Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-24-2010, 09:12 AM   #41
Tony Martino

Default Re: Flatheads and Ford Barn - Really should read.

My 2 cents: I've been on the Barn since April, been a Ford guy 10 years, been a car guy since the 50's. Everybody brings all their experience to the table. You can't turn off what you have learned, but you can focus. I drive a traditional Ford Hot Rod. I buy and sell old Ford parts as a hobby. In the last half year I have sold a lot of parts on the Barn, and have found that there are all kinds of people out there that are looking for parts to use on their cars. Most of them are here because they are traditional in some way.
The guys restoring to stock are happy to find original parts and the traditional Hot Rod guys are happy to find original parts to use on their traditional cars.
As a group, most of these guys are only here because the Barn focuses, and many of them are happy to help the other guy out, and pass on their info.
The Barn is great just how it is, My 2 cents.
Merry Christmas to all!
Tony Martino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:57 PM   #42
Richard (EV8G)

...another little comment regarding "traditional" cars or hot rods; the media usage of this term to describe pretty much ANY car with steelies/caps/trim rings, regardless of the rest of the car, has rendered the term "traditional" very imprecise. Accordingly, it has become necessary to add the word "true" when describing one that actually is, as opposed to one that is actually a Street Rod with the obligatory 350/350/9"/ASC rails/repro body etc. etc. that
happens to have the above-mentioned wheels and tires... This distinction is
very necessary when determining if a particular car might be appropriate for a particular event where it matters...

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL! Peace on earth and at the Ford Barn...
Old 12-24-2010, 04:08 PM   #43
tom/illinois

My sentiments also Tony. Don't know what all the Hoopla is about. Some just want to stir the pot.
tom/illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:27 PM   #44
Tinker

Traditional or period correct? A model A with a 350 combo could be considered a traditional hot rod. So I like to say period correct. Period correct 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's? Each definitely have a look and a method to the build.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:27 PM   #45
paul2748

Sure sounds like a police man to me. The original Ford barn was about modified and stock flatheads. Why be so hoity-toity (to use an old phrase).

My mother always told me to MYOB

And yes, I belong to both.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:35 PM   #46
leebros60

im kind of new to this but i love the rod and custom mags which have been around a long time. now there is a variety of that type of mag and i love them all. when i was a kid they were full of fords and still are. they had all types of engines and most were adapted to a ford trans, so the whole car was old ford except the engine. i think those cars are great along with originals. THEY ARE ALL FORDS, so does it really matter?
leebros60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:25 PM   #47
X38

Some would say the engine is the heart.
X38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:22 AM   #48
Ray Parson

CANT we all just Getalong happy man is the man with a flathead in his home his home is his work shop right
Ray Parson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:34 AM   #49
Ray Parson

that guy with the dark stuff on his head is he lost looks out of place lol
Ray Parson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:43 AM   #50
Fibber Mcgee

I'm new on here so I'm not sure what my opinion is worth but I personally am on here to keep mine as close to original as possible but I like to hear about modifications to I'm here to learn.I thought we were on here for the love of the FLATHEAD,so I've been very happy just please don't ask how to remove a flathead and replace it with a SBC.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:16 AM   #51
sanborn

I love the FordBarn! It's one of the first I pull up in the morning.

My love for flatheads goes back many years to when I was a young teen. I wanted a bad, fast car---the only problem was I had VERY limited money. I wanted a 40 coupe, but they cost just too much, about $350-$500. So I had to settle for a Model A Coupe, much cheaper and much lighter as well. I learned that a flathead V8(warmed up of course) in a Model A coupe could run almost as fast as the hot ticket at that time----a 57 Chev, stick shift, etc. So that became my first love---fast yet I could afford it.

Over the years, I went drag racing and the SB GM became the norm. Then later came circle track racing and Mopars were our choice and here we are 50 years later and we still run Mopars in front engined dragsters.

I still love the flatheads and my next car will have a "hot lick" flathead in it. Heck, if I could afford an Ardun----the Cobra engine in our 40 ford would come out----but affording it is another matter.

With all this said, I appreciate an original car, a modified car or a street rod. I don't look at GM powered Fords much, but Ford powered Fords I do appreciate. But I do appreciate Cords, Auburns, etc as well. I think the Ford Barn is large enough for all!
sanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:01 PM   #52
Byron Warwick

Don't forget about us Canucks who run many 1954 flatties, both Ford and Merc and Meteor. Byron.