Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-30-2017, 06:53 AM   #21
Rwalker

Default Re: Slightly O.T. - Looking for info on best car trailer winch to purchase

Are you able to set a code on the remote control on a warn winch like a garage door opener or do they come already set? If one remote works all it would be bad loading your car next to someone with the same winch.
Rwalker
Rwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:35 AM   #22
trulyvintage

Thumbs up Re: Slightly O.T. - Looking for info on best car trailer winch to purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angledrive View Post
John, I put a Harbor Freight 12,000 lb unit ($400.00) on my trailer and have had zero problems. Need to make sure cable winds back in with some tension. I am happy with it.
Tom
Bingo ....

(12) years in the business - I use this winch every day ...

Line speed is perfect - wireless remote control is well worth it.

Get the one year extended warranty - but you probably won't need it.

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:25 AM   #23
tubman

Default Re: Slightly O.T. - Looking for info on best car trailer winch to purchase

Does anybody have any idea how much "pull" it takes to get the average car onto a trailer? Before I had my winch, three 200 lb guys could push my 2200 LB race car up easily. I figure with one guy loafing and 6 shoes slipping on the dirt, it's less than 500 LBs, probably a lot less. For the average hobbyist, 12,000 LBs is probably overkill. Oh well, as Carl Kohler used to say : "If some is good, more is better, and too much is just enough!".
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:28 AM   #24
blucar

Tow vehicles, winches and trailers all fit into the same category, To quote "tubman".. "If some is good, more is better, and to much is just enough".. Think Fords V8 60.. Ya it was a V8, however, it was also the biggest joke Ford ever tried to push onto the consumers of America.
My tow vehicle is a Ford F250 4x4 Diesel Super Duty, I have two trailers, a 20' 10k enclosed and a 20' 8,500 lb flat. Both trailers have 10k/9k winches.
Many years ago I started out with a 1/2 tow vehicle and a 14' trailer w/ surge brakes on one axle, no winch. The first time I tried to load a vehicle onto the trailer. it took four of us with the aid of a tractor pushing, Pushing a vehicle (39 Chevy) up a 18" incline in the dirt. No fun!! I then bought two come-along cable winches. My next load was a '39 convertible, no engine or front end. Loading went better, two guys and two come-along cable winches, one of which broke just as we were about loaded.
It was obvious that I had to rethink my needs and adjust the equipment I was trying to use. I bought a 20' 8,500# trailer with electric brakes on both axles. I researched winches, opting for a 9k electric from Harbor Freight. I then got rid of the Chevy C10, bought the Ford Super Duty in 2002. I bought the 20' enclosed trailer in 2003, added the 10k winch within three months.
It has been my experience that tow vehicles and the trailers they pull, rise, or fail to the occasions that they encounter. I am constantly being asked to haul something for someone, I've learned the hard way not to loan my outfit (s) to anyone. My standard answer is usually, go spend $75 K for an outfit of your own..
Old 02-05-2017, 10:28 AM   #25
JM 35 Sedan

Thanks again for everyone's response on this. I really appreciate getting your input. I finally bit the bullet last week and bought a winch. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow, Monday, so maybe I'll be trying it out soon. It's a Warn VR12000. I wound up buying it on ebay "buy it now" at $100 to $200 less than anyone else's advertised price. Just thought I would followup on this incase anyone was curious.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg WRN-26502.jpeg (16.0 KB, 24 views)

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:33 AM   #26
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
As far as I know we're still golden. You might get the Phaeton because it's probably more reliable. Of course I just jinxed it!
Oh my Jeff! That's quite an offer. The fordor will suffice for me. I'm used to the unreliable, builds character.

John, my apologies for hijacking your thread.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:48 AM   #27
A bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Thanks again for everyone's response on this. I really appreciate getting your input. I finally bit the bullet last week and bought a winch. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow, Monday, so maybe I'll be trying it out soon. It's a Warn VR12000..
No disappointments there, use it in good health.

I used to run wreckers. ( roll backs were not in vogue then ) The winch for recovery, was beautiful when needed.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:16 PM   #28
sidevalve8ba

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
I am constantly being asked to haul something for someone, I've learned the hard way not to loan my outfit (s) to anyone. My standard answer is usually, go spend $75 K for an outfit of your own..
This quote reminds me of one of the best bumper stickers I ever saw. It was on the back of someones late-model pickup truck and it said "Yes, this is my truck and no, I will not help you move."
Old 02-05-2017, 12:55 PM   #29
1931 flamingo

Saw that bumper sticker just yesterday ! ! ! !

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:46 AM   #30
VeryTangled

I was just wondering... Any progress on the winch project? Photos?

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:07 AM   #31
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
I was just wondering... Any progress on the winch project? Photos?
Jeff, not much progress to report here. As you know I'm a slow worker with constant interruptions. I do have all the mounting design worked out, and most of the steel pieces fabricated. Just need to bolt everything in place and give it a try loading some large sections of trees to haul to a lumber mill. I may take some pictures and post them here later.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 07-07-2018, 05:43 PM   #32
deuce_roadster

I second the wireless remote use, love mine. Another thing I did when I built my open car trailer was that I welded a trailer hitch receiver behind the trailer jack, made a mount for the winch with the trailer square tube that fits the receiver. That way, you can take the winch off and put it in your shop out of the weather and not temping thieves when not in use. A trailer hitch pin keeps the winch secured when in use.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:28 AM   #33
Don Rogers

John, Here is my setup in my new Pace 20' trailer. I used a 3500 lb winch with remote control. I also installer a voltage inverter with a deep cycle marine battery. I have a 120v outlet inside the trailer also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winch.jpg (27.8 KB, 22 views)
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:46 AM   #34
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rogers View Post
John, Here is my setup in my new Pace 20' trailer. I used a 3500 lb winch with remote control. I also installer a voltage inverter with a deep cycle marine battery. I have a 120v outlet inside the trailer also.

Nice job Don!!