Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-20-2021, 12:26 PM   #1
Newc

Default USPS strikes again destruction of packages

This one was soaking wet with 'TIRE TRACKS" on it. The buggy type tires! So first you try to flush it and then lay it in the isle and drive over it and maybe some 'buggy' burnouts on top of all that. See the shipper had the nerve to write 'fragile' on it. But the goods survived all that abuse Ha- Ha postal worker sadistists. Photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2036.JPG (134.0 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2037.JPG (140.5 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2038.JPG (167.3 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2039.JPG (149.3 KB, 204 views)
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 01:45 PM   #2
VeryTangled

Default Re: USPS strikes again destruction of packages

Hi Everyone. Newc it looks like it got crosswise and jacked up in a conveyor system and bashed by a few hundred packages behind it, to my one good eye.

I'd call that mess "caught in a tractor's nuts," but my buddy JM would say it looks like it was thrown in front of a snow plow! (A reference to a rifle that would never sight in correctly, hence it was better to see it go under a plow than continue to wrestle with it.)

Great end story that the contents weren't garbage! Good packing job by Justin C from Iowa.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 02:26 PM   #3
solidaxle

My neighbor is a recent retired postmaster. He has told me USPS package shipping is really screwing up the lately. It's too bad, I like the flat rate Priority boxes.

They lost a $600.00 intake and carb set up I purchased for over a month, luckily it finally showed up.
solidaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 02:41 PM   #4
Krylon32

I just shipped customer in Scotland USPS the Bruce Meyer book on deuces. It cost 45 to ship and took 3 weeks. It was only in a padded envelope and arrived safely. Over the years I've had about a 90% success rate shipping vintage auto parts USPS.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 03:24 PM   #5
flatford8

I haul bulk mail as a part time job. The increase in the amount of packages being shipped is crazy. But, they charge a fee for each one, each one should get delivered intact and reasonably on time.......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 03:36 PM   #6
19Fordy

I guess I missed something.
What was the contents of the bashed package?
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:58 PM   #7
Bored&Stroked

Looks to me like a couple kilos of . . . . just kidding! LOL
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 10:18 PM   #8
Newc

crab dist- two iron-2 aluminum All good fellows-well packed. newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 01:17 PM   #9
19Fordy

If it was packed packed in a box instead of a just a plastic wrap it may have survived without damage.
Old 08-21-2021, 02:38 PM   #10
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
If it was packed packed in a box instead of a just a plastic wrap it may have survived without damage.

Check picture 2 again... There's a standard-rate box. It was damaged. Later it was put in the bag by a facility in Oregon. Then it continued to it's destination. The contents survived.

When I have shipped car parts in those I reinforce the heck out of the boxes with more cardboard like is in a case of wine bottles, an extra flat cardboard floor and roof, and double-thick sidewalls.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 04:58 PM   #11
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
Check picture 2 again... There's a standard-rate box. It was damaged. Later it was put in the bag by a facility in Oregon. Then it continued to it's destination. The contents survived.

When I have shipped car parts in those I reinforce the heck out of the boxes with more cardboard like is in a case of wine bottles, an extra flat cardboard floor and roof, and double-thick sidewalls.
Looks like the system works, even under conditions that are not the best.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 07:50 PM   #12
Teltruck

Always had great service with the USPS! Stay safe!
Bob
Teltruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 04:36 AM   #13
fortyonerag

Having spent some 25 years in the postal service down under (before retiring), I can tell you that when you pack a parcel, assume it will be tossed quite a few metres at least.

Avoid packing it so that it will easily roll, otherwise it will roll out of the sorting equipment and may not be detected in the daily end of processing clear down.
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 07:13 AM   #14
AnthonyG

USPS is the worst! I automatically send a message to every vender complaining when anything more than an envelope is sent by USPS! This most recent package was hard to imagine even from them. This is exactly how it arrived, no BS!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2DEF2A57-158C-4769-A321-1697B3F9311C.jpg (35.6 KB, 61 views)
Old 08-24-2021, 07:56 AM   #15
3739ford

I'm currently watching with a lot of amusement a part I ordered on the 18th with expected delivery date of 8/20. The order left Nashville, TN on the 18th and went to Denver, CO. From there it went to Birmingham, AL then down to Montgomery, AL it almost got to me. From Montgomery, AL it went back to Denver, CO. As of this morning it is resting in Atlanta, GA.

More than likely the package figured out it was in Alabama, and jumped track to get away from Covid I can watch its travel with humor, as I don't need it for a while just ordering ahead Normally, no issues at all with USPS
3739ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 08:21 AM   #16
19Fordy

Be sure NOT TO USE those wimpy cardboard boxes made in China. Their cardboard is like glorified tissue paper and is like the boxes you find in Dollar Store packaging. You must use STRONG boxes made out of durable material. I often reinforce the box by adding more thick cardboard using Contact cement. It's annoying but makes a BIG difference.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 08-24-2021 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-24-2021, 09:37 AM   #17
RalphM

Writing “Fragile” on a box is like putting a “Kick Me” sign on a kids back at school!
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 01:17 PM   #18
itslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
This most recent package was hard to imagine even from them. This is exactly how it arrived, no BS!
That box doesn't appear to be constructed of corrugated cardboard designed for shipping. I'd place the blame for that FUBAR on whomever shipped it.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 06:50 AM   #19
fortyonerag

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3739ford View Post
I'm currently watching with a lot of amusement a part I ordered on the 18th with expected delivery date of 8/20. The order left Nashville, TN on the 18th and went to Denver, CO. From there it went to Birmingham, AL then down to Montgomery, AL it almost got to me. From Montgomery, AL it went back to Denver, CO. As of this morning it is resting in Atlanta, GA.

More than likely the package figured out it was in Alabama, and jumped track to get away from Covid I can watch its travel with humor, as I don't need it for a while just ordering ahead Normally, no issues at all with USPS
It'll be interesting to see if there is another barcode on the box when you get it. What I mean is something like a Walmart SKU barcode for the soap suds that shipped in it originally. Something like that might confuse the barcode readers on the sorting machine.

I hope you get it in good shape soon!
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 07:24 AM   #20
AnthonyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by itslow View Post
That box doesn't appear to be constructed of corrugated cardboard designed for shipping. I'd place the blame for that FUBAR on whomever shipped it.
FUBAR is a good description for sure, but I put it squarely on USPS! The box was the normal variety cardboard that that most vendors use. I’ll blame the vendor for using USPS! I truly never had a problem with UPS! The ‘Beyond Belief’ perspective I have is that the box in that condition should never have been delivered. It was obvious a machine @ a USPS sorting site ate it, OK I understand stuff happens, I’ll even give the benefit if doubt & say probably was auto loaded on a truck. But when the Local USPS site putting it out for delivery saw it, or the delivery guy guy seeing it @ delivery should have reported, returned it, left a note on it, something! None of the above happened & it was left it in a spot not normally left on the driveway away from the sight from the house ( normally put on porch or porch step. Obviously didn’t want to be seen delivering it! This definitely is on the USPS & all be it an ‘over the top’ FUBAR even for them, still among many USPS FUBAR events! I’ll add I couldn’t get a USPS rep on the phone, was on hold for 20 minutes then got disconnected! Then went in person to Local site, their answer was packages over a certain size don’t get delivered from local site but a larger zone site. Then they wouldn’t take it back until I repackaged it