Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-06-2016, 09:59 PM   #1
flathead4dr

Default 1955 F100 door hinge adjustment

I am trying to reinstall the doors after a paint job and not having much luck getting them adjusted.....not even close ! And no, the hinges are not marked as per location. Does someone out there have some good advise for me? I'm getting real frustrated. I have a lot of mechanical experience but this thing has really got me baffled.

I know it may take a lot of talking, so if you don't mind you can give me a call @ 509-750-0098. If this is not a free call for you, I would be more than happy to call you right back on my dime.

Thanks, Bill
Old 01-07-2016, 09:58 AM   #2
wellcraft17

Default Re: 1955 F100 door hinge adjustment

I've always used a 2x4 and a roll around floor jack on my 56 F100 with the running boards off. Place the wood under the bottom edge of the door, jack it in place, get into the cab and tighten the mounting bolts. This works best only if the hinges are not worn out.
wellcraft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:16 AM   #3
Ford blue blood

You would be suprised how flexible the cab is. First get the door aligned to the hinge side. Get a nice even fit down the entire gap. Next close the door as close to latching as you can. If it looks like it has sagged tighten the body bolts infront of the fire wall or put shims under the body mount under the door jam. Do just the opposite if it looks too high in the opening. You will need to do this on both sides then go back and do it again. It don't take much to move the rear portion of the door up and down so go at it gently.

If the door looks like it is too long but fits square in the opening the hinges will need to be bent. Again go slowly as both the top and bottom will need the same tweek.

I know the door gaps are hard to see on the front and back but the top is even. Had the cab off the frame during the build, put it back on to fit everything and it got torn apart again for finishing.. Wisn I had a better side shot but that bad boy has been gone for a long time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img065.jpg (52.1 KB, 14 views)

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:29 PM   #4
5851a

The body shop I worked at for a time adjusted the doors with the striker removed to get the gaps straight. After the lines were right then installed the striker and adjusted it. It does take a lot of time and the lines and gaps are one of the few things that did get better in later years. For trucks it was around the year 2000 or so. Have to admire body work with a perfect line, sometimes the stamping just will not be perfect. Trucks were meant to work, comfort and looking pretty took a back seat to getting the job done for a price.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:11 PM   #5
frank long island

were the floors or sill plates replaced/repaired? I did a 51 last summer that was repaired with the doors off and when it came time to fit it was a no go the bottom of the cab had closed up had to cut the back door jamb to get lines and re weld as for adjustment if I remember the cab side of hinge gives you up and down/in and out door side is front to back also the striker removal is a good tip
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote