Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-27-2023, 05:11 PM   #1
Patrick brophy

Default 1957 Thunderbird Horn wire

I am struggling with the horn wiring on my 57 baby bird. I have the wire harness that connects the two horns and runs to the horn relay. I installed the steering wheel and replaced the horn wire located within the steering shaft out thru the steering box.
The The electrical manual is not very helpful in this regard, and gives no indication of where the wire from the steering shaft is terminated. This wire is an off color dirty brown, cloth covered.
The horn relay is located on the other side of the car , next to the voltage regulator.
This wire that protrudes out of the steering box is approximately 22 inches long, which is long enough to reach the wiring junction block, but I have no idea what it is to be wired to, or where.
Any help would be appreciated.
Patrick brophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 06:27 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: 1957 Thunderbird Horn wire

The relays were generally located close to the battery so it could have a short run to it and the horns. They were marked B for battery, H for horn. and S for switch in most cases. The S terminal should have a wire that will connect it to the horn button grounding wire. There may be a terminal block connection but I don't have a schematic. This link should work.
http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/t...re5765-195.jpg

It shows a yellow with green tracer wire between the horn button and the relay. Maybe a 57 T-Bird owner can help further with more detail.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 09:58 PM   #3
dmsfrr

The horn relay on a '55/'56 Bird is below the voltage regulator on the left front inner fender.
On a '57 the horn relay and voltage regulator were located on the right front inner fender, slightly behind the headlight.

On the dusty project '57 Bird I have...
There is a small-ish bundle of the wiring harness that runs forward from the large grommet in the top left corner of the firewall to the 8 hole junction block on the inner fender just behind the left front headlight.
About halfway to the junction block there are 3 wires that come out of the bundle: two green ones with 90 degree terminals for the brake light switch and a Yellow/green with an inline connector to attach to the horn wire coming out of the steering box.
That Yellow/green wire goes back into the bundle that's across the top of the firewall then forward along the top of the right inner fender until it gets to the horn relay. It is terminated into a 3 wire triangular shaped connector that plugs directly on to the horn relay.

Apologies for the wires in the second photo being spray painted black. It was the decades old work of a previous owner who repainted everything under the hood with black, even the valve covers.

If it matters, this '57 is one of the 'late' ones, built during production for the '58 model year in Nov. of '57 so there may be some slight differences to earlier '57 Birds built during the more normal part of the model year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg copy, horn relay wiring.jpg (33.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 57 horn relay, other colors.jpg (58.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20200709_153137 valve covers.jpg (51.0 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 06-28-2023 at 04:49 AM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 11:20 PM   #4
Dominic Hide

The horn wire connects to the main harness at a yellow pigtail located close to where the two green wires exit the harness going to the stoplight switch. (between battery and brake booster)
Dominic Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 03:36 PM   #5
Patrick brophy

OK ,great I found the wire.
Ford had done it's best to hide it under the battery tray.

It is kind of confusing as the wire colors change.

The wires between the two horns are green with yellow, and from the horns to the relay, they are green with yellow.
Yet from the horn relay to the connector from the steering wheel wire ,that wire is blue with yellow, as is the wire from the horn ring. Go figure.

Thanks for the help, I do appreciate it.
Patrick brophy is offline   Reply With Quote