Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-02-2023, 07:01 PM   #1
AnthonyG

Default More back surgery!

Here's my latest surgery story, that’s taking me out of the game for a while! I’ve been home since Monday after back Surgery last Thurs! No better remedy than being home ����! So far so good, setting up @Home Pt! All things considered I’m doing pretty good! Everything’s working @ least as good as before surgery so PT should make it improved to better than it was!
In the spinal area of surgery L2-L1- T12 a lot can go wrong easily as it controls a lot! Upper & lower leg strength which is my big issue & a lot more internal organ stuff! So all still working, albeit not @ peak it in it self is a miracle! Much could’ve gone wrong w cutting, drilling & screwing going on during surgery ����!
I’ve noticed a small improvement every day & am thanking God every day!
Thx for thoughts & prayers!
Best
AnthonyG

Best
T

Last edited by AnthonyG; 11-02-2023 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Correct
AnthonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 07:47 PM   #2
Zeke3

Default Re: More back surgery!

Thoughts and prayers for your recovery. Be sure to keep up with your PT homework.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 07:52 PM   #3
flathead48

Wishing you a very quick recovery.
flathead48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 08:24 PM   #4
Craig CT

Hello Anthony; From my experience, do no more or no less than what you're told and you'll get the best results, which I suspect you already know. Sounds like you're off to a great start. God bless, Craig.
Old 11-02-2023, 08:43 PM   #5
ford38v8

Tony, Your positive attitude and contract with yourself will prove more valuable than the help of friends cheering you on...
But it's more fun to have both! Get well soon!
Old 11-02-2023, 08:52 PM   #6
Lanny

Hi Anthony, I too want to wish you success in home pt helping you to
help yourself get stronger in your back, as that is a very complicated
part of the body/bone structure.
I have had occasional back slipped disc trouble, and it can be very
painful to just try to get around and do normal things we all take for
granted, so I really do wish you the best in your recovery.

Old 11-02-2023, 09:15 PM   #7
Bored&Stroked

Best of luck Tony - you have a great attitude and a desire to do the right things to get better - so you will! Just get through the PT and don't short cut it.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 09:19 PM   #8
Steve in Denver

been there, done that twice. Took me a year to get back to somewhat of normal. Biggest thing the DR said was, "I fixed you twice, there won't be a third time. Don't screw it up".

I used to do handy man work. No more. I don't pick up anything more than 30 pounds. No more moving refrigerators or pushing old cars, which is the worst part.

"Dont screw it up"!!
Old 11-02-2023, 09:59 PM   #9
47topless

Back surgeries are terrible to go through. But, they do heal in time and, in my experience, worth the effort. Life, as we age, becomes a series of adjustments, on our parts, in order to participate in it all. Those of us blessed with good health and a focused mind, are able to positively strive to maintain, or at least greatly slow down, the function decline. The rest of us need to work a little harder. Maybe lower the bar a bit. Simple. Just do what you can do the best you can do. If you can't do it anymore, hire someone to do it for you. You can still supervise.
Good luck with the recovery.
Phil
47topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 12:16 AM   #10
GB SISSON

Anthony, A lot of sound advice from some good and caring folks on the'barn. I want to ad my encouragement in your recovery as well. And don't screw this one up!.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 04:28 AM   #11
Ggmac

Praying for your recovery. Ive hsd 5 different back surgeries in the dark ages (1985). They have come along way . Stay well and take it slow .
Gary
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 06:54 AM   #12
mfirth

Anthony, keeping you in prayer for sure. Had rods, cage and screws installed in 2015. Besides prayer, doing EXACTLY what the doc said, and NOT RUSHING things, I'm doing pretty good 8 years later. Wishing you the very best!!
mike
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 08:21 AM   #13
AnthonyG

Hi all, thx for all the encouraging words, thoughts & prayers. While I agree totally w all the good words, especially ‘don’t screw it up’, my condition ( early disc disease) has plagued me since I was doing stupid stuff like being a ‘running back’ on high schoolFB team! My 1st surgery was when 16 wheeled off field on a back board. Very primitive times, no fusion surgery existed yet! They just scraped the disc out & let scar tissue fill it in actually held up pretty good even continuing non contact athletics til I was 35 in 1985. All destabilized & they fused L3-4-5 & removed bone on a very ugly looking lower spine. They told me due to my condition whether doing nothing or being active the pressure would continue up my spine to upper discs & it has, from the misshaped spine from no fusion originally! All Dr.’s agreed activity was best. It’s progressed up the spine & neck between both this is surgery # 6 surgery, averaging every 15 yrs, although this is only about 5yrs from last neck fusion! I absolutely will follow doc’s orders & take it very easy for the year long recovery indicated. I know I’ll be back in the game! All otherwise bio functions r healthy as a horse w Docs predicting well into my 90’s (73 now). With that much time left I gotta stay active or go nuts, LOL. Thx again & best to all!
Tony

Last edited by AnthonyG; 11-03-2023 at 08:32 AM.
AnthonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 08:40 AM   #14
reagen

Prayers
reagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 01:34 PM   #15
blucar

Been there done that... Back trouble started in 1956 when I was in a truck accident in the US Army which put me in the hospital for three weeks. Being a normal male I sucked it up and got on with life. In November 1975 things blew apart in my back, the result being a triple fusion in the lumbar area. My doctor told me no more water sking, horses, motor cycles and trucks. He agreed that I could drive an El Camino because I had to have a truck for work.. He gave me a prescription for an El Camino, so I was able to write it off on my taxes
I followed my doctors instruction to the letter, all in all things were pretty good, with help of 1000 mg,s of coated TYLENOL per day. Then in 2011 my world fell apart. Stenosis of the spine progressed within the vertebrae of my spine resulting in a complete overhaul of L 1 through L 5. Recovery lasted for almost six months, there again, I did everything the doctors told me to do. I turned 89 last July, still work a full day doing what I want to do. Several of my kids want me to slow down, get rid of my toys, I don't think so,

I have come to the conclusion that the road of life is full of pot holes, from time to time you fall into a pot hole, but then you climb out, dust yourself off and get on with life.
Keep your mind and body active and let the cards fall where they fall.
Old 11-03-2023, 02:55 PM   #16
tom1948

I feel for you Tony, unfortunately, my spine problems are inoperable(due to 7 head and neck cancer surgeries). So; on December 7th I go up to the VA to have pain procedure number15. So, I'll keep you in my prayers and as many others said: do as the dr. says. good luck!
tom1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 05:38 PM   #17
BobR35

I wish you the quickest recovery and the best of health following! Keep pushing to improve yourself and the will to do so. At our age it's what keeps us going!
BobR35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 07:58 AM   #18
AnthonyG

Thx again all for the great advice & all ur thoughts & prayers! I have no doubt I’ll fight back & get in the game again !
Best to u all
T