Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-21-2020, 07:17 AM   #1
russcc

Default 97 jet plug removal

I have a 97 that needs rebuilding. I would like get the jet plugs out with out damaging anything. I have tried to get penetrating oil down into the jet area, not sure it made it. Not sure I want to use the old standby, heat on crap metal, Tips for getting the plugs out with out damage ? Thank you Fordbarners.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 07:28 AM   #2
nickthebandit

Default Re: 97 jet plug removal

I have removed many a stuck jet out of Stromberg carburetors. Sometimes you just need some heat as well as good penetrating oil. What I do is use a propane torch, heat the outside of the jet area, apply some penetrating oil, and set the carburetor body aside to let it cool. Then I try using a jet wrench. sometimes it takes more than 1 try to get the jet out. I have never failed to get the jets out using this method. after the jet is removed, run a 3/8-24 tap down the threads to clean up any debris, or crud in the threads. that way, when you re-assemble the carburetor it should be easier to get the jets back in.
nickthebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 07:54 AM   #3
Charlie ny
BANNED

Russ,
Your plug gaskets are on the way....your address found it's way into my
archive folder.

I'll go with Nick, just enough heat to smoke or bubble the penetrating oil.
In severe cases I machine the jets and power valves out. My homemade holding
fixtures and milling machine reduce the frustration.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 12:23 PM   #4
russcc

The jets are not the issue, the jet plugs are what I was asking about. Same treatment, Kroil or you fav P oil, and a gentle heat/cool cycle ? Thank you Fordbarners. Happy Father's day.l
Old 06-21-2020, 12:39 PM   #5
nickthebandit

If the jet plugs are the issue, Snap-On made a socket tool to use for their removal. I have 2 in my possession. Otherwise use a screwdriver with a very wide tip. Most screwdriver tips are too narrow, and won't give you enough leverage without screwing up the screwdriver slot. try a screwdriver that has a hex on the shaft to give you more leverage, use it with an open end wrench on the hex. Put the carburetor body back on the base, then mount the base in a big vise to hold it securely. this way all of your effort will be directed to the jet plugs, not to trying to hold the caruretor body.
nickthebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:01 PM   #6
Floyd

If you are talking about the big brass plugs in the bowl that provide access to the jets, then a screwdriver (even a big one) is the wrong tool. Those plugs have a curve shape in the bottom of the groove. The proper tool has the curve shape on the bottom of the blade. The Snap-on tool (of course) is the proper tool to use. You can also easily make a tool by cutting a slot in a small socket and placing the correct size grade 8 washer in the slot and weld/braze it in. Use a washer that fits the curvature and width of the plug slot. Then you ca use a socket handle on your new tool and the curved blade will no slip out of the groove like a screwdriver always does.
My opinion and experience
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 06:48 PM   #7
russcc

Good ideas. When I got enough leverage on 1 '97 with a large screw driver, the plug broke off. So to me it's not the "right" tool, it's ensuring that it free enough to come out without breaking of the plug. The heat/cool, penetrating oil, and patience will eventually do it, no hurry.