Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-02-2024, 08:57 AM   #1
shew01

Default Klein Tools

I’m looking for a reasonably inexpensive multimeter to carry in my Model A. What do you think of this model, which was recently reviewed in Poplar Mechanics magazine? Is there something on the market that gives a better bang for the buck?

Here is an Amazon.com link for the Klein MM450.

https://a.co/d/jdh3A8y

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 09:07 AM   #2
MrBruce

Default Re: Klein Tools

Shew01
Tom Endy did an article on a good multimeter, it was a "HONEYTEK" you might look up his article's on their website. It was Model A6013L and I think it was reasonable as far as I remember and the article I think was checking condensers on the Model A.
MrBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 09:30 AM   #3
LeonardS

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
I’m looking for a reasonably inexpensive multimeter to carry in my Model A. What do you think of this model, which was recently reviewed in Poplar Mechanics magazine? Is there something on the market that gives a better bang for the buck?

Here is an Amazon.com link for the Klein MM450.

https://a.co/d/jdh3A8y

Nothing comes up but a bunch of advertisements.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 09:46 AM   #4
Kurt in NJ

Digital meters can get upset with the ignition system on a running model A engine.
When I tried my snap on vantage on my running model T it locked up and started crying, had to take out the battery to stop it.
When checking the model A charging system the wires had to be extended to have the meter inside the car.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 09:55 AM   #5
JayJay

Klein is a very well respected manufacturer of tools for electricians, and this multimeter certainly seems to have the capabilities that would apply to work on Model As. I’ve found that it’s often handy, if not essential, to have leads with alligator clips on them so you don’t have to juggle two leads and the meter while squeezing into awkward spaces. Clip leads are readily available separately, for example Klein 69410.

Having said that, almost any multimeter will do you fine. Harbor Fright had an el-cheapo that they used to give away free with any other purchase, I carry one of those in each car.

The most important thing is knowing how to properly use the meter and interpret the results. Like, don’t put your probes across a voltage when the meter is set to resistance…

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan

Last edited by JayJay; 03-02-2024 at 10:02 AM.
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 09:57 AM   #6
nkaminar

Multimeters are available at hardware stores from $10 up. They have all the functions you will need to trouble shoot your car. You need volts (DC and seldom AC) and ohms. The amps is seldom used. The temperature function is seldom used. Frequency is never used. The only other thing that is sometimes handy is the setting to measure capacitance, used to check your condensor. Auto ranging is sometimes handy but at other times gets in the way so make sure you can disable auto ranging.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 03-03-2024 at 07:57 AM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 10:00 AM   #7
katy

I'd suggest an analogue meter to carry in your Model A.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...SAAEgIvH_D_BwE
Old 03-02-2024, 10:01 AM   #8
mhsprecher

Confirming the problems with digital multimeters. Buy an analog if you can find one. I have an old Radio Shack model that I use.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 10:06 AM   #9
Big hammer

I just carry a test light in my A, I feel if needed I just want to see if I have voltage here there, I ‘am not concerned if the battery is at 6.4 volts or 6.2
Old 03-02-2024, 10:14 AM   #10
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
Nothing comes up but a bunch of advertisements.

shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 10:20 AM   #11
alexiskai

For a few dollars more you could get a Kaiweets HT208D, which has more features, such as indirect DC amperage, and higher current tolerance.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 10:36 AM   #12
johnneilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
For a few dollars more you could get a Kaiweets HT208D, which has more features, such as indirect DC amperage, and higher current tolerance.
If used correctly the DC indirect amperage can be nice, but reminds me of a job some years ago. A major distribution center, I had just installed an auto scanning manifesting system. It used a PLC and several sensors DC so there was a ton of 24vdc wiring in the system. One of the "Techs" called me and informed me the protection circuit breakers were passing 20 amps thru a 5 amp breaker. I had to see this, design was 50% loading so 2-3 would have been acceptable. Upon arrival he showed me his induction amp meter was showing 20 amps when testing a single breaker. I used a direct reading meter across the breaker and then turning off the breaker it was 2 amps.
The reality was that the indirect would show 17 amps when tested a foot outside the cabinet without and lead thru the current loop.

Technology is great if applied correctly, those inexpensive meters are not acceptable for precise work. They are great for the Model A especially if you pack it in the car.

J
Old 03-02-2024, 11:27 AM   #13
Bob Bidonde

I use a very inexpensive multimeter from Harbor Freight.
Old 03-02-2024, 12:40 PM   #14
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnneilson View Post
If used correctly the DC indirect amperage can be nice, but reminds me of a job some years ago. A major distribution center, I had just installed an auto scanning manifesting system. It used a PLC and several sensors DC so there was a ton of 24vdc wiring in the system. One of the "Techs" called me and informed me the protection circuit breakers were passing 20 amps thru a 5 amp breaker. I had to see this, design was 50% loading so 2-3 would have been acceptable. Upon arrival he showed me his induction amp meter was showing 20 amps when testing a single breaker. I used a direct reading meter across the breaker and then turning off the breaker it was 2 amps.
The reality was that the indirect would show 17 amps when tested a foot outside the cabinet without and lead thru the current loop.

Technology is great if applied correctly, those inexpensive meters are not acceptable for precise work. They are great for the Model A especially if you pack it in the car.

J

The trick is holding the clamp stationary. If you can get it into position, zero it, and then turn the load on without moving it, the reading is accurate in my experience. If you’re just snapping it over a wire and taking a reading, yeah, you could get anything. I used the HT208D to read the starter amperage on my coupe and got 155A, which is about what you should expect.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 01:52 PM   #15
Gene F

What Kurt said. I have an echeapo one with the needle that I got at Harbour Freight under the seat in my car.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 03:05 PM   #16
JayJay

Hearing a shout out for Harbor Freight el-cheapo! Sign of the times, but the one they used to give away free is now $6.99.

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
Old 03-02-2024, 03:31 PM   #17
Gene F

Mine is that small one. It's maybe 4 inches tall. Space for storage counts... I have a for real meter at home (a Simpson 260), and other than verifing the battery, and it working I don't think I have ever used it.
Old 03-02-2024, 05:18 PM   #18
Synchro909

IMO, the electrics of a Model A are so simple, nothing more than a piece of wire (a probe is better) and a light globe is all you need.
Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com.au/Haobase-El...9417865&sr=8-7
Old 03-02-2024, 08:59 PM   #19
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
Mine is that small one. It's maybe 4 inches tall. Space for storage counts... I have a for real meter at home (a Simpson 260), and other than verifing the battery, and it working I don't think I have ever used it.
Sompson 260 is the holy grail of old school multimeters. I had two and somehow lost them during a move.

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
Old 03-02-2024, 09:04 PM   #20
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Sompson 260 is the holy grail of old school multimeters. I had two and somehow lost them during a move.
They are like $500 now. Yes, I cherish mine. It's just like new too. I still put it back in a baggie after I use it. I used to make my living as a repair technician, so it was a valuable tool for me. I have an ampprobe that is digital, and does a lot of the same functions, but darn I like that sweeping analog needle. Way easier to check a run capacitor for basic function with that needle.