Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-01-2022, 09:05 PM   #1
alexiskai

Default Snyder's drops Signal Stat 900

Just FYI for those buying turn signals, Snyder's has dropped the Signal Stat 900 from its catalog. You can still see it on the website but there's no option to buy. They've replaced it with a United Pacific chrome-plated unit. I spoke to Snyder's this morning, they said the price kept going up and, since the 900 was no longer USA-made, they wanted to offer customers a cheaper option that was, in their opinion, just as good.

You can still get the 900 from Mac's, Mike's, and from Bratton's as part of their turnkey wiring harness bundle. I know a lot of folks swear by the 900 and Snyder's website has a lot of references to it still up, so I thought this worth a mention.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 09:12 PM   #2
Dino's A

Default Re: Snyder's drops Signal Stat 900

Beware with the United Pacific chrome plated unit. The lever
is longer and has to be placed in a manner that will not
hit the window crank. It's fine other than that.
Dino's A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 09:16 PM   #3
CarlG

I got my Signal Stat 900 from Sacramento Vintage Ford as a part of a wiring harness, but that was 10+ years ago.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 04:30 AM   #4
shew01

Default Snyder's drops Signal Stat 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino's A View Post
Beware with the United Pacific chrome plated unit. The lever
is longer and has to be placed in a manner that will not
hit the window crank. It's fine other than that.

I have window clearance issues with the Signal Stat 900 too. I whack my fingers on the window crank from time to time as I’m turning the steering wheel, depending on the position of the window crank. There is no perfect aftermarket signal switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 07:17 AM   #5
Patrick L.

I align the stalk with a steering wheel spoke, with me with making sure I turn them off.

I don't have window crank handles. i must be missing something, oh ya, like windows.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 07:28 AM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
I have window clearance issues with the Signal Stat 900 too. I whack my fingers on the window crank from time to time as I’m turning the steering wheel, depending on the position of the window crank. There is no perfect aftermarket signal switch.
I think the Tickin thru Time turn signal assembly with their micro switch is pretty much perfect for a vintage retrofit. I have installed quite a few of these over the years and they are reliable, and can be mounted in the shift lever that makes them very easy to use, -OR I have mounted several under the Front Belt Rail which hides them from view but in easy reach of the driver's hand. The flasher beeper is plenty loud so as not to forget to cancel -or it can be muffled where it is barely audible.

Below are 6 pictures of two cars we have installed them on. The first car is a '29 Business Coupe that has the switch mounted onto the shift lever. The front light bulbs are mounted inside of the headlights using a separate LED due to the parking light socket being used. The additional tail lamp on the right side looks completely stock to most people and serves as the R/S turn signal.

The second set of 3 shows a 'slant-windshield' Sedan that has the same Tickin thru Time unit installed yet the small micro switch assembly is hidden under the dash rail on the far left side in easy reach of the driver. If you look closely thru the headlight lens', the front amber bulbs in this unit are incandescent 1156 bulbs that are extremely bright and illuminate well (even when the headlights are on) hidden inside of the headlights. The tail lamps in this vehicle are full LED units that are very bright. The benefit of this set-up is no modern looking external lights, nor do you lose the use of the cowl lamps. Most people never pick-up on the turn signal mounted inside of the headlights.

Therefore, the way these units are installed makes them almost stealth while retaining the original look of the vehicle, ...and IMHO, neither installation looks like an afterthought with a clunky out-of-place lever mounted onto the column tube. And, I have found this turn signal unit works well using all LEDs, or just incandescent bulbs, or mixed & matched type bulbs. That IMO makes these darn near perfect for a Model-A.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 88.1.jpg (67.7 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg 100.jpg (76.4 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg 104.jpg (112.0 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg 70.5.jpg (63.3 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg 56.jpg (91.7 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0206 (2).jpg (77.9 KB, 135 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 08:38 AM   #7
Dino's A

While I was posting my remarks about the United turn signal,
I was wondering about a turn signal that was put somewhere else.

I did think about it on the shifter as it would be easier and
out in the open with your right hand readily available. And there
it is!
Dino's A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 06:32 PM   #8
Synchro909

On two of my cars, I have a on-off-on toggle switch mounted on the steering column support. I make the toggle about 3-4" long. It is out of the way and if I need a replacement, they are available for next to nothing at any parts shop.
On one car, I have another on-off toggle switch mounted along side the first one. That switch connects right and left side indicators (the rear lights are LED). With the second switch in the OFF position, everything works normally. Put it in the ON position with the indicators on, I have hazard lights. Warning lights are mounted alongside the switches so I can see them easily.
I prefer this arrangement to the Signalstat 900 that was in a car I bought from the US years ago but not by much.
Old 08-02-2022, 06:57 PM   #9
Y-Blockhead

I think any of the turn signal units look out of place hanging off the Model A steering column. I made my own using a three position DPDT switch, probably similar to what Synchro described. It is mounted under the dash rail.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 08-02-2022 at 07:03 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 11:27 PM   #10
marc silva

My turn signal is the manual type not available from any supplier but the man above. It does however come with a feature the others do not . It is an indicator that lets inconsiderate drivers know they are being rude. You would be surprised how often that feature gets used!
marc silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 09:40 AM   #11
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc silva View Post
My turn signal is the manual type not available from any supplier but the man above. It does however come with a feature the others do not . It is an indicator that lets inconsiderate drivers know they are being rude. You would be surprised how often that feature gets used!
Haha! Good way to become target practice for some Cowboy these days tho.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 08:41 PM   #12
30Murray

I recently bought a Signal Stat 900 from a Kenworth truck parts dealer. They make them for various big trucks to plug into the wiring harness, each model a little different. You just have to cut off the terminal plug and wire up like any other. I've read too many bad reviews of those cheap chrome offshore units. The Signal Stat is well made and I think looks just fine in a Model A. If you want one, try your local big truck parts store.
30Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:33 AM   #13
bavArian

I have one of the cheap chrome units installed. It did rattle like hell at first, there's no denying that.
But after I went through the entire body it's perfectly silent now, even on rough roads or high rpms. It took some time though.
bavArian is offline   Reply With Quote