Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-27-2017, 03:34 PM   #1
CB919ER

Default dropping/cleaning the oil pan

another newbie questions. (I do appreciate all the advice and patience you guys have with me)

My A has been sitting for a little over 20 years. When my grandpa restored it I'm certain he used a non-detergent oil in the car. I'm certain there is probably sludge build up in the oil pan from sitting all this time. I've gotten mixed information as to how to clean this out. I've heard drop the pan, remove the baffle and scrap out the old sludge. I've also heard people say add MMO to the oil and run it a little and it will clean itself out and to only drop the pan if I absolutely have to.

What is the general opinion of the barn?
CB919ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:43 PM   #2
SeaSlugs

Default Re: dropping/cleaning the oil pan

Drop the pan, pop out the baffle, clean both till you can eat off them, hold baffle to sunlight and you should NOT see any pin holes or pitting in the dipper tray area. if you do replace it or fix it right.

If alot of sludge is found open the valve chamber and clean out everything in there and might consider removing the crank and thoughoughly flushing out the drain oiler holes.

If little to no sludge is found, clean it anyways then replace with cheap multi weight detergent oil and MMO. Run it but i wouldnt lug it or drive it just run it and let it circulate. The oil will turn black pretty quick then drain and repeat till the oil looks and stays looking like oil for awhile.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:45 PM   #3
Farrell In Vancouver

Did your Grandpa get to drive it much? He may have not, and the old (although must be changed due to acidity) be be flush-able. Remove the oil filler tube and stick the end of a clean stick into the pan til it bottoms. Pull it up and see what you find. If it still fairly fluid like you may get away with draining it out and flushing it with four quarts of kerosene or diesel. Then add new oil and by enough to do a second change after she's run around a bit.
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:49 PM   #4
H. L. Chauvin

Hi CB,

Humble opinion:

1. This one is a joke: " I've also heard people say add MMO to the oil and run it a little and it will clean itself out and to only drop the pan if I absolutely have to."

2. This one is better but not complete: " I've heard drop the pan, remove the baffle and scrap out the old sludge."

3. In addition, as a bare minimum, remove valve cover & oil pump, and clean both.

4. Lots more to be checked, but lots depends on what you find with what you have.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:51 PM   #5
Chuck Sea/Tac

Two months ago a same scenario. A guy changed the oil in grandpas coupe, and the detergent oil loosened things up . Knocks from plugged bearing feed lines and lots of smoking . Tore it apart, and some of the rings were stuck and the expanders behind broken. Also the Babbitt was on its last legs. Yes his engine was wore out, but a clean out or sticking with nondetergent oil would have kept it running for an ice cream getter, like he wants. Question is---- are you a gambler, or do you want to do it right. Spend a little money and time up front, or chance ruining your engine, and a costly rebuild?
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:32 PM   #6
Patrick L.

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
A little more history on the engine would help.
But, taking the effort to drop the pan I'm of the opinion that the bearing clearances/condition should be checked/adjusted.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:23 PM   #7
WHN

I use HD oil and still drop the oil pan and clean every five or six years.

No oil filter, almost 90 years old, not a big job, you can clean oil pump screen, and you get to check things out.

We use 20-50w oil, works for us.

If it's running well, without knocks or a lot of other noise. Clean it up and run it.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:00 AM   #8
CB919ER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrell In Vancouver View Post
Did your Grandpa get to drive it much? He may have not, and the old (although must be changed due to acidity) be be flush-able. Remove the oil filler tube and stick the end of a clean stick into the pan til it bottoms. Pull it up and see what you find. If it still fairly fluid like you may get away with draining it out and flushing it with four quarts of kerosene or diesel. Then add new oil and by enough to do a second change after she's run around a bit.
He first restored the car when I was 2-3 years old. (I have pictures of myself as a chubby toddler in the standing in the car) What I can remember growing up was going to rides when we'd visit up till I was about 10-12 years old. Shortly there after is when his health started to fail and he didn't drive it as much as he had a couple others that were easier on him to take out.

This sounds like a good idea. I have a feeling the oil will be changed at last twice this weekend. I'm really hoping to try and start the car tomorrow evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
A little more history on the engine would help.
Sadly I don't really have any more information. Once my Grandpa passed my grandmother wouldn't let me work on his cars because my uncle told her not to let me touch them. For some reason he didn't like me very much, but that's another story.
CB919ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:44 AM   #9
Big hammer

If you drop the oil pan, the oil pump may fall out, there's a plug in the right side of the engine block when removed you can install a tool made to hold the pump in place.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:52 AM   #10
iverson

On our 28 I was woried a big clump of sludge would get loose and plug the oil pump turned out Ours was pretty clean just a thin coating of sludge to wipe out but now the oil is staying clean. It's not a hard job and you can check a lot. I just put grease on old gasket no leaks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2088.jpg (114.7 KB, 65 views)
iverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:24 PM   #11
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB919ER View Post
He first restored the car when I was 2-3 years old. (I have pictures of myself as a chubby toddler in the standing in the car) What I can remember growing up was going to rides when we'd visit up till I was about 10-12 years old. Shortly there after is when his health started to fail and he didn't drive it as much as he had a couple others that were easier on him to take out.

This sounds like a good idea. I have a feeling the oil will be changed at last twice this weekend. I'm really hoping to try and start the car tomorrow evening.

Sadly I don't really have any more information. Once my Grandpa passed my grandmother wouldn't let me work on his cars because my uncle told her not to let me touch them. For some reason he didn't like me very much, but that's another story.

I understand, that STUFF happens.
If you can't pull out any crud [ technical term] by poking around and the valve chamber is clean, then, dropping the pan may not be needed. But, checking everything for peace of mind is certainly worth it. At least then you know where you stand.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:40 PM   #12
mike657894

I had a bout a shovel full of dirt in the gravely sludge. you should clean out the valve gallery while your at it. I had to poke at the sediment to get oil to flow out of the drain plug.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:46 PM   #13
mike657894

on the oil pump it will come out you should clean it its a very simple mechanical pump. hold it in with a wire wrapped to a exhaust stud when reinstalling the pan. wrapped in a way you can pull the wire out while the pan has some bolts in it.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:50 PM   #14
duke36

we took suggestions to drop the pan open end down about 18" or so on a level hard surface (cardboard on concrete or plywood, etc.) and the inner pan should pop out. Blow out the vertical baffle spot welded joints when cleaning. Also, we used the 4 plastic snap ups available from vendors to hold and guide the pan. A plastic headed hammer and drift also help to level out the pan mating flanges if bent from overtightening.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:21 PM   #15
burner31

Drop the pan and clean it.
It's quick and easy, don't fear working on these honeys, if a farmer in the 30s can do it so can you.
Besides, gives you a chance to look up inside, check the cylinder walls.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote