Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-04-2021, 09:38 PM   #1
Patrick brophy

Default Fuel Pump Vacuum use

On my 1957 Thunderbird ,I am eliminating the vacuum windshield wipers and going with the electric type. I feel this does away with just another problem area, as my past use of these things from my youth was not a positive experience to say the least.
Now that I have explained that, do I still need to run the two steel lines that attach to the fuel pump ?
I know the one goes to the intake manifold, and the second would go to the wiper motor.
Now that I now longer need the line to the wiper motor ,would I ,or should I say ,could I just not run the two steel lines, and plug the two fittings coming out of the fuel pump ?
Patrick brophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 09:49 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: Fuel Pump Vacuum use

The booster on the fuel pump is mostly to help out the wiper motor but the vacuum line from the engine also operates the original hot water control valve for the heater.
You can leave out the two small steel lines and connect the rubber vacuum line that goes thru the firewall directly to the brass vacuum fitting at the left rear of the intake manifold... if you need the heater / defroster controls to work.

Or... leave the two steel lines connected and change the Tee fitting under the dash to a straight connector, just for the heater control.
You'll need to plug the unused side of the Tee fitting or change the Tee to a straight connector in either case (or run a new / longer piece of hose) if you're still using the intake manifold mounted hot water control valve. (photo 4)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 57 manif vac fitting.jpg (66.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg wiper vac hoses c.jpg (79.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg heater parts c.jpg (103.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg '57 engine, heater valve, vacuum line.jpg (69.6 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 02-04-2021 at 11:50 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 03:40 AM   #3
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Fuel Pump Vacuum use

or ...

Use a vacuum canister to allow for low intake manifold vacuum periods. You have to have a constant vacuum source/signal to have vacuum accessories work at all times correctly.

- MULTI-VEHICLE SYNTHETIC TRANSMISSION FLUID -

Multi-vehicle transmission fluids are becoming more and more popular in the marketplace. Oil marketers design these fluids for a wide range of automatic transmission types. While they are not licensed by any specific auto manufacturer ... ??? ... enough said ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 08:08 AM   #4
Patrick brophy

It appears that I will be buying a hot water control valve.I had no idea there was such a thing. Where is this valve mounted?
The canister you mentioned, where would this be mounted?
Other than the hot water valve,I cannot think of any vacuum run accessories I would run.
Old 02-05-2021, 09:42 AM   #5
KULTULZ

Post Re: Fuel Pump Vacuum use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick brophy View Post

It appears that I will be buying a hot water control valve.I had no idea there was such a thing. Where is this valve mounted?
The actual valve (18495 on ILL) is mounted on the front of the intake, manifold on the water cross-over runner. The photo above shows it just in front of the carb.

Quote:
The canister you mentioned, where would this be mounted?

Other than the hot water valve,I cannot think of any vacuum run accessories I would run.

The canister can be mounted almost anywhere. You can place it out of sight if desired.

Read This - https://www.classictbird.com/Manual-...tinfo/18495MK/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HTR - 1957 BIRD.jpg (69.4 KB, 15 views)

Multi-vehicle transmission fluids are becoming more and more popular in the marketplace. Oil marketers design these fluids for a wide range of automatic transmission types. While they are not licensed by any specific auto manufacturer ... ??? ... enough said ...

Old 02-05-2021, 01:41 PM   #6
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick brophy View Post
. . .
The oem style heater valve is mounted on the intake manifold in front of the carburetor. photo 1
The off-shore made replacement heater water control valves are crazy pricey and fail fairly quickly. photo 2

You can use a plain elbow instead, available from some T-Bird suppliers. photos 3 and 4

Except for Power Brakes, there aren't any other manifold vacuum operated accessories in a '57 T-Bird.

After-market kits are available that eliminate the troublesome vacuum operated water valve. Example at this link...
https://www.classictbird.com/Manual-...tinfo/18495MK/

https://www.classictbird.com/Elbow-M...ctinfo/18599M/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 57 engine, heater valve.jpg (70.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg heater valve.jpg (78.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg engine front, heater elbow.jpg (79.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 2 heater hose elbows.jpg (51.3 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 02-05-2021 at 01:48 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 03:29 PM   #7
KULTULZ

Question Re: Fuel Pump Vacuum use

... must be an echo in my browser ...

Old 02-05-2021, 03:36 PM   #8
KULTULZ

Question Re: Fuel Pump Vacuum use

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post

Except for Power Brakes, there aren't any other manifold vacuum operated accessories in a '57 T-Bird.
Quote:

POST #2

The booster on the fuel pump is mostly to help out the wiper motor but the vacuum line from the engine also operates the original hot water control valve for the heater.
There went that browser again. Now I am rally confused ...

Old 02-05-2021, 03:47 PM   #9
Patrick brophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
The actual valve (18495 on ILL) is mounted on the front of the intake, manifold on the water cross-over runner. The photo above shows it just in front of the carb.

The canister can be mounted almost anywhere. You can place it out of sight if desired.

Read This - https://www.classictbird.com/Manual-...tinfo/18495MK/
Thanks KULTULZ,
I was aware of that valve, but since I have not yet gotten to that stage of the rebuild i was not aware that it operated by vacuum.
I received this car in many pieces, and I am putting a puzzle together piece by piece.
My box of parts had the elbow in it, so I had put that in the intake manifold when I painted it. I think I will go with the manual valve that your illustration shows. That looks much more fail safe.
Old 02-05-2021, 03:57 PM   #10
Patrick brophy

Quote:
The oem style heater valve is mounted on the intake manifold in front of the carburetor. photo 1
The off-shore made replacement heater water control valves are crazy pricey and fail fairly quickly. photo 2

You can use a plain elbow instead, available from some T-Bird suppliers. photos 3 and 4

After-market kits are available that eliminate the troublesome vacuum operated water valve. Example at this link...
https://www.classictbird.com/Manual-...tinfo/18495MK/

https://www.classictbird.com/Elbow-M...ctinfo/18599M/
Your statement "eliminate the troublesome vacuum operated water valve" says it all.

I had my share,hell I had more then my share of clunkers when I was a "YOUTH".
I can remember the times when it was raining and snowing and those darn vacuum wipers never worked right.I cannot remember having a car with vacuum wipers that ever worked correctly.Used to have to let off on the throttle in order for the wiper to work at all, and then when you stepped on the gas they would stop again. Good times.
Now I just want to flip a switch...........and presto.