Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-21-2021, 05:24 PM   #1
Oldgearz

Default Product Review - HF Daytona (Jack) Cross Beam

In trying to find a quicker way to jack up my A, I bought a Harbor Freight cross beam that would lift with two pads about 35" apart instead of just one center saddle. The product is made well, lifts supports 2 ton, and is about $60. All of my old car floor jacks have the saddle with 1 3/16" hole. The cross beam I got did not include an old time, welded on standard saddle pin, but instead a vertical hole drilled through the cross-bar with a a separate bolt-like 7/8" pin that was threaded on one end. When inserted into the cross-bar the threaded end extends only about 3/8", not enough to sit in the saddle hole of a jack. I had to go to the farm store and buy a tractor hitch pin and fabricate the rest of the saddle stud via a black pipe bushing and welding. I don't know what HF was thinking on this one, but as sold the product cannot be used with the older orange HF saddle jacks.
Oldgearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 05:52 PM   #2
Oldbluoval

Default Re: Product Review - HF Daytona (Jack) Cross Beam

Typical of most HF stuff
I consider most anything I buy there to be “one and done”
I don’t trust their jacks or jack stands. I have them but always put solid hardwood timbers under anything I jack or support
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 06:42 PM   #3
Oldgearz

I agree. I use a jack just to lift....then quality jack stands and wood posts for insurance. I buy a lot of HF stuff....couldn't afford all the stuff I have otherwise. I review things and look at them in the store before I buy, but this cross beam was all packaged and neither the box picture or the product description mentioned the saddle pin. Frankly, I was surprised by the fact that this would not work out-of-box on their old jacks.
Oldgearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 06:21 AM   #4
Oldbluoval

It’s not limited to HF. I bought a brand name, battery-powered, fairly expensive weed eater from Lowe’s. Obviously an import but what isn’t! Took it home, box appeared untampered but was missing a significant part. Took it back and got another. But opened at the store.....same part missing. Opened another and all parts there
I lost about 2 hrs in the process
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote