Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-05-2015, 11:03 PM   #1
Sid

Default 55 Ford floor

I figured I better check facts out before I get ahead of myself here. I have a 55 Ford 2 dr. Victoria that needs floor work on left front and right rear. I do know there are patch panels available but I was thinking it would be nice to find a good floor and replace the whole floor. It also needs a little toe board repair next to the gas pedal. My question is a floor pan the same on a 2 door and a four door? Do 55 and 56 Ford and Mercury share the same floor pan? Also is the floor pan and the trunk floor one piece or are the spot welded somewhere under the rear seat that I am missing under all the crud...
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:24 PM   #2
mikhett

Default Re: 55 Ford floor

I have a 56 Vicky.Where are you gonna find a solid floor for a 60 year old car?I got my floor patches from Surplus Supply and EMS,MIKE
mikhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 02:46 PM   #3
gregk1

I cut all the floorboards and lower rocker panels out a 55 4 door doner car welded them in my brothers 56 4 door wagon it's a lot of work just getting the panels out and cleaned up and ready to install but worked great
hear is the finished product
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0913.jpg (76.4 KB, 15 views)
gregk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 03:26 PM   #4
Ole Don

I spent days welding in panels on the floor of a brother in laws 55 two door. The whole floor would have been weeks.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 12:27 AM   #5
Daves55Sedan

I doubt you could find a whole floor in a junk car that is worth salvaging unless maybe it has been sitting somewhere in the dry southwest.
Several resto suppliers offer patch panels. Watch out, many of them are thin guage metal, not properly formed as original. Do not buy without seeing photos of the panels. Foot riser panels are also available.
The prep work; cutting the old panel, chopping the spot welds from the floor support braces, grinding, etc is very slow painstaking work. Be very careful not to cut thru floor braces when cutting out floor panels. Fitting the new panels into place is no easy task. You don't get the feeling that there's light at the end of the tunnel until you have the new panel cut and bent as necessary and screwed down with sheet metal screws and are ready to start burning it in with your mig welder.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:59 AM   #6
Sid

I see in the pictures that it appears the EMS floor patches have a flange on one panel at the drive shaft tunnel on one panel. What is the quality of the EMS product. I have two panels that need replacing and a third that should be replaced and a small area of the toe board near the gas pedal. I am just thinking it would be a cleaner job doing the whole floor to the front edge of the rear seat with a good floor from a Donner.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:36 PM   #7
parklane

EMS is one of the better ones.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:39 AM   #8
Sid

Is there a aftermarket choice better than EMS? What is the quality of Surplus Supply? If I go new pieces who is the best?

Last edited by Sid; 09-09-2015 at 11:10 AM.