Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-25-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
tennsmith

Default '36 Ford Rocker Panel Installation

Anyone out there replaced the rocker panels in a '36 3W or 5W coupe? I'm facing that task and have been searching the internet for replacements and the only manufacturer of them that I can find is EMS. I'm a tad apprehensive about these because of another individual with whom I talked who said that EMS products often times were "close" but not exact replicas of the factory part.

Wondering if anyone has used these and how difficult the installation was and if any real problems were encountered. Also much interested to know/find out if there are other manufacturers of these items. If so, I'd sure like contact information.

TIA

Robert Smith/Huntsville, AL
tennsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
wamnram

Default Re: '36 Ford Rocker Panel Installation

Precision Coachworks in MA. 1-800-322-1940. www.precisioncoachworks.com makes the frame section under the rockers if you need them.
I've used his before and have been very satisfied. I have bought some really good rocker panels before for my 36's, i'll have to dig around and see where I got them from.

Sorry for the delay. I bought them from Mcpherson auto. www.mcphersonauto.com, 620-241-7096

Last edited by wamnram; 05-25-2011 at 06:57 PM.
wamnram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
richard crow

there is a man in ka name is mcpherson not sure on the spelling he makes them some one on the barn should have his web site try goggle it
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:20 PM   #4
kustoman

Go to Steve at Mcpherson Autos, top quality, perfect reproduction, good to deal with. I think $395 a pair that goes from firewall to top of rear axle.
EMS just have a realy raw pressing that is a lot shorter.
kustoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:29 AM   #5
Tom Morookian

Bracing! Bracing! Bracing! You need to be real sure to cross brace the A and B columns both fore/aft and left right. Even a small error will make it hard to get the doors to fit and close correctly. I had "no bottom" on my 36 coupe and "guessed" at the location of the B column. Those columns where missing the bottom 3 inches and there was no floor to help locate it. Trust me, I guessed WRONG! It took a PortaPower to stretch the opening and my quarter panel patches don't line up with the bottom of the door very well.

If your doors line up OK then you can't do too much bracing. There's no such thing as overdoing it.
Tom Morookian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:26 PM   #6
ems customer service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Morookian View Post
Bracing! Bracing! Bracing! You need to be real sure to cross brace the A and B columns both fore/aft and left right. Even a small error will make it hard to get the doors to fit and close correctly. I had "no bottom" on my 36 coupe and "guessed" at the location of the B column. Those columns where missing the bottom 3 inches and there was no floor to help locate it. Trust me, I guessed WRONG! It took a PortaPower to stretch the opening and my quarter panel patches don't line up with the bottom of the door very well.

If your doors line up OK then you can't do too much bracing. There's no such thing as overdoing it.
very good advice, another barner said ems had raw and short rockers,

our rocker go from door post to door post, yes there is a part of the rocker that extends past the rear door post to the axle, this is basically a 90deg flat angle, do you really want to buy flat metal from us??? with industrial labor rates i do not think so, there is always some trimming and grinding and welding, do you really need the edge your going to weld to look pretty before you weld it, no! it adds to cost raising price on a rather difficult piece to make.

the ems guy
ems customer service is offline   Reply With Quote