Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-11-2018, 06:24 AM   #1
37coop

Default 39 coupe button to solinoid wire dead

Hi guys. I put an old solinoid with the button under to fire up the car from under the hood and used the solinoid button ,it turned over but wouldn't start ,I then disconnected the live from the battery messed about a bit the connected the live battery,as soon as the cable touched the battery the engine turned over and the positive battery terminal started to fry...I guessed the start button under the solinoid was stuck on . I replaced it with another old one without the button under and I pushed the starter button inside the car and nothing..dead,I tested the small wire to the solinoid when pushing the starter button and no live to the end connector ...I guess a fuse or whatever has blown when the battery live terminal started to melt ,I,v tried to squeeze between the seat to see what's going on but my aging bones and large frame made it difficult....what I,m asking is there a quick way to run a ( temporary maybe) wire from wherever to the solinoid that will go live when the starter button is pressed ,electrics are a science which Is not my thing .
On another note today is Armastice day ,a commemoration of 100 years to the day of the end of the First World War..11 hour of the 11 day of the 11 year 1911, I interrupted my post to watch the ceremony live from the Cenotaph in London ,millions Killed as we know,a tear in my eye , puts things into perspective, I wonder what our young soldiers who gave their lives all them years ago would think of our world today ...
37coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:40 AM   #2
34PKUP

Default Re: 39 coupe button to solinoid wire dead

First observation, trying to start the engine from under the hood won't work unless the ignition is turned on.
The wire from the push button to the solenoid is a grounding wire and not "live", all it should show is continuity.
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:50 AM   #3
big job

Hope I read this right; that small wire is not hot it is a ground when you push the inside
start button. Sometimes with a low battery solenoid will stick and cause cable smoke,
wack it with a hammer. Three things are a must= solenoid must have a good ground,
dash button housing must have a good ground lastly the button wire to solenoid must be
good = all this only apply's with 6vt pos ground systems. Must be solenoid month I
have the same problem= I have to wack it while a helper pushes the button, time for a
new Napa solenoid....sam
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:08 AM   #4
36rgtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by big job View Post
solenoid must have a good ground,
..sam

Really??
36rgtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:13 AM   #5
flatheadmurre

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36rgtop View Post
Really??
Solenoid winding is fed from the battery cable inside the solenoid and when the other end is grounded by the pushbutton itīs activated.
This is for a 3 post solenid.
So the solenoid housing donīt need to be grounded...itīs the pushbutton to dash thatīs the grounding point.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:18 AM   #6
richard crow

the small term on the sol should be live so when you ground it it closes the sol switch. you have to switch the cables on the sol . bobs your uncle
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:58 AM   #7
37coop

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37coop View Post
Hi guys. I put an old solinoid with the button under to fire up the car from under the hood and used the solinoid button ,it turned over but wouldn't start ,I then disconnected the live from the battery messed about a bit the connected the live battery,as soon as the cable touched the battery the engine turned over and the positive battery terminal started to fry...I guessed the start button under the solinoid was stuck on . I replaced it with another old one without the button under and I pushed the starter button inside the car and nothing..dead,I tested the small wire to the solinoid when pushing the starter button and no live to the end connector ...I guess a fuse or whatever has blown when the battery live terminal started to melt ,I,v tried to squeeze between the seat to see what's going on but my aging bones and large frame made it difficult....what I,m asking is there a quick way to run a ( temporary maybe) wire from wherever to the solinoid that will go live when the starter button is pressed ,electrics are a science which Is not my thing .
On another note today is Armastice day ,a commemoration of 100 years to the day of the end of the First World War..11 hour of the 11 day of the 11 year 1911, I interrupted my post to watch the ceremony live from the Cenotaph in London ,millions Killed as we know,a tear in my eye , puts things into perspective, I wonder what our young soldiers who gave their lives all them years ago would think of our world today ...
Should of course have read 11 month not year 1918
Old 11-11-2018, 09:00 AM   #8
37coop

Ok guys ,thanks,gonna have a complete rethink on that .
Old 11-11-2018, 09:07 AM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Also, there are no fuses involved. The only fuse on these cars/trucks is for the lighting circuits.

Edit: All of these diagrams are for an original 6v car. The 6v solenoid will work with 12v negative ground battery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Starter Sol Diagram.jpg (5.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Starter Test.jpg (48.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 39 Ford Wiring 2.jpg (57.9 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 11-11-2018 at 09:34 AM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:08 AM   #10
Cecil/WV

Don't know how you are going to figure this out. Some correct advice and some false. Good luck!
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:10 AM   #11
37coop

It's a 6 volt solinoid on a 12 volt system ( I,v ordered a 12 volt solinoid) the one with the button under which I,v taken off was also 6 volt and the engine turned from the dash button no problem and the replacement I,m trying works with jumping a cable from batt live to the small wire ( which is apparently an earth wire) I,m confused.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:21 AM   #12
JSeery
Member Emeritus

It is going to depend on the solenoid you are using, most 12v solenoids require a "hot" lead to the starter terminal. This in turn requires a different starter pushbutton with two terminals one of which is connected to a "hot" source from the battery. It is confusing because you are mixing up parts between a 6v positive ground system with a 12v negative ground system. Need to figure out what each of the parts you have are and how they are wired up, there are various ways to go about this.

The fist diagram below is for a solenoid that uses a ground to activate and the second diagram is for a solenoid that uses a "hot" source to activate. If you are switching different styles of solenoids back and forth, they have to be wired up differently. With the first style you can jumper the starter terminal (2) to ground to test it, with the second style you can jumper a "hot" source to the starter terminal (2) to test it. If you have the battery connected to terminal (3), then a jumper from (3) to (2) on this style will energize it.

The 6v positive ground solenoid will work with a 12v negative ground battery installed and the #2 terminal would still use a ground to activate.

There are several different configurations of starter solenoids, so how they operate and are wired up is going to depend on which style you are using. With the first diagram type of solenoid the mounting surface does not need to be grounded, but with the second one the mount requires a good solid ground at the mounting surface.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Starter Sol Diagram.jpg (5.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Solenoid 1.jpg (50.7 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 11-11-2018 at 09:42 AM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:37 AM   #13
Bob C

You need to know how your solenoid is wired internally, you have 9 choices.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg solenoid wiring.jpg (258.7 KB, 17 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:54 AM   #14
37coop

Well thanks guys,I think I,v got the idea,I,ll get the 6 volt one working and when the 12 volt solenoid arrives I will decide whether or not to use it needing a new two wire starter button.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:38 PM   #15
flatheadmurre

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37coop View Post
Well thanks guys,I think I,v got the idea,I,ll get the 6 volt one working and when the 12 volt solenoid arrives I will decide whether or not to use it needing a new two wire starter button.
The std 12v solenoids are type 4 they could be wired to keep the original 1 wire starter button.
Just hook the battery post to one of the coil terminals and the other to the starter button.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:14 PM   #16
Bob C

This one is an isolated ground 12V three terminal same as the stock 6V.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...2?q=s601&pos=2

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote