Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-14-2014, 08:53 AM   #1
tennsmith

Default Seat Adjustment Mechanism--'36 Ford

I have an original '36 Ford seat out of a 5W coupe and have discovered, recently, that the passenger side adjustment mechanism is NOT the same as the driver's side. Interface-wise, it matches the holes in the floorboard, it matches the holes in the seat pan, the general configuration and height are the same, but the adjustment provision itself is different (not from a '36) and I'm wondering what I have. Whereas the locking pawl on the driver's side is a stamped L shape piece of metal with a wire spring to hold it engaged, the passenger side has no provisions for the wire spring and the pawl (missing) appears to be a T shaped piece which perhaps employs a cylindrical spring on the outer side, held in place by a cotter key or some similar device to hold it engaged.

I figure the track must be from an earlier or later Ford, or perhaps a Lincoln. 3 pictures are attached, showing the place for the adjustment pawl, both sides, and an end view of the track. The end view is provided to show that the platform upon which the slider slides is actually a one piece T which is riveted to the base on both sides. The '36 platform is formed by bending the top of the base in one direction, then riveting an L shaped piece to it to form a similar T shape. If anyone has one of these and can provide a photo of the locking pawl, I'd certainly appreciate it......maybe I can make one.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG2520.JPG (182.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG2521.JPG (165.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG2522.JPG (176.9 KB, 39 views)
tennsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:28 AM   #2
flatheadfan

Default Re: Seat Adjustment Mechanism--'36 Ford

tennsmith

Enclosed are some pictures of a '35-'36 coupe seat rails. The only difference I have found between the '35 and '36 is the length of the pull rods. The '36 has a long and a short, the '35 the rods are the same length.

Basically, it may be "possible" to repair these things but your best option is to find a set of usable ones. They do appear occasionally on eBay.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1323.JPG (47.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1324.JPG (55.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1325.JPG (64.6 KB, 26 views)
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:00 AM   #3
Terry,OH

There appear to be a couple of different suppliers of the seat tracks for the same years but different model car and they do vary slightly. Some move on ball bearings and some on rollers. Some as Toms above have a spring attached over the locking bar others have a slightly bent round wire type spring attached to the Mech and the lock bar. The 38 Ford Hardware books have photos of some of the locking bars and springs.

Last edited by Terry,OH; 09-15-2014 at 06:07 AM.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:17 PM   #4
tennsmith

The first of Tom's pictures appears to be the one that I have on the passenger side, although his picture appears to be the driver's side. The key is the coil spring on the outside as opposed to the wire type spring. I guess I have one from a '36, perhaps one from a 35 or something. Has to be close to the '36 because all the holes match in the floorpan and seat pan and the height is the same, although, as you say Terry, one of mine appears to be rollers whereas the other may be ball bearings. Thanks guys...
tennsmith is offline   Reply With Quote