Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-11-2016, 10:36 PM   #21
Bruce Adams

Default Re: Kind of a Model A question

Harbor Freight has low cost winches that should handle this sort of rare occurrence. It might require a 120 to 12 volt converter. A strap around the axle should be a good hook up if the winch is low enough.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:42 PM   #22
coupe1942

If my wife was driving, she would put it in for you, as she has a long history of jumping curbs, skidding through stop signs, hitting every single pot hole from here to Hawaii and back and she is a whiz at finding the very last nail left on a country road from someone doing a roofing job 10 years earlier. She is a determined lass, as I have seen her drive the WalMart parking lot for about an hour at a time just to find a parking space near the front door. When I say near, I mean close enough to make the automatic door swing back and forth, too.

Yes, she could do it easily. Especially if you told her you din't want it done. Oh, wait, you didn't want your garage back wall extracted, did you? If not, then she probably couldn't do it. :-)
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:07 AM   #23
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe1942 View Post
If my wife was driving, she would put it in for you, as she has a long history of jumping curbs, skidding through stop signs, hitting every single pot hole from here to Hawaii and back and she is a whiz at finding the very last nail left on a country road from someone doing a roofing job 10 years earlier. She is a determined lass, as I have seen her drive the WalMart parking lot for about an hour at a time just to find a parking space near the front door. When I say near, I mean close enough to make the automatic door swing back and forth, too.

Yes, she could do it easily. Especially if you told her you din't want it done. Oh, wait, you didn't want your garage back wall extracted, did you? If not, then she probably couldn't do it. :-)
I bet your wife doesn't read the forum.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:37 AM   #24
John Kuhnast

Depending on what is broken, you may be able to put it in first gear and drive it in on the starter motor. Good to know if you are ever stuck on a rail road track.
John Kuhnast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:15 AM   #25
Wagga A'er

Could try an electric boat winch.
Wagga A'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:29 AM   #26
BILL WILLIAMSON

Late @ night, I couldn't push Cindys' VW up the ramp, to put the engine in. Put Vice Grips on the input shaft & in FIRST gear, I "wound" it in, with 1 (ONE) finger!!
Bill Trick
Old 09-12-2016, 09:29 AM   #27
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Late @ night, I couldn't push Cindys' VW up the ramp, to put the engine in. Put Vice Grips on the input shaft & in FIRST gear, I "wound" it in, with 1 (ONE) finger!!
Bill Trick
Well it would work haha. Model a just remove the plugs and use the hand crank. Granted bendix isnt jamming things up haha.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:50 AM   #28
Jon

I've got a 12 volt winch I'm trying to get rid of. If you weren't so far I'd send it to you. I suspect it will cost a lot for shipping because of the weight.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:43 AM   #29
5lugnuts

Smile Re: Kind of a Model A question

I was going to say put in gear first or reverse and use the starter to drive it but somebody beat me to it. I have done so ofter with success. On a long run stop and check the heat in the starter if your concerned. My experience has been that driving the car with the starter on a slight incline in gear turns the starter faster than when trying to start the engine when flooded.

electric winches have short cables 15 to 20 feet which may not be enough unless add rope extension and stop to re attach and pull cable back out.

My plan (not tried) was to hook a snatch block on the disabled car, put a anchor plate on the garage floor for the loose end to attach to and another anchor plate for a second snatch block. Tie one end of rope (100 foot nylon) to a tow vehicle in the garage, pass the rope through the anchored snatch block in the garage then down to and thru the snatch block on the disabled vehicle, then up to the anchor point on the garage floor. When you move the running vehicle down the driveway the disabled vehicle will come slowly up the driveway and into the garage. If the driveway were not too steep I thought maybe I could pull the disabled vehicle manually into the garage using the 2 to 1 advantage.

I used the starter button first and that worked surprisingly well in my situation. No damage done. Of course I put the charger on the battery afterwards.
5lugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:17 AM   #30
Fred K-OR

Thanks guys for all the ideas. Didn't know this subject has so many answers. Now I need to figure out the best. I may try out the starter idea in first gear just to see if it gets me up the grade before I may need to use it. Then if that doesn't work, consider some of the other ideas. Anyway thanks for the ideas.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:47 PM   #31
Cornishman

My Model A rolls so easily I would consider using a good old block and tackle to haul it into the garage. A nice Harken winch would make the job even easier.
Cornishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:28 PM   #32
Afordman31

When my floor was poured in my barn, my brother suggested that I weld a chain with hook to a piece of pipe and have the pipe lay on the ground when the cement was poured. It is inline with my overhead door. I have a incline going into my barn and have used a come a long and chains hooked together to reach out the door. Have had to use it a few times in thirty seven years. Helps not to make a old person out of you.
Afordman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:51 PM   #33
nhusa

Check Harbor freight for hand winch. You will find them for $20 to $30.
Put a 2x6 across 4 or five studs - it is best on the outside but can be lag bolted on the inside and attach an eye bolt.
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote