on the "entertainment" industry -- I was just lookin' for some information/thoughts.
Thanks[/QUOTE]

I fully agree... they are for the most part fake people. Overpaid phonies. Mostly pedophile coke heads.

BUT I like the movies from the '30's and 40's the best, they are my favorites over all. TCM is fun to watch. Turner Classic Movies.

In response to your first post, you are 100% correct I've noticed this myself over and over. I was watching a late 1930's Spencer Tracy flick a couple weeks ago. It's name slips my mind. Anyway he was working at a gas station and hopped into his 1930 Standard Roadster and said something to his buddy, hit the key and starter and the way he went. NO use of the Spark control.

They probably bent a lot of Bendix's back in those days. And by even 1936 or so a Model A Ford was really being abused people were pretty hard on them. Roadsters. They REALLY got beat.......... Fugetaboutit

Last edited by Jeff/Illinois; 10-09-2020 at 07:31 PM.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:08 PM   #5
Tom Foster

Philosophy and technology niceties aside, to the original question:
Andy Hardy was the title character in a series of lighthearted movies beginning back then. He was played by Mickey Rooney; his dad was a judge, and he had a Model A roadster that could legitimately be called a jalopy. I don't know if he ever was shown using the hand crank or the choke but the car was notoriously unreliable.
You do know what a jalopy is, don't you ;-)?
Tom Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:08 PM   #6
McMimmcs

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
One of my cars was in a television series and movie for over a year and although it seemed to be always moving the total mileage increase was 2/10 of a mile. Welcome to the real world.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:21 PM   #7
Bob from Northport

I think if the original question was answered with a bit more politeness, the asker might have been a bit more pleased. I enjoy seeing all the old cars. I don't care about rude personal opinions. Don't jump in if you're just going to step on someone.
Old 10-10-2020, 06:51 AM   #8
KGBnut

I think if you watched some old silent movies you might see some spark adjustments or choke. I know that you would see hand cranking, but mostly for comic effect. By the '30s and '40s automatic spark advance and automatic choke were available and these actors may not have driven the old style in a long time. Any modern period-piece would certainly get it wrong, unless the actor had a personal interest in antiques.

Lastly, filmakers are interested in telling a story, not in getting technical details correct on a car...or anything else for that matter.

I remember watching The Waltons with my father. At some point they got a Model A and painted it white. It always made Pop crazy that they drove it everywhere with the spark fully retarded.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:14 AM   #9
62pan

I just watched a movie the other day called Haunted House from the 30's and the young man asked the girl to adjust the spark so he could hand crank it. I think you also have to remember that Ford introduced the B dist. in 32 that was centrifical advance an easy modification so actors only had to push the button and go.
62pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:52 AM   #10
1930artdeco

Don't forget a few retakes so they may have left the spark and throttle in correct position from a prior run.

Mike
Old 10-11-2020, 10:09 AM   #11
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfitzpatrick View Post
When I watch the 30's era movies, I never see anyone start their A's with involving the spark/hand throttle. Were the cars used in the movies modified so's not to do this?

Just wondering
Didn't Andy's car have V-8 wheels on it and also a non-stock hood?
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:35 AM   #12
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
Didn't Andy's car have V-8 wheels on it and also a non-stock hood?
The wheels were 'fake' solids...a snap-on cap of sorts. And yup, the hood was not stock "A-bone"! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 01:35 PM   #13
Chris Haynes

Looks like a Chevrolet hood.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 06:24 PM   #14
Bob-A

Unhappy Re: Andy Hardy Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
Looks like a Chevrolet hood.

The 1932 Chevy used a 4-door hood similar to the one on Andy's "A". I know either Rootlieb or Brookville sheet metal shops offered reproduction accessory 3-door hoods for Model-A's in the not to distant past. I've got a pic of a restored Model-A deluxe roadster with Chevy chrome 4-door hood sides on it and man does it look good! Unfortunately, my PC filing system is real bad and I have no idea where it is....

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:39 AM   #15
shew01

I had never watched an Andy Hardy movie prior to reading this thread, but we watched one over the weekend, and everyone enjoyed it.

Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:26 AM   #16
77Birdman

I love all of the Andy Hardy movies. He also had an A roadster that had stripes painted all over it. I always thought it would be cool to have one made just like it! There was an episode when he purchased it, something like $30 that he had to borrow from his father. To the OP's question, I have no idea......But I would surmise there is a def. difference in a movie made in the 30's and a period remake from the 70's (the waltons). The people in the 30's knew the steps to start a car of the time, the 70's-not so much-
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:36 PM   #17
Tacoma Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
The wheels were 'fake' solids...a snap-on cap of sorts. And yup, the hood was not stock "A-bone"! DD

Interesting auxiliary dash panel on the left side of the wheel.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote