Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
Hster

Default Wishbone alignment

Another newbe, I bought a 1930 A pickup a few months ago. It has given me great fun and a good deal of frustration. I've wanted a Model A since I drove a friends in high school in the mid 60's. I saw this truck and just couldn't resist, so I blindly jumped in with both feet.
I drove semi's for work so the trans wasn't a problem, and the brakes weren't to scary but the death wobble was an eye opener. The spark advance, and GAV
were a bit mystifying.
The previous owner had passed away so the truck sat for a few years, But I got it going and drove it before I bought it. The death wobble didn't happen on the test drive so it was a scary, disappointing event on the drive home. With some research including this Forum (Thank You) I was able to eliminate the problem.
King pins, new steering arm balls, rebuilt drag link/tie rod ends, spring perches, and a shortened pitman arm. A little toe in and presto no more wobble.
So, here's my problem, after all of this work I had difficulty bolting up the ball on the wishbone. It is about 1/2~3/4" aft of the socket. I used a couple of nylon straps off of the front bumper brackets to pull the ball in alignment. I don't think this is right and there might be some issue with the front springs.
I have not seen any posts about this. Is this normal?
Now all I need is to be able to drive down the road and not move the steering wheel like I'm in some 30's movie. I have found someone to rebuild the box so that issue is hopefully addressed.
There is the issue of the leaking water pump throwing water and grease in the engine compartment. I tried greasing and tightening the seal but I still had a leak. I bought a leak less pump. I removed the radiator and saw a leak from a crack in the water jacket above the timing gear housing. Great so now I pull the motor. I thought I would split it at the bell housing no problem until mounts were so tight I had to pry the motor out of the frame (I think this is to be expected) but now I thinking that to put the motor back I am going to have problems lining up the trans and mounts and prying the motor back in place. So I remove the trans thinking aligning a u-joint has to be easier. Now here's an issue the u-joint housing has an internal cup that comes off with the housing. This cup has many small flat spots or dents and I think it should be smooth.
Is this normal? Is this a problem?
Thanks for any thoughts, opinions Herb
Hster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
700rpm

Default Re: Wishbone alignment

Your wishbone problem is common. I usually have to loosen the front spring u-bolts and wiggle things around when this situation arises, then use a jack to raise up the ball end, and it will snap into place. Not a biggie. Enjoy your truck. It looks like a beauty!

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 10-11-2013 at 12:05 AM.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
CarlG

Welcome!
I'm sure you will enjoy your Pickup as I have mine.

You will probably want to get a copy of the Les Andrews book(s) and the Service Bulletins. They will become your BFF, as will this forum.

A frame spreader or some other device to "gently" spread the frame at the rear motor mounts will make putting your engine back in place a piece of cake.

Be sure to look up (and join) a local Model A club. There are several near you there in Washington.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
QGolden

Welcome, nice truck. Agree on Les Andrews Book and the Service Bullitens, guaranteed ROI on the buy, Can you pist a picture of the U Joint Cup?

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Where are the dents on the inner cup?

If they are on the inside, they were caused by a U-joint hitting it, and not a problem
If they are on the outside of the cup, then you want to make them smooth, as the cup needs to move smoothly within the outer shell, and it's lubed by the grease and gear oil.

When you assemble the inner cup don't forget the 2 gaskets, one on each side of the mounting flange.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:36 AM   #6
Chuck Sea/Tac

Hey did you buy that truck from the brother of the owner in federal way?
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
Hster

Yes I did
Old 10-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
Hster

Ray.... Thanks for the info. I don't mind bending and pushing things into place as long as it considered a common practice.

Carl.... Thanks I have only had it a short while and am really having fun with it I just hope the wallet holds out. I have Vol. 1 Les Andrews and this forum has been a most informative and entertaining resource yet. I'll check into the service bulletins.

I saw the frame spreader but buying tools that I hope to use once or twice is a cost I find
hard to bare. Now maybe if I could turn it 90˚ and get another inch in the cab I would definitely get one.

The local clubs are not that local for me, but I'll look into them.

QGolden.... Thank you I'll try and post a pic

Tom.... The tiny dents or flat spots are on the outside of the cup. The inside of the receiving cup on the torque tube does not seem to be as bad but I can't imagine why or how they happened.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

Does the inside of the bell on the front end of the torque tube have marks also?

I've seen some serious gouge marks on the bell and cup parts. I can only imagine it was bounced around over rough roads and completely void of any lubrication.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #10
Hster

QGolden....I think this should work for a pic
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/7066/kayh.jpg
Old 10-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #11
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hster View Post
...get another inch in the cab...
I'd like to get another 6 inches in the cab, but that's a whole 'nuther story. My wife says that since the truck won't enlarge itself, that the occupant needs to shrink. What a gal!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #12
darrylkmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hster View Post
I removed the radiator and saw a leak from a crack in the water jacket above the timing gear housing. Great so now I pull the motor.
Thanks for any thoughts, opinions Herb
Wondering if you have addressed the crack at the water jacket, if not can you post a photo of it?

Darryl in Frozen Fairbanks
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #13
1931 flamingo

Hster: Do you have a larger picture?? That appears to just be wear due to a lack of lubrication, I wouldn't get too excited. JMO
Try a search as where/if you're leaking is a common one and can be addressed (usually) with a Dremel and some JB weld.
Are you near a tool rental place or friendly with a garage or body shop where you could rent/borrow a portapower ram to spread the frame??

WELCOME ! ! ! ! Nice truck.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #14
700rpm

"Ray.... Thanks for the info. I don't mind bending and pushing things into place as long as it considered a common practice."

Just to clarify, I am not recommending bending anything. Just loosen things up so there is some movement option.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #15
Hster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
"Ray.... Thanks for the info. I don't mind bending and pushing things into place as long as it considered a common practice."

Just to clarify, I am not recommending bending anything. Just loosen things up so there is some movement option.
I got ya. Just a stretch or spread.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #16
Hster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
I'd like to get another 6 inches in the cab, but that's a whole 'nuther story. My wife says that since the truck won't enlarge itself, that the occupant needs to shrink. What a gal!
I just think it as driving a big go cart.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #17
Hster

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylkmc View Post
Wondering if you have addressed the crack at the water jacket, if not can you post a photo of it?

I have, am buying a rebuilt motor the previous owner did the JB Weld thing. That's not the kind of fix I want. My hope is the "new" motor will resolve other issues... blow by... Babbeted bearings with a 4.11 rear end, leaking head gasket, leaking rear main seal. I realize it all works OK but I just can't seem to leave it like this.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #18
Hster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Hster: Do you have a larger picture?? That appears to just be wear due to a lack of lubrication, I wouldn't get too excited. JMO
Try a search as where/if you're leaking is a common one and can be addressed (usually) with a Dremel and some JB weld.
Are you near a tool rental place or friendly with a garage or body shop where you could rent/borrow a portapower ram to spread the frame??

WELCOME ! ! ! ! Nice truck.
Paul in CT
Thanks Paul,
I have not figured this photo post thing yet so let me try.

The fellow that is building me a motor said it is a fairly common leak and it can be repaired. I think he said it could be brazed which means I'd need to pull it or try to braze it myself. There are enough issues/concerns with this motor I'm just going to bite the
bullet or rob a bank or pan handle and get a rebuild.

The Portapower is a good idea I'm not sure about having a away to get it in place so it doesn't interfere with the trans.

I'm afraid it's not such a nice truck now
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/38/2lls.jpg/
but it will be!
Old 10-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #19
Hster

One more try for pics
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/580/uirt.jpg/
Old 10-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #20
darrylkmc

Hster

If you have a crack similar to the one shown on my Model B engine, I fixed it using 11 each 1/8" solid brass pipe plugs. I started on each end of the crack, drilled and tapped halfway into each plug and worked towards the middle, ground it near flush then center punched each plug. This was thirty years ago.

I was scratching around on the block trying to find the repair to show someone so I took some photos of it at that time.

I know that there are various ways of repairing cracks, I had read about this method in an old book and gave it a try. It was quick, easy, inexpensive and has lasted flawlessly.

Good luck

Attached Images
File Type: jpg user9967_pic9586_1314048836.jpg (27.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg user9967_pic9587_1314048836.jpg (31.3 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by darrylkmc; 10-11-2013 at 07:19 PM. Reason: rewording
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote