Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-31-2023, 02:01 PM   #21
mfirth

Default Re: At least it has a ford engine in it !

I am a die hard Ford guy, but, IF.... I ever bought a GM it would be a Pontiac. It would have to be a flathead though ......
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 02:09 PM   #22
mcgarrett

So, back to the Ford engine...I remember reading that the first iteration of the small block Ford was a 221 cid V8. Did the first Sunbeam Tigers come with the 221 or 260 V8? Sick minds need to know!
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 02:29 PM   #23
DavidG

You're correct, The first was 221 CID, the second 255, the third 260, the fourth 289, the fifth 302, and finally 351. In my family, we had a least one car with of each over the years, but no Tigers.

Only the last-year 1967 Sunbeam Tiger was equipped with a 289, the 1964-66 versions were produced with the 260.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 04:28 PM   #24
CHuDWah

Nice car. A buddy had one in high school - good guy but he was a little crazy and always drove it flat out. He took me for a ride once - there was an almost 90 degree curve that went around a cemetery. He said, "If I don't make this curve, we're going to be in that graveyard." We made it but that was the last time I'd ride with him.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 06:15 PM   #25
scicala

What always amazed me is that the 260 V8 was never offered with a 4 barrel carbuetor in any car, including Falcon Sprint, Comet or Sunbeam Tiger. Any you see with a 4 barrel, would have been added later.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 06:17 PM   #26
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
You're correct, The first was 221 CID, the second 255, the third 260, the fourth 289, the fifth 302, and finally 351. In my family, we had a least one car with of each over the years, but no Tigers.

Only the last-year 1967 Sunbeam Tiger was equipped with a 289, the 1964-66 versions were produced with the 260.
I thought the 255 came out later, in the emissions years.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 06:22 PM   #27
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam/Mill Valley CA View Post
Congrats! Great cars, is it a 260 or 289? The 289 is really a wonderful motor, we have one in our '65 Mustang. Nice that Tigers have the smaller tail fins of the later Alpine bodies

Adam
Its the 260 . Only the Mark 2 at the end had the 289 (and Chrysler by that stage owned Sunbeam and could not live with a ford engine in one of their products and stopped production rapidly) The engine is by report tired I've yet to pick up the car -It may well end up with a 289 with the original 260 in the corner of the shed in case the car is ever sold -Karl
Old 01-31-2023, 08:44 PM   #28
1952henry

That is true, Sal.
Old 01-31-2023, 09:44 PM   #29
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgarrett View Post
So, back to the Ford engine...I remember reading that the first iteration of the small block Ford was a 221 cid V8. Did the first Sunbeam Tigers come with the 221 or 260 V8? Sick minds need to know!

260 as far as I know and then 289. Tiger was canned as it was embarrassing for Chrysler after they took over Rootes Group who manufactured Hillman, Humber, Singer and Sunbeam in the UK...so the story goes.

Remember this?...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ6gdRfBW6c

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:54 PM   #30
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Its the 260 . Only the Mark 2 at the end had the 289 (and Chrysler by that stage owned Sunbeam and could not live with a ford engine in one of their products and stopped production rapidly) The engine is by report tired I've yet to pick up the car -It may well end up with a 289 with the original 260 in the corner of the shed in case the car is ever sold -Karl
Karl its got the correct 260 dizzy on it too as you can see the little oil wick on it.
There is an active Alpine/Tiger car club here. An old retired cop I knew here in the Hutt, Brian Atkins was president for years and had a couple one at least was a Tiger it was red. Not sure if Brian is still alive though..he was considered an "authority" on these things.

GB

Old 01-31-2023, 11:09 PM   #31
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme / New Zealand View Post
Karl its got the correct 260 dizzy on it too as you can see the little oil wick on it.
There is an active Alpine/Tiger car club here. An old retired cop I knew here in the Hutt, Brian Atkins was president for years and had a couple one at least was a Tiger it was red. Not sure if Brian is still alive though..he was considered an "authority" on these things.

GB
Graeme I think he has passed on - certainly his Tiger was sold a few years ago. The originality is the thing I like about it most -I'm probably mad but on reflection if we have to put a new engine in it it will be the original 260 rebuilt -Karl
Old 01-31-2023, 11:12 PM   #32
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme / New Zealand View Post
260 as far as I know and then 289. Tiger was canned as it was embarrassing for Chrysler after they took over Rootes Group who manufactured Hillman, Humber, Singer and Sunbeam in the UK...so the story goes.

Remember this?...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ6gdRfBW6c

GB
Graeme Don Adams was in hospital in Wellington during the Second World War when he was in the Marines . Also the Tiger in the clip is now in New Zealand and is owned by Barry Hoffman in Dannevirke of all places ! They also used a Series 4 Sunbeam Alpine in the produciton to masqerade as the Tiger - As there was no room to fit the cannon that popped out of the hood in the Tiger -Karl

Last edited by Karl; 01-31-2023 at 11:19 PM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 10:52 AM   #33
rotorwrench

The 221 was a very short production run engine (just 2-years). Cars were initially offered with them but by mid 62, the production was almost entirely the new 260. My Pop bought a 1962 Mercury Meteor and it had the 260 V8. The 221 was still offered but most dealers ordered the new 260 after they came to be available.

The 255 production was in the same boat as the 221 only several decades later. It was a stop gap till a new V6 could take its place for 1982. It's run was for the 1980 & 81 production years.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 02-01-2023 at 10:58 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 08:37 PM   #34
Zeke3

And then there is the Griffith 200. I remember seeing one back in the mid sixties. I always thought they looked cool. If you want a British sports car with a hardtop and a small block Ford V-8, this may be the one for you.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/art...0Grantura%20Mk.

Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 09:05 PM   #35
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Graeme Don Adams was in hospital in Wellington during the Second World War when he was in the Marines . Also the Tiger in the clip is now in New Zealand and is owned by Barry Hoffman in Dannevirke of all places ! They also used a Series 4 Sunbeam Alpine in the produciton to masqerade as the Tiger - As there was no room to fit the cannon that popped out of the hood in the Tiger -Karl
Karl come to think of it I did see Brian Atkins name on the "Memorial Wall' in the Police Association news letter a while back. If his car is sold that will be the case. Yes I remember reading about Don Adams being in hospital here during the war. I recall the very last series he did he drove a Porsche up to the "Control HQ." Nice car by the way and I love the blue colour.

GB

Old 02-01-2023, 09:23 PM   #36
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The 221 was a very short production run engine (just 2-years). Cars were initially offered with them but by mid 62, the production was almost entirely the new 260. My Pop bought a 1962 Mercury Meteor and it had the 260 V8. The 221 was still offered but most dealers ordered the new 260 after they came to be available.

The 255 production was in the same boat as the 221 only several decades later. It was a stop gap till a new V6 could take its place for 1982. It's run was for the 1980 & 81 production years.
We had Canadian sourced Fordor Ford Fairlanes assembled here in NZ from the 50s to about 1965 (then we got Aust versions). With the arrival of the Ford Compact in 1962 we got the 221ci. For 63 and 64 it was the 260 and 65 289. Most of these that have survived have had 289's or 302's transplanted so an original 62 with a 221 here is a very rare beast indeed. I have seen the odd one.

GB

Old 02-02-2023, 03:28 PM   #37
rockfla

Quote:
Just about to purchase my dream car ( apart from my 34)
I've lusted after one of these (Sunbeam Tiger) since I brought my Sunbeam Alpine (same body shell but much less go ) as a fresh faced 19 year old . Is fitted with a slightly tired but original 260 Ford V8 which I will rebuild Karl

Karl
One of my "bucket list" auto's as well. I always found the "Tiger" to be quite an interesting auto in the fact that here in the USA, it was made by Sunbeam, Sold by Chrysler and powered by Ford. Quite a Duke's mixture!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 06:41 PM   #38
acchaplin

There was a guy here in Morgantown West "By God" (passed a couple of years ago) that had several of those Sunbeam cars and trucks. Alpines and Tigers, and a lot of the rare extras, options and parts! Had access to the production #'s and figures, was quite an authority and very knowlegeable about them!
He owned and restored the pink Tiger that was given to the Playmate Of The Year in '67.
His daily driver was a red Tiger that had (of all things) a Contenital Kit!
Don't forget the Tiger that Don Adams drove in the "Get Smart" TV series!
Chrysler Dealers sold those Tigers.
acchaplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 10:59 AM   #39
rotorwrench

I like the 1936 Jensen myself.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 01:41 PM   #40
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
Big question is, "Do you still have it?" I still have my '60's car.
PeteVS, no, unfortunately, I let that '65 GTO slip out of my hands in '70, when I purchased a '70 GTO. That was a mistake on my part, since the '70 was never the runner or fun to drive car that the '65 was.
Apparently, I violated your great moto of "Don't never get rid of nuthin"

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote