Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-30-2014, 11:19 AM   #1
tennsmith

Question Distributor housing casting differences

My apologies if this topic has been previously covered. I see two different styles of distributor housings for the A. One has the individual ears for the cap clips and another has a web across the top of the ears for additional strength and the clips are curved where they attach to the housing to allow clearance for the web. Were both of these styles original Ford items, or is one of them an after-market replacement?

TIA
tennsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:29 AM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: Distributor housing casting differences

From what has been posted here on the subject, I get the impression they came out in late 31 and were then used as Ford made replacements there after.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:42 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennsmith View Post
My apologies if this topic has been previously covered. I see two different styles of distributor housings for the A. One has the individual ears for the cap clips and another has a web across the top of the ears for additional strength and the clips are curved where they attach to the housing to allow clearance for the web. Were both of these styles original Ford items, or is one of them an after-market replacement?

TIA
Actually there were about 4 or 5 different housings that were used. The "bridged unit" (the one with the web across the top of the ears) that you are referencing was an original Ford item that was also used in production for 1931 --however not all 1931 engines used this distributor base.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:41 PM   #4
160B

RG&JS Area 2 Electrical System page 2-11 Revised 2011

Distributor bases, side view. Left to right-

1) base with round indent above ignition cable hole and square notches for upper plate (used from the beginning of production through March 1928).

2) base with round indent above ignition cable hole and round notches for upper plate (used from April 1928 through mid 1928).

3) base with no indent and round notches for upper plate (used from mid 1928 through the end of production).

4) base with no indent, round notches for upper plate and the bale ears are bridged (used an alternate design from January 1931 through the end of production).

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote