Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-21-2019, 02:05 PM   #1
oj

Default Wide5 wheel studs, need some

I need 4sets of Wide 5 wheel studs, I've checked with van Pelt and others without luck. I measured best I could and went to Dormans' website but they didn't have anything.
Any suggestions?
oj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:21 PM   #2
barnfind08

Default Re: Wide5 wheel studs, need some

I have those nos ford
barnfind08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:33 PM   #3
oldandtired

I have a variety of NOS ones. I am around 1000 miles from home and my parts/parts book, but off the top of my head I thought the studs were not all the same. The ones that go on the spare mounting flange are not the same, either, from what I remember.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:14 PM   #4
Flathead Fever

Dorman use to have an illustrated wheel stud catalog that listed the studs by the diameter, length and the spline diameter. I used that catalog to find the correct studs for mounting Buick drums on Ford hubs. The catalog doesn't seem to exist on the Dorman site?

I'm pretty sure I have one of those catalogs out in the garage. I use to bring home all the old catalogs from work when they sent out the new ones each year.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:00 AM   #5
oj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead Fever View Post
Dorman use to have an illustrated wheel stud catalog that listed the studs by the diameter, length and the spline diameter. I used that catalog to find the correct studs for mounting Buick drums on Ford hubs. The catalog doesn't seem to exist on the Dorman site?

I'm pretty sure I have one of those catalogs out in the garage. I use to bring home all the old catalogs from work when they sent out the new ones each year.
I looked the the Dorman 'on-line' catalog and contacted their tech, they advised me to go to Moroso or ARP.
I am doing what you did, mating the Buick drum to Wide 5 hub, I tried using (I just doublechecked and realized I read my caliper wrong, my mistake) .563 knurl (I thought it was .663, dammit) and it is too small for the 2pc Ford hub/drum. Ford does show a .620 knurl but that is a huge difference.
The problem I found with the Dorman stud was the knurl didn't extend the full length of the shoulder, it stopped before going into the Ford hub.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:08 AM   #6
RalphM

If your going to Buick drums, why not just use later 40’s hubs? Seems it would be easier, unless your keeping wide five wheels. And in that case, I’d like to see details on how you are accomplishing this.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:35 AM   #7
oj

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
If your going to Buick drums, why not just use later 40’s hubs? Seems it would be easier, unless your keeping wide five wheels. And in that case, I’d like to see details on how you are accomplishing this.
For some reason I am determined to mate the wide 5 and Buick, a need for self punishment I guess.
I'll probably do a tech piece on it over on the hamb, I'll give you headsup. I received a lot of help from Dick Spadaro, without his help I'd never figured it all out. RIP Dick, we miss you.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:42 PM   #8
Flathead Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by oj View Post
I looked the the Dorman 'on-line' catalog and contacted their tech, they advised me to go to Moroso or ARP.
I am doing what you did, mating the Buick drum to Wide 5 hub, I tried using (I just doublechecked and realized I read my caliper wrong, my mistake) .563 knurl (I thought it was .663, dammit) and it is too small for the 2pc Ford hub/drum. Ford does show a .620 knurl but that is a huge difference.
The problem I found with the Dorman stud was the knurl didn't extend the full length of the shoulder, it stopped before going into the Ford hub.
My Buick drums are on the later Ford hubs. Here is the 1988 Dorman Illustrated Wheel Stud catalog that Dorman does not know exists or existed??? I have hundreds of parts catalogs. I got lucky, this one just happened to be on top of one of the piles. Its a neat catalog for projects like your working on.

Give me the dimensions for A,B,C, and D dimensions and I will see what I can find. They have 1/2" studs (A) up to 2 7/8" long (B), spline diameters up to .757" (C) and spline shoulders (D) up to 1 3/16" long. But they do not have combinations of all the different dimensions. There is something here that should work. When we find the number you need then we can go look at a picture of that stud. My wife thinks I'm a hoarder but you need to have catalogs like these if your building "weird things" like Buick drums on wide-five Ford hubs. How else would you figure this stuff out. Its not happening at Autozone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190322_113655.jpg (69.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20190322_113742.jpg (74.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20190322_113817.jpg (35.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20190322_113838.jpg (41.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20190322_113848.jpg (48.2 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Flathead Fever; 03-23-2019 at 06:04 PM.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote