Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-20-2015, 07:05 PM   #1
Bassman/NZ

Default Holley vs Stromberg.

I've had a lot of trouble getting my C59A to run well. I rebuilt the Holley 94, completely dismantled and every orifice blown out, flatted the gasket surfaces, new gasket kit right through (even under the nozzles), leather plunger, new float, new 50 main jets, new power valve etc. Went out to a mate's place who is a flathead guru to get an expert opinion. He took a listen and said my carb is the problem. He said I'm wasting my time with a Holley, so he went into his stash and brought out a Stromberg 48.
We bolted that on, and I took it for a test drive. Man! It was night and day! Suddenly it sounds like it's running on all 8 cylinders, and huge increase in power.
Bottom line..... he wont sell it to me, but I've got it on loan until I can find a Stromberg of my own, so I'm on the hunt. He recommended a new 97, but they're about $700 here in New Zealand, so I'm gonna be keeping my eyes open.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:52 PM   #2
scooder

Default Re: Holley vs Stromberg.

Wasting your time with a Holley ?!?! If that carb made that much difference, the Holley is in poor shape.
I can't tell you what's wrong with it as its not on my bench, but something is wrong. A good 94 is a real good carb, a bad 94 is worse than a bad Stromberg, both in good condition will work as well as one another, the Holley gets a bit better mpg, and can maintain the correct fuel curve. The Stromberg feels more responsive, but can't maintain as precise a fuel curve. A lot of guys like the Stromberg family, others like the Holley family. It's mostly down to opinions and what they've played with the most. Fact of the matter being the Holley is a more advance design.
Its your money, your choice.
$700!! Is that US or NZ? Is it an exchange rate thing? Would it be cheaper to get a new one shipped from the UK where it's made? Is it import tax killing it?
You have pm regarding shipping from UK.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:09 PM   #3
Charlie ny
BANNED

Bassman,
Convince your mate to let you keep his 48 for as long as it takes you to send me your 94, I will do my best to make him a believer. You cover the shipping costs totally plus $10 US, the rest is on me .
Charlie ny
[email protected]
716 662 9159
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:13 PM   #4
scooder

Bassman, that up there is an offer that you simply can't refuse!
Charlie knows his biscuits.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:24 PM   #5
Brian

Marty, Charlie built a me a carb, a beautiful thing!! Money well spent; do it!
Old 11-20-2015, 10:57 PM   #6
Bassman/NZ

OK guys, you're right. I have emailed Charlie, and will send the 94 to him.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:34 PM   #7
KiWinUS

Mate I will bring it back with me in 3 weeks and send it to Charlie if you want. You would have to ship it to ChCh to my dads
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:39 AM   #8
Bassman/NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiWinUS View Post
Mate I will bring it back with me in 3 weeks and send it to Charlie if you want. You would have to ship it to ChCh to my dads
Thanks Tony, but it's no trouble to post it over there. I'm in the business of despatching stuff.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:31 AM   #9
koates

Hi Bassman, There has been much trouble with the quality of new power valves which are in many modern kits. Info on these has been posted on the barn before which you could check out. Charlie will know all about these valves which is more than likely your problem on the 94. Those 48 strombergs are really good and were fitted to 1934 & 35 Fords when new. The 48 has a slightly larger venturi than a 97. The 48 is 1 1/32" dia venturi and the 97 is just under the inch at .97" which is where its name came from. The power valves in the Stromberg 48 & 97 are a different type to the 94 Holley and don't have the same problems. Good luck, Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:27 AM   #10
funrunr

Please keep us informed on the difference once you get it back from Charlie. I know it will be good since I've never heard one negative reply about Charlie in all my years on here.
Charlie, that is very honorable of you to offer such a good deed. Great site, Great People!

Oops, I spelt dead instead of deed. Still very good of you Charlie!

Last edited by funrunr; 11-21-2015 at 05:25 PM.
funrunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 04:06 PM   #11
Bassman/NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by funrunr View Post
Please keep us informed on the difference once you get it back from Charlie. I know it will be good since I've never heard one negative reply about Charlie in all my years on here.
Charlie, that is very honorable of you to offer such a good dead. Great site, Great People!
I sure will!
Old 11-21-2015, 07:14 PM   #12
Brian

Marty, Just be very careful to flush all gasoline fumes from the carb before sending it. I sent a [different make] carb to the States to be overhauled and it went missing! Turned up in the USA, after much angst, months later; turned out NZ Post decided it was some sorta terrorist explosive device and held it in Quarantine for those months.

[Wonder what would've happened if it 'went off' and destroyed their quarantine facility?!!]

In that interim period, I'd had NZ Post trying to track it without success. Seems within that organisation, the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing!!

Good luck, Charlie will return your carb better than new- first hand experience talking here. Brian