Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-05-2022, 01:17 AM   #61
SHEC

Default Re: Pricing for a rebuilt engine - been sitting for a time

Well folks the engine is a gem and man am I glad to have it in the garage....
Sweet and clean interior and bottom end, she oiled up very well. I have read several items here on this site with a need for a new or fresh engine.
I pray the original engine continues to do its duty as it has for over four decades.
Perhaps I will make this backup available to someone that truly needs it to keep a Ford on the road.
A belated Happy New Year one and all ✔️🇺🇸
SHEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 05:13 AM   #62
ronn

congrats! Nice thread and interesting read...........
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 09:18 AM   #63
2935ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big hammer View Post
It needs to come apart!. You know that that's why you only turned it 1/2 turn. All of the exposed machined parts have rusted, unless everything was coated with steam clylinder oil, it needs to come apart.
I'm with Big hammer.........it needs to come apart. Then you know exactly what you are dealing with.
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 10:32 AM   #64
ronn

I'm with Big hammer.........it needs to come apart. Then you know exactly what you are dealing with.

and that is why some of you need to pay 7k for a rebuilt engine........
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 10:50 AM   #65
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcar View Post
I apologize for the blunt remark but I just don't believe in taking advantage of someone just because I can, much less advising someone else to do it. I'm not a rich person and I'm ok with that. I just want to be treated fairly.
That is not blunt. I am with you a 100% on your comments. Nicely said.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 06:24 PM   #66
SHEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
congrats! Nice thread and interesting read...........
Thanks for the kind words and I wish you the best Model A’ing for the New Year. ✔️🇺🇸
Old 01-19-2023, 02:28 AM   #67
SHEC

Greetings folks and an update on the rebuilt engine. She is doing great with nearly a year of service and all is well.
I did not disassemble it as I knew the original gentleman mechanic that rebuilt it ( knew him all my life), I’ve also been running our original engine that he rebuilt in the late ‘70’s and it is going strong also.
You go with what you know and utilize the lessons from those you have trusted… it all seems to work out well.
Hoping the same for you and yours on the Ford road.
Old 01-19-2023, 08:43 AM   #68
CT Jack

Based on your description of how it was stored I don't see any issues with internal corrosion. There is probably a small film of oxidation/rust on components not coated with oil but this should have no adverse affects on operation. As has been previously mentioned in some of the posts the type of babbitt used, machining tolerances, undetected block or head cracks are the areas that I would question. You say you knew the mechanic who did the work very well. This person could have been the best but sometimes the nature of the beast he was working on is not always fully understood.
My guess is this engine will probably start up on the first try. A fair asking price would be $1500.
CT Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 01:10 AM   #69
SHEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Jack View Post
Based on your description of how it was stored I don't see any issues with internal corrosion. There is probably a small film of oxidation/rust on components not coated with oil but this should have no adverse affects on operation. As has been previously mentioned in some of the posts the type of babbitt used, machining tolerances, undetected block or head cracks are the areas that I would question. You say you knew the mechanic who did the work very well. This person could have been the best but sometimes the nature of the beast he was working on is not always fully understood.
My guess is this engine will probably start up on the first try. A fair asking price would be $1500.
Well yes it did start up on the first try and has been running strong now for many months. Oil changed - clean and metal free, three times on the head re torque procedures as the builder taught me in the 1970’s, after short warm up and cool down periods. This engine actuality is very similar to the original engine as far as the rebuild. .30 over on bore, cleaned up beautifully and it actually pulls stronger than the original engine he rebuilt for the car.
Very pleased and feel quite fortunate to have the power and reliability of two of my mentors engines… what a blessed Model A Ford life!
Old 01-20-2023, 07:48 AM   #70
jerrytocci

$1,200 and don't open it
jerrytocci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 04:20 AM   #71
SHEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrytocci View Post
$1,200 and don't open it
Thanks for the input ….. the engine has been in our Coupe for many months now and it is on the open road. As I wrote before, I didn’t open it up as I prepped the engine very well before firing it up. A true gift and a solid proven value at our original agreed to price.

As you can see from the the thread photo it was even prepped very well and all his engines look great while doing the job. Solid work and value all around. Well thanks for checking in…. the sun is out and I’m off for another drive today checking in on my buddies and their Winter projects.
All the best ✔️🇺🇸