Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
BrianTanner

Default Rear end differential

Hey guys,
Just bought a stock 31 tudor sedan to use as an everyday driver, but im not sure what to do to make her highway worthy. I have seen the mitchell overdrive, but not really wanting to spend the money. I have also heard about just changing the rear end diff. (Probably what im wanting to do) to get a lower rpm on the highway. Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Also, I have been looking at the webber 2 barrel carb, vs a 2 port intake that I can bolt up two zenniths onto. Thoughts again are welcome.
Thanks,
Brian
BrianTanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
columbiA

Default Re: Rear end differential

If you live in an area with very few hills,you could install 3-27 gears.If in hilly country,3-54 gears would be a good choice.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
V4F

the weber + header + 3:54 will work well . electronic self advance dist will also make it ez to drive daily ................
Old 09-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
Purdy Swoft

The first modification should be a higher compressioin head. I wanted a period correct look. I was lucky enough to find a cast iron dual updraft Trojan intake manifold. I run a pair of B Zenith carbs. I believe that the two mods that will make the most noticable performance increase is a higher compression head and a lightened flywheel. I could notice the boost that I got with a Flame trhrower coil and a gutted muffler.

Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
BrianTanner

Thanks for the input guys. Where are you finding these parts at? All I seem to be able to find are original parts...no performance stuff.
Thanks,
Brian
Old 09-09-2013, 11:22 PM   #6
larrys40

in my opinion.. after installing a number of Mitchell overdrives and running an old ryan myself.. would be to install the Mitchell with a Snyder HC head. It will give you your best overall performance and keeping it stock... it makes highway cruising a breeze... and gives you the option of the overdrive gearing as 3 more forward speeds if desired. All that said.. the rest of your car, front end/brakes/steering, rear axle has to be top notch and restored and up to snuff. I installed a touring AER engine and Mitchell along with restoring the rest of the chassis this spring for a customer and it is an awesome driving car. Of course I run a Columbia in my '40 convert.. so I am kind of spoiled to having the overdrive available for use when I want it. I'm not for all the other speed mods... as they can tend to cause more issues than they solve.

Good luck!
Larry Shepard
St. Charles, MO
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:36 PM   #7
Tom Endy

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrys40 View Post
in my opinion.. after installing a number of Mitchell overdrives and running an old ryan myself.. would be to install the Mitchell with a Snyder HC head. It will give you your best overall performance and keeping it stock... it makes highway cruising a breeze... and gives you the option of the overdrive gearing as 3 more forward speeds if desired. All that said.. the rest of your car, front end/brakes/steering, rear axle has to be top notch and restored and up to snuff. I installed a touring AER engine and Mitchell along with restoring the rest of the chassis this spring for a customer and it is an awesome driving car. Of course I run a Columbia in my '40 convert.. so I am kind of spoiled to having the overdrive available for use when I want it. I'm not for all the other speed mods... as they can tend to cause more issues than they solve.

Good luck!
Larry Shepard
St. Charles, MO

I fully agree with your suggestion. I think it is the best combination for highway driving. I would also add a six volt positive ground alternator to keep the battery fully charged and to prevent overcharging it. A Mitchell is a 26% overdrive and with a 378 ring & pinion it can easily tackle most driving situations. Second gear overdrive can easily overcome any grade you cannot climb in high gear. I have a 23% Ryan in my Vic along with a 5.5 Snyder head. The rest is as Henry delivered it, except for the alternator. I drive it all over the place, including long distant tours.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:56 PM   #8
larrys40

Tom,
I forgot that one... I've been a die hard generator guy for all these years but ran a alternator on the Blue Ridge tour... and it did well. It was a pinch hit right before I left as my generator was giving me grief. Had one in the shop so I used it, and stil have it on.

Hey, by the way... I'm doing a seminar on tools, homeaid, KRW, and tools currently available through the suppliers at the MARC membership meet next spring. I'd like to pick your brain on stuff you've built/used. I'm a KRW junkie but have a number of small home built stuff as well.
I'll drop you a PM and maybe we can hook up.
Thx.
larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:45 AM   #9
BrianTanner

Thanks for the input guys but qn overdirve is out of my price range. Anyone know where to buy the differential gearing?
Thanks,
Brian
Old 09-10-2013, 12:51 AM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTanner View Post
Thanks for the input guys but qn overdirve is out of my price range. Anyone know where to buy the differential gearing?
Thanks,
Brian
Two of our club members bought the 3.27 gears from Bert's in Denver. 800-321-1931
That's what I would go with.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote