Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-25-2024, 11:16 AM   #101
OldGold360

Default Re: More New Sheetmetal Products for Pickups

Hi Dave,
I am aware that the battery hole is different for the trucks due to frame differences, and I plan to offer both versions, but I was not aware of any difference regarding the attachment holes for pickups and trucks. I have two cabs off of ‘36 trucks here and both have 13 mounting holes, same as my pickup cab. I did see the earlier floorboard blueprint that you shared in another post and it looked to have the same number and location of attachment holes as the drawing you just posted, at least from what I can remember anyways. Could the difference be a change made from early cabs to late cabs? Also, on the blueprint I have, the one with fewer attachment holes, the cutout size for the transmission is also different and it also shows 5 “buttons” to secure that transmission cover versus the 3 commonly seen. Any thoughts on any of this? Thank you for your help.

Last edited by OldGold360; 02-25-2024 at 11:22 AM.
OldGold360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 02:26 PM   #102
OldGold360

Another question… is the ‘37 pickup floorboard the same as 35-36 minus the battery access hole?
Old 02-25-2024, 03:07 PM   #103
37 truck

I believe that the 37 is the same as 35 and 36 with the battery access exception. The main change was the split windshield. Same under cab support wood, same cab to frame bolts etc. Minor diffference in pedals, and ribs under seat riser.
37 truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 06:35 PM   #104
Model51

One difference in the 1935 and 1936 pickup and big truck cabs is the sill member supporting the back edge of floorboard no. 2. The pickup sill member is part of the seat riser while for the big truck the sill supports the gas tank so it's a bit stronger. It's speculation on my part that Ford reduced the number of attaching screws on the big truck to account for this difference in sill members. The big truck and pickup cabs remained the same for 1935 and 1936 production so I think the number of screws on the back edge remains different for '35 and '36 pickups and trucks. All the trucks I've encountered have only have two clinch nuts on the rear sill.

I too have an early (September 1934) pickup floorboard number 2 drawing showing 5 of the turn buttons. The next version of the same drawing I have is dated June 26, 1935 but there are four revisions between these dates and I don't have any information on what any of the five revisions did to the part. The only way to know is from a copy of the Parts Release cards, which I don't have, and they are locked up in the Ford Archives. So, I can't tell you when Ford changed from 5 turn buttons to 3 or even if the September 1934 drawing was pre-production and never was used in that configuration.

I can tell you that Ford was making changes to the design of floorboard no. 1 and 2 around the start or in the early part of 1935 production. I have an early floorboard no. 1 design which must have only lasted a very short time in early 1935 production. I've attached a sketch of the early '35 design and the one used for the majority of production. Again this is speculation, but maybe the 5 turn button design was used with the early style floorboard no. 1 and both were phased out. Just guessing at this point. These are both for the Truck and the pickup floorboard no. 1 is slightly different. I don't have those drawing to be sure Ford made the same change, but I think it's likely. Note too that the turn button spacing and the transmission cutout shape is different with the early version. If I were you, I'd stick to the three button design as that's what most folks with pickups and trucks will likely want.

Sorry for the very long answer to a relatively simple question. It's great you are making these parts and I'll help you however I can with one arm tied behind my back since the Ford Archives are closed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Figure 3-9-1 Floorboard No 1.jpg (20.2 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Figure 3-9-2 Floorboard No 1 Ver 2.jpg (14.1 KB, 66 views)
Model51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 09:24 PM   #105
OldGold360

Thanks Dave. You’ve been a big help as always. Perhaps these cabs I have were not originally from a truck. I know one came off a truck but that doesn’t mean it was the factory cab for that truck. If the only difference between the truck and pickup plywood floorboard is the difference in mounting holes and battery access hole, I may just have to offer both versions.Thanks again.
Old 02-25-2024, 11:11 PM   #106
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model51 View Post
I've attached a sketch of the early '35 design and the one used for the majority of production. Again this is speculation, but maybe the 5 turn button design was used with the early style floorboard no. 1 and both were phased out. Just guessing at this point. These are both for the Truck and the pickup floorboard no. 1 is slightly different. I don't have those drawing to be sure Ford made the same change, but I think it's likely. Note too that the turn button spacing and the transmission cutout shape is different with the early version. If I were you, I'd stick to the three button design as that's what most folks with pickups and trucks will likely want.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 11:36 PM   #107
Model51

Yep - there are two versions for sure of floorboard no. 2. The model 50/67 cab and the '35-'36 model 51 cab have several minor differences. Most don't matter, but it does make a difference for the floorboard and the seat and gas tank arrangement.
Model51 is offline   Reply With Quote