Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-16-2022, 02:38 PM   #1
rgtharley

Default Howell's Sheet metal

Anyone out there who has successfully use Howell's Sheet Metal for T parts?
I can't get them to return my emails or calls, after leaving at least four messages. Trying to buy the rear body panel for my 27 Touring. I'm getting very frustrated with trying to contact them.
rgtharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 04:31 PM   #2
OldGold360

Default Re: Howell's Sheet metal

I've had the same problem with Howells. I tried leaving VM and email, but never got any response to either. Not sure why... Good luck!
OldGold360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 04:44 PM   #3
J Franklin

Is Rootlieb still doing sheet metal?
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 05:07 PM   #4
WRA

Simple Google search will tell you that they are notoriously bad. It’s across the Vintage car hobby. Ive personally had problems with some 34 Ford parts, took almost a year to get my order and quality was horrendous and not even close to fitting. I heard their EBay sales are more reliable, but I will never order anything from them ever again.
WRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 10:05 PM   #5
Utopia Texas

I started hearing complaints about Howells before the Internet from club members back in 1988.
Utopia Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 07:58 PM   #6
mhsprecher

I ordered a trunk floor panel for my 24 coupe from them. Same deal, no communication. It did show up months later. I have not installed it, yet, but it is painted and ready to install, which I hope to do in the next month or so.

If there isn't much competition, then they can pretty much do as they please. I don't understand it, but their are either pretty contrary or they don't have the staff to follow up.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 02:07 PM   #7
rgtharley

Thanks for all the responses regarding these idiots. I tried one last time with an email, and phone calls, but I guess they don't do business that way. I have asked my body and fender guy to try and salvage the one rear body panel that I was trying to order, and the front fender I needed, turns out that Rootleib is the company that still makes them, and this is where Howells was going to get that from. I just canceled my order with Howells, and ordered direct from Rootleib. There is no good reason that a company with a web site that claims good service, and " a representative will be in touch with you shortly", or some other bullshit, will resort to lying to customers and saying they are working on the order, and the guy even told me it was shipping! Of course, I never heard back with a tracking number or anything. I would not recommend this company to anyone, and I hope someone else buys the company and runs it the way it should be run.

Last edited by rgtharley; 02-18-2022 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-18-2022, 06:27 PM   #8
redmodelt

Even if you did get a hold of them, and if they didn't have it in stock, you might have to wait for them to do a run of them when enough orders had come in.
Old 02-19-2022, 03:53 PM   #9
Flathead Dave

I have used Howell's for many years and have never had a problem until now. Same shit. No return calls or emails. Lucky for me, my credit card hasn't been charged.
Maybe they're waiting to charge it when they ship the item but then it'll be too late. I'll probably already have the needed part from another source.
I'm trying to buy the quarter and rear window wood trim for my 1927 T Coupe.

Last edited by Flathead Dave; 02-19-2022 at 04:00 PM.
Flathead Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 11:49 PM   #10
tmiller6

I bought the same panel for my touring from Smith and Jones. I used them because I assumed they did more business with Howell’s than I ever would. I got the panel in a few days and was happy.
tmiller6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 05:04 PM   #11
pj's junkers

Send a message via Yahoo to pj's junkers

buy only from them at a swap meet. you see what you get and right then
pj's junkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 12:24 PM   #12
rgtharley

Howell's update. Last week I received an email for a UPS tracking number, and to my complete surprise, it was my parts from Howell. The panel and and front seat pan showed up a couple of days later. I still don't get why they chose to do business this way, but I also had originally ordered a front fender from them, until the guy said they buy them from Rootleib. So i canceled with Howell's, and called Rootleib and ordered it. Last week they said it was shipping this past Friday, and so I call today, and the guy says, Oh, we will be making that this week. I asked why then was I told it was shipping last week, and he had no answer. There must be something in the air at these places. Kind of reminds me of a machine shop I used to work at. We had this big bingo wheel near the phone, and it had all these different excuses written on it, and when a customer called, and asked about the status of his work, we would spin the wheel, and tell them whatever wound up under the pointer. Some of them were,,, " The guy machining your parts is out sick today, or "We're cutting your parts right now", or my favorite, Your material is on back order". It was always good for a laugh among the employees, but, on the other hand, that shop is no longer in business.
Old 02-28-2022, 04:57 PM   #13
Chuck Kuntz

I never got anything that fit properly from Howell's
Chuck
Chuck Kuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 08:24 PM   #14
Flathead Dave

I got a response from Howell's today. I went to their ebay to contact them. If you're going to go this route, look for "09-40".
Old 03-01-2022, 12:08 AM   #15
Randy in ca

For sure, if Howell's is your only source, check their eBay listings to see if what you need is listed there. I've had good luck a couple of times this way and if there's a problem eBay has good buyer protection. Main problem is that eBay listings often won't have what you need.
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 11:01 AM   #16
William L. Vanderburg

Howell's is just a middle man, it would appear. I suspect they don't actually make anything, and if they do, it's minor. Fenders come from Rootleib, running boards come from Rootleib, splash aprons come from Rootleib. etc.

You getting the idea?
William L. Vanderburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 08:46 AM   #17
exoilfld

any recent news about Ryan? I have lost touch with him for 2 weeks now.
exoilfld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 08:29 PM   #18
janz22
BANNED

Hello buddy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
janz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 07:54 PM   #19
randot

I know this is an old thread, just wanted to add my experience with Howell's. They are not good. Ordered two window cranks, gave credit card info and never heard anything. I called back after a week and he said, "I saw them go the post office with a brown package, I imagine it was your window cranks, so it has to be on the way". I also do not recommend doing business with this outfit.
randot is offline   Reply With Quote