Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-20-2019, 08:44 PM   #1
Roxo

Default Any good aftermarket headlights ???

My headlights are all original as I can tell. My reflectors are bad and so are the outer rings. I want a good driving daily driver, so I want good headlights. I purchased the Quartz adapter kit from Snyders.
https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/q...apter-kit-1536

First thing I noticed is there is no way to adjust the headlights. I have not installed them yet because of that reason.
Anyone have any suggestions on a good setup, or will replacing the reflector and rings be good enough? This is my first model A so I can really use the advice from the old wise men of the Barn.
Roxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:09 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Any good aftermarket headlights ???

Correctly shaped reflectors from Brattons (and I think others) will fix your problems,

https://www.facebook.com/markmaron/v...1251017710554/
Old 02-20-2019, 10:51 PM   #3
Roxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Correctly shaped reflectors from Brattons (and I think others) will fix your problems,

https://www.facebook.com/markmaron/v...1251017710554/
Thanks mike
I was considering them until I came across the quartz headlight kit. I should have went that route.
Thanks for reminding me who had them. Now got got to send this junk back.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:09 AM   #4
Roxo

Is anyone using the Quartz Halogen headlight kit? If so how do they work for you. I don't see how the beam can be adjusted. I can't believe they don't need to be adjusted.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:09 AM   #5
wmws
BANNED

You might consider the Bratton's reflectors and the new LED bulbs from Logo Lights. Brattons and Snyders and others sell them. They are getting good reports and the great thing is they use very little juice.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:11 AM   #6
Badpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxo View Post
Is anyone using the Quartz Halogen headlight kit? If so how do they work for you. I don't see how the beam can be adjusted. I can't believe they don't need to be adjusted.
Nearly all cars since the mid-30's have "fixed-focus" headlamps, and have no manual adjustment for focus, only for beam alignment. The beam distance (focus) is built-in. Apparently your kit is designed this way.
Badpuppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:54 PM   #7
Roxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badpuppy View Post
Nearly all cars since the mid-30's have "fixed-focus" headlamps, and have no manual adjustment for focus, only for beam alignment. The beam distance (focus) is built-in. Apparently your kit is designed this way.
I don't see how you can adjust the beam. It is fixed, just put the bulb into the reflector and install the reflector and ring. The screw in the back of the headlight becomes obsolete. No way to adjust beam up or down.

I hate to install them and find out I'm correct and then not able to return them. You have to install there three wire connector. I'm not sure the LED's come with a three spade plug to replace the Halogen bulb either.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:59 PM   #8
Roxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmws View Post
You might consider the Bratton's reflectors and the new LED bulbs from Logo Lights. Brattons and Snyders and others sell them. They are getting good reports and the great thing is they use very little juice.
I'm strongly considering the Brattons re-tooled headlamp reflectors and the LED's. I'm also following the Thread on the LED lamps.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:27 PM   #9
CarlG

I have been using the Quartz Halogen reflectors & bulbs (9007) for 5+ years. And, no, there is no focus adjustment, just headlight aim as in your modern cars. I have had no problem at all with the Quartz Halogen set up. I have, however just changed out the bulbs in favor of LEDs. That was pretty much a "plug & play" exercise. Time will tell if they work as well as advertised. I mainly did the change to decrease the current draw since state law requires headlights on at all times on state highways. They certainly do cast a brighter and whiter beam than the Quartz Halogen bulbs did.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 03:37 PM   #10
wensum

I know there is some reaction to Vintique products, but if you're after a simple answer, the Vintique headlights look authentic and come with Halogen bulbs installed.
I have had them on my speedster for a few years and although one cannot adjust the focus and one or two details are a bit dubious, they have proven adequate.
wensum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 03:59 PM   #11
nhusa

Did I miss something?

Although you can't adjust the position of the bulb in the reflector, I thought you could aim the headlamps up/down & left/right by loosening the big nut at the bottom.
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:17 PM   #12
Oldbluoval

There is minimal adjustments/focus with the screw w in the back of the can
Moves bulb and holder in and out a bit

Last edited by Oldbluoval; 02-22-2019 at 06:30 AM.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:26 PM   #13
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I am using direct replacement 6volt LEDs in my A and Ts. I see no need to ever use halogen/quartz type bulbs.

On my A, I am using Bratton's reflectors. This set-up allows you to have as many lumens as Quartz/Halogen yet still use a 6v generator without any overheating or overcharging issues. Because each bulb uses less than 2 amps on high-beam, a total draw for the entire 6v electrical system is under 10 amps excluding when the horn is being used.

The only 2 things that I did not, -or do not care for is the light output looks odd as the original light bulbs put off a yellow-ish glow whereas these are pure white. Most people are used to that look so they don't really know any difference between what they originally looked like and with the conversion. The other is when looking thru the lens at close range, the LED bulb looks very modern compared to the old round filament bulbs.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:26 PM   #14
30 Closed Cab PU

LED - Just for discussion sake, how about putting an appropriate filter in the housing? Or would that cut down on the intensity/brightness too much, or mess up the focus/pattern? Or some other reason?
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:34 PM   #15
Roxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhusa View Post
Did I miss something?

Although you can't adjust the position of the bulb in the reflector, I thought you could aim the headlamps up/down & left/right by loosening the big nut at the bottom.
I know that works for left or right adjustment. I will have to check and see if it works for up and down adjustments, i have not tried that.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:03 AM   #16
Roxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
I have been using the Quartz Halogen reflectors & bulbs (9007) for 5+ years. And, no, there is no focus adjustment, just headlight aim as in your modern cars. I have had no problem at all with the Quartz Halogen set up. I have, however just changed out the bulbs in favor of LEDs. That was pretty much a "plug & play" exercise. Time will tell if they work as well as advertised. I mainly did the change to decrease the current draw since state law requires headlights on at all times on state highways. They certainly do cast a brighter and whiter beam than the Quartz Halogen bulbs did.
Thanks CarlG
Do you have the bulb info in case I decide to install this Halogen set and later decide to go to the LED's. I have not seen the LED's with the three spade hookup to replace the halogen bulbs.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:52 AM   #17
Badpuppy

Roxo, you didn't mention the year of your car - if you have the earlier H-type lamps (1928-E29) the easiest option would be to use the halogen set you have. To equip these lamps with the led bulbs and Bratton reflectors it would be necessary to splice a Twolite (29-31) lamp socket to the existing 1/2" conduit socket. Unless, as CarlG suggests, there is an led swap for your (9007?) halogen bulbs.

Another point to consider for 30-31 buckets - I have read there is inadequate clearance behind the connector, requiring the halogen bulb tabs to be bent outward and the connector replaced with individual spade terminals.

Last edited by Badpuppy; 02-22-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:14 PM   #18
Roxo

Quote:
Roxo, you didn't mention the year of your car - if you have the earlier H-type lamps (1928-E29) the easiest option would be to use the halogen set you have. To equip these lamps with the led bulbs and Bratton reflectors it would be necessary to splice a Twolite (29-31) lamp socket to the existing 1/2" conduit socket. Unless, as CarlG suggests, there is an led swap for your (9007?) halogen bulbs.

Another point to consider for 30-31 buckets - I have read there is inadequate clearance behind the connector, requiring the halogen bulb tabs to be bent outward and the connector replaced with individual spade terminals.
I have a 1930 pickup, I think it started out as a pickup who really knows. It has a wood cab and bed. Block number is from february 1930. Also has attachments for snow equipment. Front radiator i think is from a 1931. It could just be a mutt LOL!

I did install the Halogen kit to one side this morning and it fit just fine with plenty of clearance for the connector. I'm not sure the headlights are from a 1930 as this is my first Model A. I have learned a lot and I have a lot more to learn.
I learn a lot from this form and appreciate the help and advice from everyone on here. It sure makes things easier on us new guys.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:19 PM   #19
CarlG

Quote:
Thanks CarlG
Do you have the bulb info in case I decide to install this Halogen set and later decide to go to the LED's. I have not seen the LED's with the three spade hookup to replace the halogen bulbs.
From JDMastar.com 626-330-0711
Part # 8th-9007
Description: 8TH Gen. 9007 LED Headlight Conversion Kits | Set of 2 W/O Decoder
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 02-23-2019, 01:20 PM   #20
Badpuppy

Quote:
From JDMastar.com 626-330-0711
Part # 8th-9007
Description: 8TH Gen. 9007 LED Headlight Conversion Kits | Set of 2 W/O Decoder
I like the way those units are built, but they are 12V only, and the connectors won't fit the 3-tab connectors in the Snyder's kit.

Headlight ID - 28-29: acorn shape, painted or plated steel; 30-31: hemispherical, stainless steel.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:12 PM   #21
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
I have a 1930 pickup, I think it started out as a pickup who really knows. It has a wood cab and bed. Block number is from february 1930. Also has attachments for snow equipment. Front radiator i think is from a 1931. It could just be a mutt LOL!

I did install the Halogen kit to one side this morning and it fit just fine with plenty of clearance for the connector. I'm not sure the headlights are from a 1930 as this is my first Model A. I have learned a lot and I have a lot more to learn.
I learn a lot from this form and appreciate the help and advice from everyone on here. It sure makes things easier on us new guys.

Your A sounds interesting. How about posting a couple of pictures, either here or in your profile?
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:18 PM   #22
CarlG

Quote:
I like the way those units are built, but they are 12V only, and the connectors won't fit the 3-tab connectors in the Snyder's kit.

Headlight ID - 28-29: acorn shape, painted or plated steel; 30-31: hemispherical, stainless steel.
If you are referring to the little round plug shown in the first picture, that's not what plugs into your car. It's in the 3rd picture and it is the mating connector to the Snyder's kit.

If you want to retain your original set-up, Logolites has an LED bulb that replaces the original Model A bulb. And they will work on 6 or 12 volts, positive or negative ground.

http://www.logolites.com/products/le...fn7kU9gSxwYuoc
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 02-24-2019, 11:21 AM   #23
Badpuppy

Quote:
If you are referring to the little round plug shown in the first picture, that's not what plugs into your car. It's in the 3rd picture and it is the mating connector to the Snyder's kit.
Thanks for clearing that up, Carl. Hard to picture everything without seeing it in-hand.