Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-27-2023, 08:20 AM   #1
Rusty Karz

Default Doors banging

The doors on my 31 Tudor seem to be banging against the outer door frame as I drive on less than perfect roads. It is almost like the doors are slightly too small. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening and what to do about it?
Rusty Karz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 08:25 AM   #2
jw hash

Default Re: Doors banging

make sure the rubber pads are installed correctly. there is ne at the top and one at the bottom. also check your dove tail.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 08:28 AM   #3
Rusty Karz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw hash View Post
make sure the rubber pads are installed correctly. there is ne at the top and one at the bottom. also check your dove tail.
There seems to be a lot of body flex. Is this normal? This is the only Model A I have ever driven or even ridden in. It has been a project for way too long.

Last edited by Rusty Karz; 05-27-2023 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-27-2023, 10:31 AM   #4
Model "A" Fords

Rusty, With the door closed try pushing and pulling on the outside handle to see if it will move or rattle. Open the door and hold it by the outside edge to see if it moves up and down. Are there loose fasteners? The hinges, pins, dovetails, rubber, Latches or striker plate could be worn. Likely one or more of these need tightening replacing or repair.

New rubber, dovetails, striker plates, hinges and fasteners can be purchased from the dealers. Also available are oversized pins to repair hinges.

As far as the body I would consider the Model "A" passenger car flexible but "AA" trucks not so much.
Model "A" Fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 12:17 PM   #5
Big hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Karz View Post
There seems to be a lot of body flex. Is this normal? This is the only Model A I have ever driven or even ridden in. It has been a project for way too long.
You shouldn’t have body flex in a tudor something is wrong, I would check for your body mounting bolts for tightness, possibly the wooden body mounting blocks are rotten.Tudors have a wood header above the windshield and above the doors back to midway above the quarter window,These are structural wood.Wooden bows in the top just to hold up the top material, pillar has some wooden filler, and a wooden frame around the rear window.
Old 05-27-2023, 01:30 PM   #6
Rusty Karz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big hammer View Post
You shouldn’t have body flex in a tudor something is wrong, I would check for your body mounting bolts for tightness, possibly the wooden body mounting blocks are rotten.Tudors have a wood header above the windshield and above the doors back to midway above the quarter window,These are structural wood.Wooden bows in the top just to hold up the top material, pillar has some wooden filler, and a wooden frame around the rear window.
The body blocks were purchased new about 5 years ago from Snyder's. It is entirely possible that I have not shimmed the body properly. I will double check the mounting bolts to see if I forgot to tighten any of them. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2023, 01:35 PM   #7
Rusty Karz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model "A" Fords View Post
Rusty, With the door closed try pushing and pulling on the outside handle to see if it will move or rattle. Open the door and hold it by the outside edge to see if it moves up and down. Are there loose fasteners? The hinges, pins, dovetails, rubber, Latches or striker plate could be worn. Likely one or more of these need tightening replacing or repair.

New rubber, dovetails, striker plates, hinges and fasteners can be purchased from the dealers. Also available are oversized pins to repair hinges.

As far as the body I would consider the Model "A" passenger car flexible but "AA" trucks not so much.
Where does the rubber go on these doors? They don't have any that I can see at present. The doors close tightly. It seems like the door oscillates in the door frame when the roads are not smooth.
Old 05-27-2023, 05:40 PM   #8
Model "A" Fords

Quote:
Where does the rubber go on these doors? They don't have any that I can see at present. The doors close tightly. It seems like the door oscillates in the door frame when the roads are not smooth.
Rusty, If you go on snyders site and look for door bumpers. Once there click additional information then instructions and you will see what they look like and where they go. While on this sight check out the other door parts.
Model "A" Fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 06:14 PM   #9
Synchro909

Didn't Ford have a part number for those rattles and bangs?
Old 05-28-2023, 11:02 AM   #10
arnhemmer

Quote:
The doors on my 31 Tudor seem to be banging against the outer door frame as I drive on less than perfect roads. It is almost like the doors are slightly too small. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening and what to do about it?
I had the same problem. Replaced all the rubber pads and dovetails. All is good.
arnhemmer is offline   Reply With Quote