Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-02-2021, 09:18 AM   #141
bigd1101

Default Re: New baby 1953 Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
As to lining up the plug to the bottom. The transmission has to be in neutral, so block the rear wheels and pull the emergency brake handle all the way out, to lock the rear brakes, if you are using a ramp for the front wheels.Take the plate off the bottom access hole (picture # 3). I used a fathead pry bar and put it up the bottom hole, on the outer fins of the torque converter, and using the side of the hole to brace the bar, rotated the housing until the hole was at the bottom.

I would guess maybe a quart will remain in the converter.
Hw does that access plate come off?
bigd1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:38 AM   #142
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd1101 View Post
Hw does that access plate come off?
Put a flat head screw driver under the lip and it will pop off
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 10:48 PM   #143
KULTULZ

Post Re: New baby 1953 Merc

It looks to me that they sent you a kit for a C6.

It seems they have recently merged with another company and usually quality/service suffers. When you need to advertise on EvilBay, that alone is a warning. Same as AMAZON, a lot of counterfeit MOTORCRAFT there.

The correct kit is B-33. What was the PN on the kit they sent?

https://atpautomotive.com/filter-kit-22976
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TRANS - AT - FILTER _4 - Sent.jpg (42.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg TRANS - AT - FILTER _5 - Sent C6.JPG (22.0 KB, 5 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 06:17 AM   #144
KULTULZ

Quote:

Not sure if I used the wrong stuff here. If so, I guess I'll have to drain it out. Let me know. I was sure until I read the bottom part of the bottle. I was looking at the "do not use after" model years. Then I see it says not to use where Type F is recommended. Do I need to drain this out and start over again? If so, what freaking brand DO I use??

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...All%20Products
No, supposedly it is formulated as DEXRON III and MERCON replacement. That is what you want for a soft shift.

Don't worry about 2005 TECH on or TYPE F trans. TYPE F ran from 1968 to 1980.

I would be concerned about the quality and purpose of TRACTOR SUPPLY oils as they are generally meant for tractor/equipment and hydraulics usage. I have reservations about house brands as you have no knowledge of where it came from.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 07-03-2021, 08:27 AM   #145
bigd1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
No, supposedly it is formulated as DEXRON III and MERCON replacement. That is what you want for a soft shift.

Don't worry about 2005 TECH on or TYPE F trans. TYPE F ran from 1968 to 1980.

I would be concerned about the quality and purpose of TRACTOR SUPPLY oils as they are generally meant for tractor/equipment and hydraulics usage. I have reservations about house brands as you have no knowledge of where it came from.
So just run it with what I put in (for now)? What signs should I look for if the tranny does not respond right to this fluid from TS? It's not like I drive this car daily or hard.....and I would rather not waste 50 bucks worth of ATF just to add another on a concern.
Old 07-03-2021, 08:42 AM   #146
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
It looks to me that they sent you a kit for a C6.

It seems they have recently merged with another company and usually quality/service suffers. When you need to advertise on EvilBay, that alone is a warning. Same as AMAZON, a lot of counterfeit MOTORCRAFT there.

The correct kit is B-33. What was the PN on the kit they sent?

https://atpautomotive.com/filter-kit-22976
B-33 on the box. Just the wrong stuff in the box. I guess I shouldn't be so critical, they got half the order tight, they sent me the correct box!

Thanks, I was wondering, what they sent me, would fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0003.jpg (38.7 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 07-03-2021 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-03-2021, 08:48 AM   #147
KULTULZ

Quote:

So just run it with what I put in (for now)? What signs should I look for if the tranny does not respond right to this fluid from TS? It's not like I drive this car daily or hard.....and I would rather not waste 50 bucks worth of ATF just to add another on a concern.
#1 - It is not my car, but yours so I cannot give you an answer that is not biased. If you want to run it, just monitor how it performs.

You will have posters jumping on here saying "it will be just fine".

I never could fully understand price concern over quality concern. Usually, one will find the correct quality components and then price shop.

What condition was the old fluid in?

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 07-03-2021, 08:59 AM   #148
bigd1101

Quote:
#1 - It is not my car, but yours so I cannot give you an answer that is not biased. If you want to run it, just monitor how it performs.

You will have posters jumping on here saying "it will be just fine".

I never could fully understand price concern over quality concern. Usually, one will find the correct quality components and then price shop.

What condition was the old fluid in?
I understand. I guess I'll just monitor it and if shifting changes (it's smooth now) I'll replace it. I was going for the "right stuff", regardless of price. I assumed all Dex/Merc stuff is the same regardless of brand. Also, I've never owned a automatic old car or truck, other than beaters, when I was a young whipper snapper, and didn't give a sh*t what ATF I put in those, as long as it got me home so this ATF is new to me....as that goes.

I wanted to replace the ATF in this car as it was about a quart or more low and the previous owner could not remember what he put in it and of course, I was warned "not to mix" so here I am. The shop that changed it said it was as clean and pink as they had ever seen, but again, I didn't want to top it off with whatever I could find, not knowing what was in there. I call that a quandary....
Old 07-03-2021, 10:59 AM   #149
Merc Cruzer

The transmission will tell you soon enough if it doesn't agree.

I speak from experience when I say, if the fluid you put in has slipping agents, to provide for a smoother shift, the shifts will begin to "slam", since the plates will begin to slip before they grab. If that happens you will need to shorten the TV rod, as much as possible to prevent damage to the trans and rear differential. Since the rod will be the incorrect length, it will result in the loss of your "Kick Down", when you floor it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9995 (2) arrow.jpg (61.6 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 07-23-2021 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-03-2021, 11:35 AM   #150
bigd1101

Quote:
The transmission will tell you soon enough if it doesn't agree.

I speak from experience when I say, if the fluid you put in has slipping agents, to provide for a smoother shift, the shifts will begin to "slam", since the plates will begin to slip before they grab. If that happens you will need to lengthen the TV rod, as much as possible to prevent damage to the trans and rear differential. Since the rod will be the incorrect length, it will result in the loss of your "Kick Down", when you floor it.
I have the right stuff coming. I'll just drain this and add the Type F.
Old 07-03-2021, 11:43 AM   #151
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
I think that will prove to be a wise decision. You don't potentially want to create issues, where there are non.

Since we ordered them from the same vendor, did you get the correct gasket and screen/filter?
Old 07-03-2021, 11:53 AM   #152
bigd1101

Quote:
I think that will prove to be a wise decision. You don't potentially want to create issues, where there are non.

Since we ordered them from the same vendor, did you get the correct gasket and screen/filter?
I did.....
Old 07-03-2021, 02:51 PM   #153
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
I did.....
Good to hear.
Old 07-03-2021, 06:34 PM   #154
KULTULZ

Unhappy Re: New baby 1953 Merc

Quote:

TYPE F is not the correct fill for that trans unless you desire to have a more firm shift. What you have (TS) is a supposed replacement for early DEXRON-MERCON (and they were not totally alike). It is just the quality of that particular product that concerns me.

Original formulation(s) are not available as the licenses have since lapsed/expired. So a refiner can now say anything.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 07-03-2021, 08:23 PM   #155
KULTULZ

To add to the confusion and your continued reading enjoyment -

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/ford...ii-t11819.html

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 07-03-2021, 09:26 PM   #156
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
TYPE F is not the correct fill for that trans unless you desire to have a more firm shift. What you have (TS) is a supposed replacement for early DEXRON-MERCON (and they were not totally alike). It is just the quality of that particular product that concerns me.

Original formulation(s) are not available as the licenses have since lapsed/expired. So a refiner can now say anything.
You can adjust the firmness of the shift with the TV rod. Unscrewing the top "Y" piece, will make the rod longer, and will make the shift harder. Screwing it down, making the rod shorter, will make the shift softer. If you unscrew the top piece too far you will loose the kick down.

Scroll down to Ford Lincoln Mercury - first line:

http://www.carquestprofessionals.com...%206.10.13.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9995 (2) arrow.jpg (61.6 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 07-23-2021 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-03-2021, 10:03 PM   #157
KULTULZ

Fiddling with F/M TV ADJ without a pressure gauge may give you more trouble than you are prepared for. Same as with the later AOD.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 07-04-2021, 08:54 AM   #158
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Fiddling with F/M TV ADJ without a pressure gauge may give you more trouble than you are prepared for. Same as with the later AOD.
Sorry, I should have stated the following caveat: "This is for informational purposes only, this procedure should only be carried out by a trained mechanic with the proper tools."
Old 07-04-2021, 12:27 PM   #159
dmsfrr

Quote:
Sorry, I should have stated the following caveat: "This is for informational purposes only, this procedure should only be carried out by a trained mechanic with the proper tools."
Quote:
You can adjust the firmness of the shift with the TV rod. Unscrewing the top "Y" piece, will make the rod longer, and will make the shift softer. Screwing it down, making the rod shorter, will make the shift firmer. If you unscrew the top piece too far you will loose the kick down.
In the '55 Bird I have, with an air-cooled FOM... The transmission was slipping very badly when pulling away from a stop, squealing and shaking the whole car.

The car has a relatively mismatched collection of '55 and '57 parts under the hood. The top end of the engine is '57 style pieces; heads, intake, carb, throttle bellcrank...

I followed the TV linkage adjustment procedure as closely as I could and ended up unscrewing the adjustment piece, lengthening the rod. The slipping, squealing & shaking went away.

Not sure if this matches anything else, it's just what happened.
I read somewhere the shift levers on a T-Bird FOM use levers on the side of the trans that are upside down from the 'full-sized car' versions. Not sure how true that is or if it even makes a difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg throttle bellcrank, left side adjustment c2.jpg (85.8 KB, 8 views)
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 01:58 PM   #160
bigd1101

Quote:
You can adjust the firmness of the shift with the TV rod. Unscrewing the top "Y" piece, will make the rod longer, and will make the shift softer. Screwing it down, making the rod shorter, will make the shift firmer. If you unscrew the top piece too far you will loose the kick down.

Scroll down to Ford Lincoln Mercury - first line:

http://www.carquestprofessionals.com...%206.10.13.pdf
OK....there seems to be some conflict here on what I have in there now and the Type F that is coming any day now. Has anyone tried the new Type F in the Merc-o-matic with LONG TERM success? What is the consensus?

Is there a viable alternative to what is being used in there cars, other than what I have in my car now, and the Type F, I had planned on putting in???

This whole ball of confusion started with a simple question....."What IS the best ATF today, to use in the Merc-o-matic?" And to be honest, so far, there is no solid consistent (and time tested by folks on here) answer, at least that is what I'm hearing.