Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-18-2022, 02:44 PM   #1
SoCal365

Default 1932 Ford Roadster Street Rod

Hi guys I saw this 32 roadster on clasiq. I don't much about fiberglass body cars. What do think about this build. Finished in 2014 by a Colorado builder. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

https://www.clasiq.com/auction/1932-ford-roadster/
SoCal365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 03:23 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: 1932 Ford Roadster Street Rod

There are lots of fiberglass 32 Fords for sale and the cost of building one can greatly exceed its selling price value. Keep in mind it's not really a 32 Ford. It's a fiberglass retro-rod. They are small on the small inside, prone to leaking and not the kind of car you drive on a long trip for any length of time. Very uncomfortable. Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY IT WITHOUT SEEING IT and sitting in it IN PERSON. Street rods are not Fordbarn favorites so opinions may vary. Just for the heck of it, post your question on HAMB.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 03:28 PM   #3
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal365 View Post
Hi guys I saw this 32 roadster on clasiq. I don't much about fiberglass body cars. What do think about this build. Finished in 2014 by a Colorado builder. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

https://www.clasiq.com/auction/1932-ford-roadster/

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 06:15 PM   #4
Mart

It's not hamb fodder either.
Not one piece of that car left the production line in 1932.
It appears to have a 1932 vin number though.

Funny, that, ain't it?
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 06:33 PM   #5
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY IT WITHOUT SEEING IT and sitting in it IN PERSON. Street rods are not Fordbarn favorites so opinions may vary. Just for the heck of it, post your question on HAMB.

I don't believe I would show that thing on the H.A.M.B. either, as those guys will "razz" you unmercifully. That car doesn't even qualify as a decent 'street rod'! I'd forget that rig, get serious, and keep on lookin'! That is a joke!! And like Charlie ny points-out, that "VIN" is bogus as hell on a non-stock frame. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 06:42 PM   #6
19Fordy

V8 and others make good points. Remember Boyd Coddington (RIP) and other builders got caught up in building 32 Fords with questionable VIN NUMBERS. You are correct. HAMBers will slaughter any questions. Fiberglass 32's are probably more plentiful than genuine Henry ford 32's. What you are buying is just a toy. I would "pass" on it.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 02-18-2022 at 06:50 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 11:26 PM   #7
deuce_roadster

The kind of "car guy" that fiberglass 32 roadsters appeal to isn't the kind of "car guy" you will find here. There are plenty out there who would find nothing wrong with it and for them, fine, I won't knock you. Everyone likes something different. The VAST majority of folks here are Henry Ford produced bodies with Flathead engine enthusiasts.

I personally have a fiberglass car that GM made in 1957 but you will find no pictures or discussion of it here.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 12:44 AM   #8
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post

I personally have a fiberglass car that GM made in 1957 but you will find no pictures or discussion of it here.

ONLY because "Mr. deuce_roadster" is quite civilized, cultured, and extremely considerate of the forum rules. But if he wasn't, his GM 'glass car is pretty darned slick as we speak, and once finish-assembled, will be "over the top"! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 02-19-2022, 01:01 AM   #9
ssffnomad

Yuck ��
ssffnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 01:43 AM   #10
deuce lover

Here is a thread on the HAMB the OP might want to check out to educate himself
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/posts/13546038/
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 09:16 PM   #11
Holeshot

You are on the wrong site but to answer your question I 'd pull th trigger on it. You can't build it for that.
Old 02-20-2022, 08:42 AM   #12
glennpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post

The best looking year in my opinion. Love to have one.

Glenn
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 11:37 AM   #13
TJ

Lots of glass roadsters for sale and the prices are far less than the original build cost. I built a Wescott bodied car years ago and they are the best on the market in my book if you want a glass car. The steel Brookville bodies put the glass cars in the tank for prices.
Just look at e-Bay and other car sites and you will see how many of them are for sale and many of them at bargain prices.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 12:25 PM   #14
Ol' Ron

Trying to push all the hot rodders off the ford barn, is doing a dis service to many barn members. Unless we limit the membership to restorers only, and loose 90% of the members. WE/I offer a service to all, to keep these old cars on the road, sometimes they are not original, but they preform a service to some.
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 12:36 PM   #15
Shoebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Trying to push all the hot rodders off the ford barn, is doing a dis service to many barn members. Unless we limit the membership to restorers only, and loose 90% of the members. WE/I offer a service to all, to keep these old cars on the road, sometimes they are not original, but they preform a service to some.
Gramps

X2 What Ol' Ron said.

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 01:06 PM   #16
deuce_roadster

Ol'Ron,
Of my 5 old Fords, 1 is a concourse restoration (40 wagon), 1 is an unrestored original (33 phaeton) The rest are modified (disk brakes, engine (32 roadster) Lincoln brakes , engine(32 5w and 40 coupe) and all are flathead powered, mild hotrods. I have no problem with non stock cars as long as the engine is a flathead. I support letting the owners of fiberglass bodied Ford replicas with SBC engines know there are other forums more appropriate for them. I have more modified cars then pure stock.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 01:12 PM   #17
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Gramps
I don't see this as a problem. "Trying to push all the Hot Rodders off the Ford Barn" is not what this is about. I don't believe that anyone wants to "limit the membership to restorers only". Granted, if the car had a flathead or a genuine steel Ford body, it would be a better fit. The main problem here is that is the absolutely wrong place to ask this question. The overwhelming majority of members here reject this type of car out of hand, so the poster (I notice this was his first post) will not get a balanced response. Those who suggested that there would be better forums on which to ask about this are correct. If he wants a car like this, he should be asking a group of his peers, not a bunch of old, biased curmudgeons.

To the O/P I would say, you are welcome here if you are interested in the types of vehicles the people on this board like, but for this type of car, there are far better places to get an unbiased opinon.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 01:34 PM   #18
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I don't see this as a problem. "Trying to push all the Hot Rodders off the Ford Barn" is not what this is about. I don't believe that anyone wants to "limit the membership to restorers only". Granted, if the car had a flathead or a genuine steel Ford body, it would be a better fit. The main problem here is that is the absolutely wrong place to ask this question. The overwhelming majority of members here reject this type of car out of hand, so the poster (I notice this was his first post) will not get a balanced response. Those who suggested that there would be better forums on which to ask about this are correct. If he wants a car like this, he should be asking a group of his peers, not a bunch of old, biased curmudgeons.

To the O/P I would say, you are welcome here if you are interested in the types of vehicles the people on this board like, but for this type of car, there are far better places to get an unbiased opinon.

Just about everything that Denny ("tubman") said above is true scoop. The ONE distinctive thought that I had about the red car above...there are nice, well-done, quality STREET RODS out there. This 'Street Rod' doesn't even meet that discription. This car (to me) is put together LOW-Budget, no distinct style, nothing noteworthy...just kind of 'icky'. Your mileage may vary!! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 02-20-2022, 02:47 PM   #19
bobH

DD, opinion.... Me thinks, at the price, it's a great buy. Sure, there are many aspects that I would do differently. But, I call it a good value, and a price which would allow me to modify it to suit my taste. Better yet, if it happened to have an early Wescott body, on a chassis prepared by P-wood or Jake, and at that price, I'd be all over it. As said, obviously opinion.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 03:12 PM   #20
tubman

A couple of comments on the last couple of posts. First "DD" : Your standards are a LOT higher than mine. There are some things I don't like at all (the air cleaner, the turn signals, and the automatic transmission), but overall it looks quite well done.

Also, we don't know the actual price yet. As of my last look, it was $27,300 with a little over two hours left. I've seen these auctions go crazy in the last couple of minutes, so I an reserving my judgement on value until it actually sells.

If someone gave it to me, I'd drive the wheels off of it!
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote