Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-12-2024, 12:00 PM   #1
Dirtslinger

Default T5 clutch linkage

Im getting ready to install my engine and trans (8ba and t5) into my 49 Tudor, I'm using a t5 out of a 92 mustang, has anyone done this swap and if so how did you run the clutch linkage? There also the option of using a hydraulic setup...
Dirtslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 02:02 PM   #2
GB SISSON

Default Re: T5 clutch linkage

Not sure if you are buying an adapter kit, but just a heads up is the Cornhusker kit from (Krylon32) here on the barn is the only one I came across thats drilled and machined for both the ford and chevy T5. With it you just use all of your existing stock clutch linkage.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 02:05 PM   #3
Tony, NY

I used slave cylinder for my t5 AV8.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 10:44 PM   #4
Dirtslinger

I ended up with the modern driveline adapter. I thought Cornhusker was for the s10 t5 otherwise I would’ve bought his. Tony, do you have any part numbers?
Old 05-12-2024, 11:34 PM   #5
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtslinger View Post
I ended up with the modern driveline adapter. I thought Cornhusker was for the s10 t5 otherwise I would’ve bought his. Tony, do you have any part numbers?
I just looked it up. Looks like his is for S10, but the other transmissions it works with are other chevys. I put a 6cyl genset cummins in a '47 ford pickup and worked out all the hyd clutch components from wilwood. Good luck with your project.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 05:48 AM   #6
Ziggster

I put a WC T5 from a Mustang behind my C59A. Think it was an 87 or 89, but it still had the mechanical tach input on the tailshaft. I got a used hog’s head adapter from eBay IIRC, and the adapter plate from Modern Drive Line. Due to the differences between the 59A and 8BA concerning their respective bell housings, not sure if the adapter I got from MDL will work. Biggest issue I had was getting the early factory Ford throw out bearing assy to work with the input bearing retainer on the Mustang T5, as the OD on the retainer was too small for the large bore on the early Ford throw out assy. Had to have a custom sleeve machined and pressed onto the Ford input bearing retainer. I also opted for a new all steel input retainer. I also had to swap the input shaft because it was too short to reach the pilot bearing on the flywheel. You might be ok though as I believe the input shafts were longer in later production years. It was kind of frustrating as I figured it would be plug and play, but 99% of folks who use a T5 with their flathead get one from from a GM vehicle, which has much better product support. I can’t help you with the linkages, as I haven’t gotten that far yet, and mine will be custom anyways because of my build.
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 06:51 AM   #7
cadillac512

The '49 has the external "late model" style fork, correct? Should just be altering the pushrod linkage or using an external hydraulic slave system to make things work. Credit to VanPelt for the diagram pic.

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/F...y_1949to51.jpg

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 06:06 PM   #8
Tony, NY

[QUOTE. Tony, do you have any part numbers?[/QUOTE] It was done 15+ yrs ago, so I'll have to do some searching.
Old 05-13-2024, 08:37 PM   #9
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggster View Post
I also had to swap the input shaft because it was too short to reach the pilot bearing on the flywheel. You might be ok though as I believe the input shafts were longer in later production years. It was kind of frustrating as I figured it would be plug and play, but 99% of folks who use a T5 with their flathead get one from from a GM vehicle, which has much better product support. I can’t help you with the linkages, as I haven’t gotten that far yet, and mine will be custom anyways because of my build.

T5 input shaft lengths depend on original application that trans was manufactured for. Ford T5s came with three different (longer) length shafts, all of which were 10-splined.

The length of the input shaft on a T5 depends on which T5 gearset that you use. And you must remember that you don't necessarily just swap an input shaft to change the length, because you need to match the tooth pitch and tooth count with the original shaft. That's why (in MOST cases) you must change the entire gearset.

I BELIEVE that all Ford input shafts are of the 10-spline variety and that all are either 7.18", 7.41" or 7.85" long (as measured from the front face of main case). Suffice it to say that all of the FORD 2.95 gear sets seem to have the 7.18" input length. Those all seem to have a 0.668" pilot diameter. The Camaro V8 or "close-ratio" GM transmissions with the 2.95 1st gear ALL have a 26-spline input shaft which I believe protrudes 6.69" from the front face of the main case. BEWARE that the '93 "S-10" T5 also sports a 26-spline input shaft that protrudes 7.3" from the front face of the main case. The 'wimpy' (non-close-ratio) GM transmissions all have a 14-spline input. Note that I don't have a problem with using a NWC (Non World Class) trans behind a flathead or a mild Chevy engine as the only real differences between WC and NWC is bearing type used to support the cluster gear, as well as the materials used in the synchronizer rings.

So, as far as input shafts go, the Ford T5s all have the 10-spline identifier. They are all too long to use the cast bellhousing type adapters. Most of those that I've seen seem to use a thick, drilled adapter plate which does NOT have the provision of the old Ford-like clutch cross shaft set-up like the bellhousing types come with.

As can be seen, I've concentrated on the 2.95 close-ratio transmissions. MOST of the others are too weak (torque rating) to consider using for anything but driving to the grocery store. I hope I've answered most of your questions.

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 06:37 AM   #10
Ziggster

Yep. I made sure I got the correct tooth count on my input shat to match that of the gear set. No further work was necessary. The 7.18” measurement is basically what I measured on mine (7.12”) in the thread I posted on the HAMB below.
Someone in that thread had an 8BA with a stamped steel bell hsg and MDL adapter and measured 7” from the back of the block to the front face of the T5. So, adding the thickness of the pilot bearing (0.472”), plus the depth of the chamfer on the crank (0.333”), plus the 7”, you end with 7.805” for a length the input shaft should stick out from the front face of the T5 for an 8BA assuming the pilot bearing/crank chamfer dimensions are the same as that for a 59A. This means you need the longest input shaft with a length of 7.85”.
I’m sure the OP had figured all this out if they are already looking at clutch linkages, but good to post these details for others down the road who are looking for this type of info as I wish I could have found a detailed thread when I was trying to figure it all out.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...eeded.1309261/
Old 05-14-2024, 06:45 AM   #11
Ziggster

Here’s a pic of the new steel/cast iron input retainer with the sleeve pressed on. That stupid sleeve cost me CAN$400 to have machined!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 92F7D43B-6613-4852-8F30-032645B1770C.jpg (32.7 KB, 81 views)
Old 05-14-2024, 08:19 AM   #12
flatford8

On my ‘51 I made a bracket to take the place of the boss on the stock trans. This is using the stock metal clutch housing.I still have to work out the ID of the TO bearing to the OD of the input shaft sleeve difference ........Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 259F9F1A-1D27-4567-B837-D3F92EB1D5EC.jpg (33.8 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg DEC1576E-1B9E-4B28-8CF0-1D64E4C0612F.jpg (38.6 KB, 85 views)
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 11:23 AM   #13
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggster View Post
Here’s a pic of the new steel/cast iron input retainer with the sleeve pressed on. That stupid sleeve cost me CAN$400 to have machined!

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 11:23 AM   #14
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
On my ‘51 I made a bracket to take the place of the boss on the stock trans. This is using the stock metal clutch housing.I still have to work out the ID of the TO bearing to the OD of the input shaft sleeve difference ........Mark

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 05-14-2024, 02:33 PM   #15
Tony, NY

I have the Cornhusker kit which has a arm on the clutch shaft.
A master cyl kit from Wilwood # 260-3376 (7/8) https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Wilwo...?sku=70174-875
A slave cyl from Speedway.(I'm pretty sure this is the one or similar) https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Push-...it,379228.html
My master cyl is under the floor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t5 adapter.jpg (59.0 KB, 73 views)
Old 05-14-2024, 03:01 PM   #16
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony, NY View Post
I have the Cornhusker kit which has a arm on the clutch shaft.
A master cyl kit from Wilwood # 260-3376 (7/8) https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Wilwo...?sku=70174-875
A slave cyl from Speedway.(I'm pretty sure this is the one or similar) https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Push-...it,379228.html
My master cyl is under the floor.

Old 05-15-2024, 12:39 AM   #17
Dirtslinger

Flatford 8, that's exactly what I was lookin for, thank you.
I will have to double check my input shaft length, Im still assembling the trans but hopefully I have the longer one. The knowledge on this site is just awesome