Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2021, 01:09 PM   #1
bob p

Default Misses and pops

I have a 1931 Model A that I just bought recently. On the first try to start it it missed and popped. I replaced the points, condenser, then the dist. coil, dist. body, cap, wire and rotor, manifolds carburator and checked the timing gears. the valves all work and have 65 lbs. comp. New gas. Ignition switch and cable. I am stumped. It has always seemed to me to be out of time. Any suggestions. Thanks, Bob.
bob p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 01:44 PM   #2
jg61hawk

Default Re: Misses and pops

If you have a Model B timing cover on a Model A it will look fine BUT the timing will always be way off. See below...........

Here's is a great link to Timing Covers.

http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/timingcovers.htm

READ TO THE END. THE FINAL CONSIDERATIONS ARE EXTREMELY INTERESTING AND MAY BE YOUR ENTIRE PROBLEM...IF IN FACT YOU CAN'T SEEM TO TIME THIS. Again I need others here to tell the difference from a Model B distributor and a Model A distributor.
jg61hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 03:06 PM   #3
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Have you Checked fuel delivery ,Crud in the tank sediment bowl ,Lean condition ,

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:26 PM   #4
nkaminar

I assume you mean popping in the carburetor. Missing and popping from the carburetor are a sign of a lean mixture. You can verify this by opening up the GAV quite a bit or holding the choke partly closed. If the engine runs smooth under either of these temporary fixes then it is likely that there is crap in the carburetor and it needs to be cleaned out.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:48 PM   #5
nkaminar

Pops was what my dad called his dad. When referring to my grandparents I guess I could call them Misses and Pops. They died a long time ago but these days I see my grandfather in the mirror.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:15 AM   #6
ronn

but these days I see my grandfather in the mirror.

aint that the truth!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 02:44 PM   #7
eagle

The FIRST thing to do is to try and determine if its a fuel or a spark issue. Obviously timing needs to be set correctly too. To check ballpark timing find top dead center compression stroke of first cylinder, then mark the front pulley with a bright paintstick. Now lift the first cylinder spark plug strap a 1/4" off of the lug. Have someone turn the car over with ignition on, keep gas off so it doesn't start. You should be able to see the spark jump the gap at the same time the mark on the pulley comes around. (or you can use an old timing light) Like I said, its ballpark only. If that checks OK, lift all of the sparkplug straps a 1/4", start the car and watch the spark jump the gap, you'll be able to see if its a nice strong, blue, regular spark or if its yellow, weak, and intermittent. If all that checks out then turn to the carb/intake manifold/etc. Its NOT a good idea to start replacing parts until you determine what is wrong. Shotgunning, or throwing parts usually introduces more problems than it solves. Usually if a piece of equipment has 1 problem, its typically pretty straightforward to solve. If there are two separate problems its about 4 times as difficult to solve. 3 problems and its at least 9 times as difficult. That's my math, not scientific

Last edited by eagle; 10-13-2021 at 02:51 PM.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:36 PM   #8
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
but these days I see my grandfather in the mirror.

aint that the truth!
Youse guys are lucky for having had grandfathers.
Old 10-14-2021, 05:10 PM   #9
tinkirk

Might want to check for an intake leak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tinkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 10:18 PM   #10
edgar44

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
The FIRST thing to do is to try and determine if its a fuel or a spark issue. Obviously timing needs to be set correctly too. To check ballpark timing find top dead center compression stroke of first cylinder, then mark the front pulley with a bright paintstick. Now lift the first cylinder spark plug strap a 1/4" off of the lug. Have someone turn the car over with ignition on, keep gas off so it doesn't start. You should be able to see the spark jump the gap at the same time the mark on the pulley comes around. (or you can use an old timing light) Like I said, its ballpark only. If that checks OK, lift all of the sparkplug straps a 1/4", start the car and watch the spark jump the gap, you'll be able to see if its a nice strong, blue, regular spark or if its yellow, weak, and intermittent. If all that checks out then turn to the carb/intake manifold/etc. Its NOT a good idea to start replacing parts until you determine what is wrong. Shotgunning, or throwing parts usually introduces more problems than it solves. Usually if a piece of equipment has 1 problem, its typically pretty straightforward to solve. If there are two separate problems its about 4 times as difficult to solve. 3 problems and its at least 9 times as difficult. That's my math, not scientific
I concur.
edgar44 is offline   Reply With Quote