Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-11-2022, 09:13 AM   #1
Patrick brophy

Default Interior paint

There is a recent post regarding paint chip #s for interior paint.

My question is similar. I am painting my 1957 Thunderbird. I chose a different white then the Colonial White that is the factory color. I wanted something brighter.

Now that I have done that,I need to address the door and kick panels on the interior.
I painted the dash ,jambs etc the same as the exterior white.

I am unsure of how to proceed with the door and kick panels. I can buy white from a tbird vendor, however they sell the white to match the Colonial White.

I am going to have to do something to the ones I have now. I am open to any suggestions.

Surely someone has done something with a custom build.
Patrick brophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 10:51 AM   #2
55blacktie

Default Re: Interior paint

If you are asking about dying your door and kick panels, and you are looking for a non-original color, you'll have to look for what the aftermarket offers, keeping in mind that the color of the cap might not exactly match the contents.

I would begin by thoroughly cleaning your panels; that will brighten them up considerably, especially if there were smokers in your car over the years
55blacktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 06:13 PM   #3
Daves55Sedan

You can go to an auto upholstery shop and select any color vinyl you want from dozens of samples. They also sell sheets of masonite material to replace your crumbling original panels, although I wouldn't trust them to punch the holes. I would buy the amount of material needed and take them home, cut them out myself with a jigsaw and punch all holes with a punch set using the original panels as a pattern.
For the upholstery, some shops do a good job of matching the original pattern based upon the old material.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 07:52 AM   #4
Patrick brophy

I never considered recovering the panels with vinyl. That might be a better alternative to paint. My panels are in really good shape. I might have to get my supervisor involved with the upholstery work, otherwise it will not be correct.��
Patrick brophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 09:42 AM   #5
rotorwrench

Tempered masonite is a bit heavy and hard to work with. Waterproofed panel board is not ideally perfect but does last very well if the car is garaged and can be sewn through easily. There are several qualities of this stuff and prices comensurate with quality in most cases. Another modern alternative would be fiberglass panels made with scrim cloth or a single layer of thick cloth. My sewing machine will punch through that. I hate hand sewing anything if I can avoid it. A person would have to have things perfectly aligned to use a sewing machine on masonite. A person would break a lot of needles trying to punch through that stuff.

I would say that a different shade of white would require replacement of materials. A person can't really die to a lighter color. It would have to be painted with a vinyl spray color and that stuff can be problematic for long term use. Especially in high use areas.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote