Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-06-2014, 07:44 PM   #1
felix37

Default I finaly chose a cam!

Well, I finally chose and purchased my cam and lifter set today for my 39 221 engine. As my engine is basically stock, I chose the ISKY Max#1.. I hope I will be happy with it! We have them in a few cars here at Honest Charley, Like our shop truck and the 32' Double Exposure. I do feel better knowing that it was listed in O'l Ron's book as a good street cam(not his favorite though)
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:16 PM   #2
Ol' Ron

Default Re: I finaly chose a cam!

That's not a bad choice, however I expected mor from it, but after reading JWL's book I find it;s low end power loss to be more than I thought
When building an engine you have to consider the gains and losses of the components you use. A stock engine does not benefit from a cam of any kind with out some thing to forgive it's short comings. The 21 stud is a small displacement engine, however from 37 on they can be bored to 239ci. this and some milling of the head can bring back the low end loss and then the mid and upper range of the Max#1 can be enjoyed. You don't get something for nothing.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
Walt Dupont--Me.

I've used many many of those cams. I don't think you can beat them for an every day street car. Good low end and mid range and a good idle. I know I'm old but I'm sick of these jerky track cams. Get you compression up as high as you can, and dual carbs. If you using that 37 flywheel, remove that outside lip. That's about 10# and use the 9in. clutch and PP . You'll love it. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:07 PM   #4
felix37

Ron my engine is the 39 221 24 stud engine. It's bored 80 over and I took about .20 off the heads. Walt, my flywheel is the 11' truck unit, although it proved to be super smooth with my T-5 I'm thinking about using the car flywheel with 9'' clutch as you stated.
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:36 PM   #5
Ol' Ron

The economy engine in my truck is 280 ci and is otherwise stock, Heads have been milled for .045/,050" piston the clearance, EAB can,Merc intake is bored for the 2GC and it has one of Richards distributors. The only reason I put this thing together was to set a reasonable amt of performance and economy in a 4000lb truck. I hope to give the results to the people on the Barn here so they may make better choices in ther builds. I'll try as many things as I can to improve the fuel mileage, and I have a few mountians to climb as well. Then the L-100 goes back in. Just love that sound.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote