Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-17-2020, 09:21 AM   #1
Mart

Default Flathead Friday. Bust out the Buma! And the BFH! Boring for liners..

I finally get the Crusty flathead block set up and in a position to start boring for liners. Four of the bores were so badly deteriorated a liner (sleeve) is the only viable repair. The basis of this video is the third one I did, as I was establishing methods and processes that were working. I am a novice and am self taught. Experts will probably cringe at me muddling my way through, with just helpful advice from forums to steer me. I show some details of the tool setting and measuring. I show the third liner going in but also cut in the other three going in as well. Presented purely for entertainment rather than a how to please find my latest offering:

https://youtu.be/AtBJmnhoYqA

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:44 AM   #2
5851a

Default Re: Flathead Friday. Bust out the Buma! And the BFH! Boring for liners..

Interesting, that's.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:21 AM   #3
hook00pad

Default Re: Flathead Friday. Bust out the Buma! And the BFH! Boring for liners..

Good Job, Mart!

Al Hook
hook00pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:01 PM   #4
done4

Send a message via Yahoo to done4

Interesting to watch, thank you. Question, how long did you keep the sleeves in the freezer?
Old 01-17-2020, 03:22 PM   #5
19Fordy

Mart: Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to share your knowledge and skill doing things like "back in the day" when those type machines were the cutting edge. I remember I had a block bored to 3.375 in 1967 and it cost $5 per hole. No sleeves.
Keep going.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 04:39 PM   #6
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Mart: Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to share your knowledge and skill doing things like "back in the day" when those type machines were the cutting edge. I remember I had a block bored to 3.375 in 1967 and it cost $5 per hole. No sleeves.
Keep going.

I remember having my first little Chevy done for $3 per hole back in the spring of 1966 at H. O. Andrews' Speed Shop here in Houston on the North Side. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:08 PM   #7
dwick01

Really enjoying your videos. Looks like things are coming along nicely.
dwick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:06 PM   #8
Mart

Thanks for the responses, fellas. The liners were in the freezer roughly an hour. Only on No.2 did I get the effect I expected. That one had no hylomar at the top of the bore, that might have made the difference.

The last block I had bored was £25 per hole. I believe it would be a bit more now. I had one go through to the water jacket and was quoted £100 per cylinder for linering.

So basically at those prices that job would have been £400 for the liners and another £100 for the other four bores. The liners cost me about £100 to buy and get them shipped here all taxes paid. I have about £300 in the boring machine. So I reckon I'm up on the deal by £100 after the first job, plus I've learnt loads about it.

Mart.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:50 PM   #9
VeryTangled

Who's your Daddy? Eh?

That fourth one sure gave you a fight!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (62.3 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg Capture1.jpg (59.3 KB, 132 views)

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 01-17-2020 at 06:55 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:54 PM   #10
Russ/40

I'm so jealous that you have that boring bar. I'd love to be able to do that.
Great job Mart, and thanks for letting us go along with you.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:01 AM   #11
Mart

Thanks for the replies. yes the boring machine was a lucky find. It was on ebay but missing all the tools and accessories. It was a pleasant day out to pick it up from the Lake District, which is very picturesque. I scored the micrometer separately but luckily it seems to be the right one for the job.

Mart.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:33 PM   #12
rotorwrench

On the tractors, I've used purpose fabricated step plate that fit into the top of the sleeve and have a threaded center in order to use a slide hammer to drive them. They can be driven by a press if a shop has the necessary equipment.

I think you are doing fine the way you are since you are using what you have at hand and it seems to be working OK. The sealing material and procedure might be the only thing to think about. A slow set epoxy adhesive might be better for cracked or broken cylinder walls and you can apply it after the temps get a bit more equalized. It can be applied to the cylinder wall or the liner as you choose. Hylomar was developed more as a case sealant but I use LocTite 518 for that now days and threebond 1211 for most other case fitting with silk thread as a dam. This modern stuff works very well.

The differential temp allows for a quick fit but leaves moisture on the liner due to condense. The moisture can cause problems with sealant. A lot of manufacturer's recommend to actually heat the liner in an oven and leave the block room temp. Now I know this doesn't make a lot of sense. They claim that it will drop most of the way in with pressing to do the final seat. I've never tried it this way. The only thing I can figure is that the liner expands mostly inward instead of outward as a person would expect. I'd have to see it to believe it since I haven't tried it yet.

Keep on hitting it. Your getting there.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote