Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-12-2011, 08:59 PM   #21
CWPASADENA

Thumbs up Re: Generator Misaligned

I think you are getting there.

It appears that the fan pulley is too far forward. There may be other issues but this needs to first be corrected.

Actually, it is good that you are addressing this problem. I have seen situations like this where the owner is not concerned at all but eventually finds he is wearing out belts or bearings in the generator or other stuff. Pullies need to be in alignment for everything to work correctly.

Press on and keep us posted as to what you find.

Chris
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #22
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Generator Misaligned

Both holes on the black generator appear to be wallowed out. I'd look for a better mount bracket and front end plate.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:23 PM   #23
MCHinson

I just got some time to look closer at your photos and at my spare generator. I can't tell much about the brackets from your photos. Can you try comparing the two generators side by side with a dowel rod or something similar passing through the bracket holes? I think that you will find that the alignment of the holes in the brackets to be different. I suspect that is your problem or at least part of the problem.

The rusty generator looked correct or close to correct in your earlier photo of it on the car. If you find the brackets to be different, it would be relatively easy to clean up the rusty brackets, paint them, and install them on the working generator.

Last edited by MCHinson; 06-13-2011 at 05:10 PM. Reason: updated information
MCHinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:42 PM   #24
Jim Parker Toronto

The fellow that does our leakless pumps here on Toronto had issues with the aluminum fans a year or so ago. It would not seat properly on the shaft with the key in place. He even went as far as getting the correct broach to fix the problem as the suppliers said there was no problems! I don't know if he has had to fix any lately, but there was a bad batch of fans at one time. I know that this does not help you, but it might give you some insight to the way other people have dealt with similar problems. When there is only one manufacturer, its easier to fix minor problems than to deal for days or weeks with someone who says there is no problem. The season is too short to allow for these delays, so get'erdone!
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:25 PM   #25
Cape Codder

Default Re: Latest Update - Generator Misaligned

I have removed the water pump and fan blade from the car, removed the fan blade and pulley, removed the key, and reinstalled the fan blade and pulley. There is NO difference as to how far back I can get it without the key. I had perhaps half a thread on the nut sticking out when I installed the cotter pin and still have that. Hopefully I can find a machinist that can measure the bevels on both parts and then have it machined. Lastly, is there anything I should check on this fan blade and pulley as far as balance and how would I do that if needed.
Again thanks to ALL that have chimed in with their suggestions. Sure appreciate it.
Joe Grobleski
Cape Codder
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #26
Cape Codder

Forgot to ask one more question and it is to the people that have the one piece alumium fans. Do you put a washer under the nut when installing one or not?
Thanks for your time.
Joe Grobleski
Cape Codder
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #27
Jim Parker Toronto

Our leakless waterpump guru machines a flat washer with every fan going out the door. Everything is fitted on a shaft with a key, double checked, even for cotter pin alignment, then 3 days later you get a phone call to make sure everything went fine. George Mueller is very good at this type of work. He is a great asset to our hobby, and we are lucky to have him nearby.
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:46 AM   #28
Mike

I had this problem once, the impeller was not pinned and the shaft moved forward. I rebuilt the water pump everything was fine.
mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:36 AM   #29
Ray in La Mesa

Can't tell by the photos but if you are running a B distributer and timing cover, some of the 33-34 timing covers have the generator mounting boss moved back about 1/2". Think I saw this on Vince's sight.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote