Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-15-2017, 12:05 PM   #1
DHZIEMAN

Smile Motometer Radiator cap for 1930 Model A

My current swan pot metal cap has basically disintegrated. In looking around, it appears any and all of the aftermarket caps, other than the twist-on's with no Temperature indication, are all in need of being ground down to fit. I venture that is what was done to the cap on my radiator. Yet grinding pot metal (whatever you want to call it) kind of defeats the purpose of the Chrome coating! And that is the exact place it broke down.
Anyway, what I am after, has anyone just bought the motometer of choice, taken a regular twist-on cap, and modified it to use with a motometer. Let me know! If no one has done it, that is not going to stop me! Just looking for suggestions and knowledge sharing!
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:30 PM   #2
Y-Blockhead

Default Re: Motometer Radiator cap for 1930 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHZIEMAN View Post
My current swan pot metal cap has basically disintegrated. In looking around, it appears any and all of the aftermarket caps, other than the twist-on's with no Temperature indication, are all in need of being ground down to fit. I venture that is what was done to the cap on my radiator. Yet grinding pot metal (whatever you want to call it) kind of defeats the purpose of the Chrome coating! And that is the exact place it broke down.
Anyway, what I am after, has anyone just bought the motometer of choice, taken a regular twist-on cap, and modified it to use with a motometer. Let me know! If no one has done it, that is not going to stop me! Just looking for suggestions and knowledge sharing!
It appears most aftermarket "locking caps" available today from the vendors is made by, who else, Vintique... pure junk.

My cap is slowly disintegrating also. I have thought about using a regular cap with my motometer, but have not pursued it as of yet.

I am even contemplating just doing away with the motometer altogether and just using a plain cap since i can't see that far to read it anyway. I do like the looks of the motometer or quail tho.

Keep us informed how it works out.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 08-15-2017 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Spellin'
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:17 PM   #3
29spcoupe

I couldn't use the quail due to my hood hitting the tail every time I opened the hood. I drilled a hole in the threaded '29 cap and put the motor meter on the cap. Looks good and I can tell the temp. Just be sure to center the hole. John
29spcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:29 PM   #4
DHZIEMAN

TA DA! After looking and looking, any cap sold that has a thermometer in it for a 1930 Model A seems to be Pot Metal!!!! After much consternation, and some thought, I purchased the cheapest stainless steel cap to fit a 1930 Model A, then purchased a mini motor meter from Macs, I center punched the rivet on the inside of the radiator cap and kept increasing from 1/8 up to 9/16th drill bits to drill a center hole in the cap. I got out the part that holds the cap to the radiator, set it aside, along with the gaskets and brass center plate and started working on getting the hole in the SS radiator cap to be 9/16 without burrs. I then Drilled out the part that holds the radiator cap to the radiator and did the same thing. (9/16ths with no burrs). The tricky part of all this is U really need a drill press and need to really hold on to keep drilling centered on the cap and the cap hold down. If that can be accomplished the rest of the effort is assembly and clocking the motor meter to be properly aligned when the cap is tightened is simply aggravating but once done and the brass nut on the motor meter is tightened and the cap with motor- meter installed, you have two metals that may interact BUT, they are not pot metal and are not going to corrode so bad that eventually crap falls in the radiator. The only part compatibility issue that I can think of might occur, is I have an aftermarket radiator. not sure if the neck on originals is high enough to allow the cap to clear the shroud. If anyone wants more info or pictures, I would be happy to furnish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motor meter.jpg (52.9 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by DHZIEMAN; 11-13-2017 at 10:59 AM. Reason: add info
Old 11-02-2017, 03:00 PM   #5
BillCNC

I have the Wings Motometer setup on my 31 Tudor and for the life of me, every gasket I put under it, ... for some reason it isn't thick enough and doesn't completely seal.

Regards
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:54 PM   #6
duke36

Attached is the s.s..cap found on ebay, drilled for a mascot. This particular cap with
the rounded tabs fits the new Brassworks '30 necks though tightly with some vaseline on the gasket. Follow post 4 to install a motometer , etc. and use some semi perm. locktite if desired where needed on threads
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:20 AM   #7
DHZIEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29spcoupe View Post
I couldn't use the quail due to my hood hitting the tail every time I opened the hood. I drilled a hole in the threaded '29 cap and put the motor meter on the cap. Looks good and I can tell the temp. Just be sure to center the hole. John
I got it done! Read my TA DA message! Works perfectly!